ADVERTISEMENT

Global Warming Solution?

Just gonna leave this here. And eventually, I'll probably scoot this thing over to the 24/7 board.

15134700_10205929673960041_1735378859462526048_n.jpg

The religious right and political conservatives deny global warming for their own unique selfish reasons and one common one.

Selfish conservatives have no regard whatsoever for any naturally-existing thing on the planet from which they can squeeze a dime. They don't give a rat's azz about the condition they leave the Earth in, because they're going to die before it gets real nasty and after that, they won't care. So let's call their selfish reason greed.

There are many isolated facts that don't agree with the overall picture. Not every change is happening at the same speed. Yes, antarctic ice has increased. But the increase doesn't account for even 30 percent of the ice has already disappeared from the arctic ice. Where did all that water go? Well, it's in the ocean and it's the reason rising water is forcing indigenous people off their islands in the Pacific. It's the reason summer rain showers flood Miami now because the sea level is too high to let the city storm sewers drain properly. The overall picture is the place to look.

The selfish religious right can't accept global warming because to do so is tantamount to giving up the battle over its evil twin evolution as well. In their eyes, science is absolutely the work of the devil because it kicks the under-pining out from under all three western religions. The one thing that holds them all together is the idea that God created Man in His own image. Without that pillar as fact, Abrahamic religions disappear. So let's call their selfish reason self-preservation, since so many of them claim that without God they have no life.

So while we're still waiting for that first drop of proof that anything in Genesis 1 really happened, the ocean has filled with proof that it didn't. Darwin never saw a fossil in his life. He didn't need one to outline his premise, yet every fossil that's been found falls into place and bolsters what became the theory of evolution. Darwin didn't need to understand genome mapping or how the 21st Century would provide even more sub-molecular information and factual evidence to show that he was exactly right.

Evolution is settled science. Global warming is happening, too, and we're fools to not try to slow it down. People on this board in their 20's, 30's and even 40's will easily live to see the day when the world says, "Why didn't we start working on this earlier?"

And the one common reason right-wing religions and political conservatives have for opposing global warming? They need each other because they cannot exist alone. How long will either last without the other? One election cycle? Two? They cling to each other like socks and underwear in the dryer.

Every Republican since the 1930's through Reagan, Bush, Bush, and even Trump (Trump!) used the religious right to get elected and then threw them scraps like abortions, gays and "one nation, under God," for as long as they could get away with it.

Without the Republican party to give the Religious Right power to force their will on Christians, pseudoChristians (Mormons and other 3.2% Christians) and non-Christians alike every few years through legislation, the whole right-wing religious movement would dry up just like it has everywhere else in the world. I personally don't care what religion a person follows. I don't consider it any of my business UNTIL someone's religion wants to deny science and legislate my behavior based on its religious beliefs. Who raises the biggest poopstorm about Sharia law in America? The same people who want to install the Ten Commandments in every classroom and courthouse lawn in America. Did everyone turn their irony meters off?

I don't worry too much about the opinions the religious right and conservatives hold about science because I see them board giant aluminum cans with jet engines that are going to hurl their weak and fragile bodies through the air at 600 miles an hour while they download movies, work crosswords or read e-mails on their iphones. They have no more clue how any of that works than they do evolution and global warming but they'll come around one day. I've given up on living to see it myself, but it will happen. Even in America.

Selfish conservatives have no regard whatsoever for any naturally-existing thing on the planet from which they can squeeze a dime. They don't give a rat's azz about the condition they leave the Earth in, because they're going to die before it gets real nasty and after that, they won't care. So let's call their selfish reason greed.

Nope.

The atheistic left has nothing but altruistic motivations for global warming hysteria.

All Gore has changed nothing personally in his life other than the fact that he's become filthy rich because of his involvement in the movement.

Then there's the inconvenient truth that the numbers have been severely fudged to accommodate the theory. It's nothing more than a scheme to insure that grant money continues to flow towards invested individuals and a means of transferring wealth for the left.

As Gorbachev said in the 90s: "Green is the new red."

Talk to me.

Remember, we're not talking about you and me. We're talking about people with money and lots of it. You know, REAL people. People who count. The membership of this board couldn't raise enough money to take Jim "Snowballs" Inhofe to lunch, unless Boone started posting again.

The average schmuck on the street will never have enough money to take advantage of global warming one way or the other but people who have millions or billions invested in non-renewables do and they're not going to give up a dime just because thousands of scientists think they're screwing with the future of the planet.

Reactions: Been Jammin
"Severely fudged" numbers again? You've got to get off that kick. A few guys try to make a name for themselves by tampering with results and who caught them? Other scientists. No one gets away with shit like that -- not for very long, anyway.

All they do is check each other's numbers. When numbers don't add up the whole community jumps on it to see where the problem was. Peer review. When 97% of the people around the globe who study these data every day say, "Here's the way it looks right now," you can bet the 3% left over are your fringe kooks.

Now that the numbers from NASA are consistently bad, what does the new administration propose? "Well, lets pull the plug on the money NASA spends looking at the Earth. That'll fix 'em."

Don't like the message? Shoot the messenger. That'll take care of global warming for a few years. Except for those pesky scientists overseas who are capable of launching their own instruments in a few years.

Oh, now we're the "atheistic left"? Gosh, I thought it was just me. Let me know right before you declare me a "godless communist" so I can be sure have my guns loaded when you sic the immigration police on me.

You may be happy to know almost every liberal I know in Oklahoma is a god-fearing Christian of one persuasion or another and several of the atheists I meet with are conservative as hell. God help me.

"Severely fudged" numbers again? You've got to get off that kick. A few guys try to make a name for themselves by tampering with results and who caught them? Other scientists. No one gets away with shit like that -- not for very long, anyway.

All they do is check each other's numbers. When numbers don't add up the whole community jumps on it to see where the problem was. Peer review. When 97% of the people around the globe who study these data every day say, "Here's the way it looks right now," you can bet the 3% left over are your fringe kooks.

Now that the numbers from NASA are consistently bad, what does the new administration propose? "Well, lets pull the plug on the money NASA spends looking at the Earth. That'll fix 'em."

Don't like the message? Shoot the messenger. That'll take care of global warming for a few years. Except for those pesky scientists overseas who are capable of launching their own instruments in a few years.

Oh, now we're the "atheistic left"? Gosh, I thought it was just me. Let me know right before you declare me a "godless communist" so I can be sure have my guns loaded when you sic the immigration police on me.

You may be happy to know almost every liberal I know in Oklahoma is a god-fearing Christian of one persuasion or another and several of the atheists I meet with are conservative as hell. God help me.

Don't get pissy. You were the first one that started throwing out baseless pejorative terms.

NASA isn't the only group that has been throwing out fudged numbers.

This is a money game. Lots of people need to justify their research to continue to recieve grant monies.

15 to 20 years ago the alarmists pointed to models and were screaming that NYC would now be under water and we would all have to be wearing protective suits when we left shelter.

This is a money game. Lots of people need to justify their research to continue to recieve grant monies.

This sentence made me laugh.

If you believe "this is a money game", then how can you not fall on the side of "Global Warming is real"? Who has more money....scientists who want to do research or energy/technology companies around the world? Do you honestly believe that the scientists grant money is equal to more than 5% of the profits that the tech/energy companies are making every year?

It makes much more sense that the people who stand to gain by claiming that GW is not real would pull out all the stops, do something dishonest, and have the means to do so, than it does that multiple groups of scientists would do so in order to bring in grant money.

If you believe "this is a money game", then how can you not fall on the side of "Global Warming is real"? Who has more money....scientists who want to do research or energy/technology companies around the world? Do you honestly believe that the scientists grant money is equal to more than 5% of the profits that the tech/energy companies are making every year?

It makes much more sense that the people who stand to gain by claiming that GW is not real would pull out all the stops, do something dishonest, and have the means to do so, than it does that multiple groups of scientists would do so in order to bring in grant money.

I'm not denying your claims.

I also happen to have a very long memory and know that nothing has occurred that the "experts" and alarmists were screaming about 20 to 30 years ago.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Aggies boy what do you do to combat global warming? Hopefully more than those super honest atheist celebrities. Looking forward to reading your efforts. I assume you don't drive, refrigerate your food and wear several layers in the winter while your heater is off in your one room cabin.

Reactions: AC_Exotic

A few guys??? Right.

The guys who caught them are "other scientists" for which you show almost nothing but derision.

The answer to has more money is the U.S. and other western economies with which to enrich those who sell schemes like carbon credits, etc., which will do absolutely zilch to effect any change in the overall climate.

If you're a scientist in a related field you are absolutely not going to get a cent in grants from any governmental entity for any research suggesting that catastrophic claims about AGW are unfounded.

Last edited:
No one ever suggested 15-20 years ago that NYC would be under water by 2015-2020. Do you get all your news from Facebook?

They did say low-lying islands in the Pacific would be inundated and it's happening. They said the arctic icecap would melt and its happening. They said Miami would be the first major US city to be threatened and its happening.

And yes, I live just like the Amish. Seriously, I do everything my government asks of me -- I drive vehicles which release 85% less pollutants than my first car a few decades ago, my electric cooperative buys energy from wind farms, every light bulb in my house is LED which uses 80-90% less energy than incandescent, every appliance I own uses less energy and less water than 20 years ago and a LOT less than 50 years ago.

We all do those things because the government requires them and we've all been dragged, kicking and screaming, into a new reality. It's been good for all of us. I make long shopping lists and don't drive to town just because we're low on milk. I can't do a lot, but the government can.

When has the auto industry ever reacted to more stringent regulations from the EPA by saying, "No problem, we can meet those standards!"? It's always, "No way, the EPA is going to destroy the economy!"

And yet time after time the industry has met the standards and advertised cars that "exceed the new EPA standards!" and the economy continues to grow despite the EPA. Look at the air over Los Angeles. Pretty clear. You could walk on that stuff when I was a kid.

Look at the air in Beijing. It's obvious we need to lead the world to recognize the problem we're all in -- not ignore the problem. Even Trump now says, "ok, maybe global warming is not a Chinese hoax. Not a hoax." Of course he's running away from every campaign statement he made so who knows what he's really going to do.

Remember CFC's? If you do, you also remember that banning them would "destroy the economy." The US took a world leadership role in banning them to save the ozone layer which will be "healed" by 2065.

No one misses CFC's and the economy continues to grow. Clearly it was a man-made problem and a man-made solution is allowing the planet to recover. That's the kind of leadership we should all expect.

I expect my government to isolate causes of problems and act on them, not ignore them. Getting most of the world to agree we need to do something about global warming was an important first step. The Paris Accords need teeth and that will be the hard part. But we won't have any leverage to negotiate that if we run away and say there was never any problem in the first place.

Celebrities can't do much. But they can be heard, which is more than anyone on this board can do. The idea that they're all liberal is another paranoiac myth. Plenty of right-wingers in Hollywood, too.

And in the 70s before that, the leftists predicted we were headed for another ice age.

Just last year, because Temps were cooler, the code word became "climate change" instead of global warming.

Now we can talk of global warming again because of unseasonably warmer temperatures.

No one ever suggested 15-20 years ago that NYC would be under water by 2015-2020. Do you get all your news from Facebook?

They did say low-lying islands in the Pacific would be inundated and it's happening. They said the arctic icecap would melt and its happening. They said Miami would be the first major US city to be threatened and its happening.

And yes, I live just like the Amish. Seriously, I do everything my government asks of me -- I drive vehicles which release 85% less pollutants than my first car a few decades ago, my electric cooperative buys energy from wind farms, every light bulb in my house is LED which uses 80-90% less energy than incandescent, every appliance I own uses less energy and less water than 20 years ago and a LOT less than 50 years ago.

We all do those things because the government requires them and we've all been dragged, kicking and screaming, into a new reality. It's been good for all of us. I make long shopping lists and don't drive to town just because we're low on milk. I can't do a lot, but the government can.

When has the auto industry ever reacted to more stringent regulations from the EPA by saying, "No problem, we can meet those standards!"? It's always, "No way, the EPA is going to destroy the economy!"

And yet time after time the industry has met the standards and advertised cars that "exceed the new EPA standards!" and the economy continues to grow despite the EPA. Look at the air over Los Angeles. Pretty clear. You could walk on that stuff when I was a kid.

Look at the air in Beijing. It's obvious we need to lead the world to recognize the problem we're all in -- not ignore the problem. Even Trump now says, "ok, maybe global warming is not a Chinese hoax. Not a hoax." Of course he's running away from every campaign statement he made so who knows what he's really going to do.

Remember CFC's? If you do, you also remember that banning them would "destroy the economy." The US took a world leadership role in banning them to save the ozone layer which will be "healed" by 2065.

No one misses CFC's and the economy continues to grow. Clearly it was a man-made problem and a man-made solution is allowing the planet to recover. That's the kind of leadership we should all expect.

I expect my government to isolate causes of problems and act on them, not ignore them. Getting most of the world to agree we need to do something about global warming was an important first step. The Paris Accords need teeth and that will be the hard part. But we won't have any leverage to negotiate that if we run away and say there was never any problem in the first place.

Celebrities can't do much. But they can be heard, which is more than anyone on this board can do. The idea that they're all liberal is another paranoiac myth. Plenty of right-wingers in Hollywood, too.

So you have new new appliances and new cars. One day of practice flights at tinker air force base wipes out every contribution you make.

blah blah blah ...

You do realize that the 97% number is completely false, right?. The actual number is about 1%.

Anyone who cites the 97% figure on this subject can be immediately dismissed as either a fool or a liar.

Last edited:
Aggies boy what do you do to combat global warming? Hopefully more than those super honest atheist celebrities. Looking forward to reading your efforts. I assume you don't drive, refrigerate your food and wear several layers in the winter while your heater is off in your one room cabin.
Dishonest attempt to divert the conversation.

Anyone who cites the 97% figure on thus subject can be immediately dismissed as either a fool or a liar.
Just so I get in on this... 97 percent of climate scientists agree that there is a global warming trend and that human beings are the main cause–that is, that humans are over 50% responsible.

Would you care to refute this specific citation?

Dishonest attempt to divert the conversation.

Showing there is zero logic to the actions of the alarmists is not diverting the conversation. Unless you live in a tree and your sole source of protein is grasshoppers than you are full of shit.

For example. I'm against murder. I prove that through not murdering.

Cook has been confirmed by Doran... your citations are out of date: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2009EO030002/full
And of course Anderegg also confirms consensus...
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/27/12107.abstract

Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that (i) 97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field surveyed here support the tenets of ACC outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and (ii) the relative climate expertise and scientific prominence of the researchers unconvinced of ACC are substantially below that of the convinced researchers.

And in the 70s before that, the leftists predicted we were headed for another ice age.

Just last year, because Temps were cooler, the code word became "climate change" instead of global warming.

Now we can talk of global warming again because of unseasonably warmer temperatures.

Do you have any clue what kind of data they were relying on in the 1970's? You do the best you can with what you have and they did. Leftists? Good grief.

"Just last year..." AC you're getting as bad as me. That was a decade ago, but I won't tell.

Anyone who cites the 97% figure on thus subject can be immediately dismissed as either a fool or a liar.

I'll be your Huckleberry. Does it matter how many "support" the predictions? You can go to places and SEE the predictions coming true. What's your response to real events in the Pacific and Miami?

Reactions: TheRedSon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT