ADVERTISEMENT

Glenn Frey

If you haven't seen the documentary about the Eagles on Netflix or wherever, it's a definite for Eagles fans. Very detailed accounts from their start to current.

It has been a crazy 24 hours for music fans.

In the last 24 hours, the following have passed away.

Clarence Reid aka Blowfly, musician/songwriter/producer
Dale Griffin, drummer Mott The Hoople
Mic Gillette, founding member, Tower Of Power
Glenn Frey, guitarist/singer The Eagles
Gary Loizzo, singer The American Breed, sound engineer for Styx

You post like avg music lovers would even know who mot the hoople, blowfly, etc are.

Anyone know of the name of the Eagles documentary and if it is on Netflix?
Not sure about Netflix, but it's on Showtime on demand and on Youtube. Re-watched it the last two nights. Titled "History of the Eagles" parts one and two.

Glen and Don come off as really controlling, sourpuss a-holes. Don's always been this way publicly but Glen was a bit of a surprise. Just a guy always looking to keep the rest of the band in their place and keep his spot as co-lead with Don. Petty stuff really.

Great, great footage of 70's live performances and backstage stuff. Gives a really good feel of the era and the SoCal music scene of the time.

Couple the doc with the "I lost my virginity to David Bowie" article put on in November, and you get a pretty fair picture of what the times were like.

Reactions: Sebastian
Not sure about Netflix, but it's on Showtime on demand and on Youtube. Re-watched it the last two nights. Titled "History of the Eagles" parts one and two.

Glen and Don come off as really controlling, sourpuss a-holes. Don's always been this way publicly but Glen was a bit of a surprise. Just a guy always looking to keep the rest of the band in their place and keep his spot as co-lead with Don. Petty stuff really.

Great, great footage of 70's live performances and backstage stuff. Gives a really good feel of the era and the SoCal music scene of the time.

Couple the doc with the "I lost my virginity to David Bowie" article put on in November, and you get a pretty fair picture of what the times were like.

It is on Netflix. Watching it right now. Damn Linda Ronstadt was so freaking hot back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeState03
I always preferred Frey's vocals, even more so than Henley's (crazy, I know).

I would've taken exception to Frey's and Henley's handling of the band during the reunion. Pretty dickheaded. What's lost in the whole, Frey and Henley wrote all their songs thing, is the fact that Felder and Walsh created most all of the riffs that they built there songs around. Granted, they added vocals, melody, bridges (An Eagles forte), etc., I just thought more credit should've been shared since even a small contribution to a song is meaningful. Hell, Walsh & Felder's co-created solo to Hotel California is more valuable than the rest of the song, just my opinion.

I spent most of my youth listening to the Eagles with the TV off while my mother cooked dinner. It was her thing.

It is on Netflix. Watching it right now. Damn Linda Ronstadt was so freaking hot back then.
book-simpledreams-lindarondstadt-650.jpg

linda-ronstadt-net-worth2.jpg
Linda_Ronstadt_1.jpg

Found the documentary on Netflix and watch all three hours in one setting. Although they were in my era (graduated HS in 79 and OSU in 83) I didn't know much about the members. I got the picture that Frey and Henley had massive egos and wanted the band to know it. Loved the concert footage and the crowds...it was my youth.

Found the documentary on Netflix and watch all three hours in one setting. Although they were in my era (graduated HS in 79 and OSU in 83) I didn't know much about the members. I got the picture that Frey and Henley had massive egos and wanted the band to know it. Loved the concert footage and the crowds...it was my youth.
The massive ego thing seems extremely prevalent in music, probably because it's fairly easy to bail on your band and get your name up in lights. Lots of folks really seem to need people to know they're just a little more special that the other folks they make music with.

Reactions: MegaPoke
The thing that cracked me up was when Frey 'justified' disproportionate payouts to band members because he and Henley were the only two that had 'done anything' since the Eagles split. As if his solo career was worth a wet fart compared to Henley's, and that he believed his to be so vastly superior to Walsh's.

Look bro, sing Peaceful Easy Feeling and stfu, would've rolled off my tongue with scary ease.

Reactions: TPOKE
I like how they were worried about not having enough rock and roll sound/cred, so they hired Joe Walsh to join the band. Then one of them, Don Felder actually does shows some true rock and roll cajones by saying to wanker Senator Alan Cranston, "You're welcome, I guess" when Cranston was thanking them for doing a benefit on his behalf. Glenn Frey cited this as the beginning of the end because it pissed off Frey and Henley!

I think they were all a$$holes except Walsh and probably Randy Meisner who quit to spend time with his family. And I like a lot of their music. Henley has a great voice. His solo material has a lot more depth than most of the Eagles stuff IMO. But, he has always taken himself way too seriously.

Agree, I don't think Meisner had a mean bone in his body. But that's expected when you can hit the 'high C' like he can. I would've paid money, not to party with, but just watch Walsh destroy a hotel room.

pretty cool that meisner was with the band last year in Okc. I didn't know he was touring with them. It made my day since I hadn't seen him with them since the Desperado tour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT