ADVERTISEMENT

Getting ready for Hunting season...

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
It's slow around here and I smashed one of my trail camera last year. It's a new year. For about 200 bucks, give or take fifty bucks, what's the best/most reliable trail camera in your opinions? Was looking at Cabelas black flash camera for 200, but don't know it's reliability. Ideas/preferences?

Bushnell Trophy Cam hands down. Me and a few of my friends use them and havent had a single problem. They take thousands of pics before changing out the AA batteries, and are easy to use. You could probably find a couple of the first generation cameras for about $200 for both, but the new ones are about $200 a piece.

I second the above...I use two of them, and they are outstanding.

However, I did just buy a "home-brew" camera from a gentleman in North Dakota. It should run all season from june on 2 rechargeable AA, 1 9volt and 2 D batteries. The picture quality is by far the best of all my cameras and it is easy to work.

I would rank my cams;

1. Home-brew - $130
2. Bushnell - $200+
3. Cuddeback - $180
4. Pick an of my wildgames - $70 to $100
5. Wildviews - who knows

Originally posted by Pokes15:

Bushnell Trophy Cam hands down. Me and a few of my friends use them and havent had a single problem. They take thousands of pics before changing out the AA batteries, and are easy to use. You could probably find a couple of the first generation cameras for about $200 for both, but the new ones are about $200 a piece.

I personally would not use anything that can be bought at Walmart, Bass Pro, etc. because the failure rate is excessive. Buddies and I have had Moultrie's, Bushnell's , etc. and had problems depending on the camera every other year. The only ones to buy other than homebrews is HCO's, Scoutguards, LilAcorns, etc. I have had a few small probs with these however, unlike Moultrie and Bushnell, the customer service is outstanding.

Also, for best info see linky.....

http://chasingame.com/

The Scoutguard camera I dropped from waist high in some grass broke looks like the lens broke inside the cam. 3 yrs old, so it is likely out of warranty now. Worked well when it worked. I'm going to try a trophy cam due to pretty good reviews. I'll try another scoutguard as well, but sure have to be careful with them. The scoutguard was very picky about which SD card it would work with... I hope the newer ones are more forgiving.

I have 8 trophy cams. love them.

if price is an issue I have heard great things about the primos cams.

Scout guards have a piece that rattles around and moves in the lens so be careful before junking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT