ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thoughts - Piggies

osu2082

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
We have to be better at early game scripting on both sides of the ball. I understand teams are going to line up to try and take away the run but when you have a Heisman contender at RB you can’t fall into the trap of analytics or defensive setup too much. 11 of our 14 plays on those first three drives were pass plays.

Bowman is going to be a good steady leader for us and should put up big numbers at times with the defenses he sees but he isn’t a guy you can put a game on his shoulders. He isn’t a game winning type of QB.

I really like what I have seen with this OL these first two weeks but our play calling has to help them out. They will be more than adequate this season and might turn into a strength (which is crazy to think about). They did a great job today in pas pro and really nullifying the pass rush of Ark.

Our team and this offense is very tough to defend when balanced, when they establish the run and when we get a lead. When we can’t to the above it becomes really stagnant and the limitations of our QB are put in the spotlight. This unit sort of is what it is and so game planning and scripting will be vital all year.

Defensively we didn’t pester or pressure their QB enough especially in that first half. He is limited in the passing game, holds onto the ball to long and is turnover prone under pressure and we didn’t do it consistently enough. Our secondary just lacks overall top end talent. Our LBs are good but lack some size which hurts against the run. Our DL is deep and has some potential but overall average at best right now. Need this deep group to step up and be a strength.

We saw some very concerning flaws and limitations with this team if we are discussing potential CFP hopes but a close comeback win like this early can be a major point of reference to look back on after a big season. The resolve, belief and experience shown to stay in that game and keep grinding is a good sign.

Defensively there are issues, especially with the secondary but that unit buckled down in the second half and only allowed 10 points and made the big stop in the 2nd OT. Offensively we made the plays needed when we needed them.

Lots of reasons we probably should have lost that game and we can be frustrated with the overall performance and the issues that reared their head but we battled back and are 2-0. Outside of maybe a handful of teams there is a lot of parity in CFB. I think we will be in lots a close games this year and winning a game like today the way we won it could pay dividends down the road in those close games.

Lots of time to tighten some things up in the secondary (hopefully) and to get the DL to step up their play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.