ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thoughts - ISU

osu2082

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
Even though I hate the saying, this was as close to a must win as we have had in a few years. Coming off of an embarrassing home loss to a Sun Belt team and with the ending of 2022 still lingering this felt like a tipping point. Lose this one today and you were going to start getting nervous looking at the schedule and trying to find some more wins and fearing we were about to fall off a cliff. Well….

First, Iowa State is a bad team who was really hurt with the gambling scandal that took Bruce from us. Even though this was on the road a good showing and win was desperately needed as they lacked the offense to really hurt us on paper and lacked the pass rush to give our QB trouble. We matched up with them about as well as we will in conference.

I’m very happy we decided to go with one QB and prep him as such this week. He has a low ceiling but is experienced and can make some throws and at times made some nice throws. He really struggled early but made a big throw on a great play design to tie it up at 14 to Nixon. We actually got him in a rhythm in that drive and it looked like maybe he was about to get comfortable. Unfortunately that low ceiling showed up and you saw more of what some of us were really concerned with. Sporadic throws, throws into traffic and really struggles if he gets pressure.

Defensively we were again strong against the run and I do think this front really gives team problems. Now ISU is really out manned in the backfield but our DL continues to play well which is probably the strength (maybe our our only strength) of our entire team right now.

Our secondary is just a mess especially our safeties and LBs in coverage. It is just a major weakness of this defense and that might be being kind. Harper, Muhammed and Cobb were just big losses. The play of KD has been hard to understand so far this year. The other members of the secondary are just not players at this level. This was a very limited and poor ISU team that put up 34 points and set season records in several categories.

I’m just not sure what is going to play out the rest of this season but it’s hard to see much hope. It’s just crazy we have intentionally moved to this point offensively. Sad day for us Cowboy fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News