ADVERTISEMENT

From Anadarko to South Dakota State, Kenyon BigBow returns vs. Oklahoma State football

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

From Anadarko to South Dakota State, Kenyon BigBow returns vs. Oklahoma State football​

Portrait of Joe MussattoJoe Mussatto
The Oklahoman

South Dakota State offensive lineman Kenyon BigBow requested two tickets, the maximum allowed, for his team’s season-opener Saturday at Oklahoma State.

BigBow could’ve used two dozen. Maybe more.

Because despite going to school in Brookings, South Dakota, the former Anadarko High School standout is set to make his college debut just two hours from home.

And you better believe all 5,745 people in the Caddo County community 61 miles southwest of Oklahoma City are behind him.

BigBow’s dad, Kenyon Sr., expects the BigBow cheering section to be 30 to 40 strong in Stillwater. Family and friends and former teammates and teachers will be scattered throughout Boone Pickens Stadium.

“They’re all going,” Kenyon BigBow Sr. said. “Anadarko is a small town, so we all know everybody.”

75002947007-thumbnail-screenshot-20240829-153601-gallery.jpg

Kenyon Jr. said he’s most excited to play in front of his mom and dad.

“My parents have been with me throughout this whole journey,” BigBow said.

BigBow, who is Comanche and Kiowa, could’ve gone to OSU as a preferred walk-on, and OU gave him a look, but the 6-foot-5 and 295-pound offensive lineman ultimately accepted a scholarship offer from South Dakota State. The Jackrabbits were fresh off their first FCS national championship, which they defended last season by going back-to-back.

BigBow redshirted in 2023 without playing a snap. This season he’s listed as South Dakota State’s backup left tackle.

“Kenyon BigBow has been lights out since he’s been here,” South Dakota State coach Jimmy Rogers said. “We’re really excited about his growth because he’s only one year into the program, this being his second year. He’s been dinged up some, but he’s finally healthy and looks great now.”

The Jackrabbits have two more offensive linemen with Oklahoma connections. Former Sooner Marcus Hicks, listed as the backup right tackle, transferred to South Dakota State last winter. And Dawson Rudd, from Claremore, played in eight games last season as a redshirt freshman.

“He was actually the first dude I met when I came up here,” BigBow said of Rudd. “He showed me around, which was really cool.”

75002948007-thumbnail-screenshot-20240829-153424-gallery.jpg

South Dakota State tight ends coach Chris Meyers, a former offensive graduate assistant at OSU, is in charge of recruiting in Oklahoma and Kansas.

Norman North quarterback Owen Eshelman and Jenks defensive lineman Cash Jacobsen, both in the 2025 class, are committed to South Dakota State.

The Oklahoman ranked Eshelman as the fifth-best quarterback in Oklahoma high school football. Jacobsen was ranked as the No. 8 defensive lineman in the state.

South Dakota State, winners of 29 straight, has taken North Dakota State’s place as the No. 1 team in the FCS. Despite its remote location, it’s easy to see the allure.

“The work culture here is crazy,” BigBow said. “Everybody works hard, goes 100% no matter what day or time it is. The leadership is also really phenomenal here, too.”

Rogers, in his second season as head coach, took over for the legendary John Stiegelmeir, who held the job for 26 years. BigBow was first recruited by Stiegelmeir.

“He really wanted to go somewhere that he felt wanted,” Kenyon BigBow Sr. said. “Not just a number or a spot to fill.”

Since arriving at South Dakota State, BigBow has received encouragement and support from Native American communities across the Dakotas and Montana.

“You’ve got a bunch of little eyeballs looking up to you,” his dad tells him.

None more so than in Anadarko.

“This really means a lot to me to come back,” BigBow said, “to be in my home state.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.