ADVERTISEMENT

For Sale Fraternity House - Norman, cheap!!!!

hollywood

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
What a bunch of knuckleheads in the SAE house down there.

If you haven't seen it, video of them singing on a bus on the way to the founder's day dance, singing " ....there will never be a ni**er SAE, there will never be a ni**er SAE, you can hang 'em from a tree......" etc.

Looks like National and ou is on their ass. I would imagine that SAE National will yank their charter and evict them and ou will probably revoke their university affiliation.

There were some issues with their OSU chapter when I was there. Hazing, some drug problems and some racial issues arising in the "House of Southern Gentlemen."

I knew a couple of pretty good guys from their house, but they seemed to be in a minority.

BTW, it's making national news now, I would expect it to be covered extensively by the national and local press tomorrow.
This post was edited on 3/8 11:36 PM by hollywood

Heard that exact same quote from a guy I worked with in 1986 who had been a member at Ole Miss. I was shocked then but passed it off as an SEC / Mississippi thing. Hard to believe they are still clinging to it thirty years later.

What a bunch of dumbasses. Any chance this becomes a National Charter thing and it comes out as something that is taught at all chapters.

What happens to the one who hit play on the video?

Originally posted by Dally1up:
What a bunch of dumbasses. Any chance this becomes a National Charter thing and it comes out as something that is taught at all chapters.

What happens to the one who hit play on the video?
It looked as if it was some formal date party, so I would bet it was one of the girls on the trip.

Someone brought up a good point (at least I thought). They all seemed to know the song pretty well. Didn't seem like a spontaneous type thing.

This is bad. Very bad blackeye not only on OU but on our State as well. It made me sick to see it on every national news program this morning. Bet Boren didn't get a minute of sleep last night.

I think Boren handled this very well. He didn't mess around.

I learned this morning that:

After reading a few other sites that the song is fairly well know one with a long history.

Across the country 12 other SAE have been shut down in the last 18 months.

SAE is also known as Americas deadliest frat. They seem to have a dead pledge problem.

Too bad for them they didn't just beat the piss out of some girl. That's handled much differently at OU.

Originally posted by Inky29:
Too bad for them they didn't just beat the piss out of some girl. That's handled much differently at OU.
Actually a really good point. A lot of people are calling for some of these kids to be expelled. How do you expel a kid for being racist when a football player knocked a girl out on camera?

I doubt that anyone with any sway will bring that point up. Might get a little traction on twitter but on the moral outrage scale I think these drunk idiots singing this song somehow out weigh knocking someone out. I think the song is stupid and would be embarrassed if this was my fraternity, school, or child. I think pulling of the charter and kicking the SAE off campus is a good thing. Now the actual damage that they actually did is negligible in the grand scheme of things and I have no doubt this mole hill will grow higher than Mt. Scott (is it still the largest mountain in Oklahoma?).

Originally posted by osu_orangestreak:

After reading a few other sites that the song is fairly well know one with a long history.

SAE is also known as Americas deadliest frat. They seem to have a dead pledge problem.
I asked a friend who is from and lives out of state if he saw this whole deal on national news. When I told him what it was about he immediately guessed the chant, tune, etc. and said that nearly every Frat that he knew about in his college days did stupid crap like this (back in late 70s). His words were just off a little but still same. He had no ties to Sig Ep.

Originally posted by Dally1up:

Originally posted by osu_orangestreak:

I asked a friend who is from and lives out of state if he saw this whole deal on national news. When I told him what it was about he immediately guessed the chant, tune, etc. and said that nearly every Frat that he knew about in his college days did stupid crap like this (back in late 70s). His words were just off a little but still same. He had no ties to Sig Ep.
Point of clarification: it's Sig Alph, not Sig Ep. I never sang any such song in my fraterenity (and we did A LOT of stupid things) - I was neither a Sig Alph or a Sig Ep.
This post was edited on 3/9 12:01 PM by Marshal Jim Duncan

AND of course...national media has stories posted online about racism on college campuses and posts a picture of the OSU Library when referencing OU....lol

Can someone please let me know what actual crime they committed? Not saying that what they did wasn't stupid or disgraceful but with the way folks are acting you'd think they'd gang raped someone on the bus.

Point of clarification: it's Sig Alph, not Sig Ep. - Marshal

Yep, or more correctly: Sigma Alpha Epsilon ("Sig Alph) ..... Sigma Phi Epsilon (Sig Ep)

We had plenty of drinking songs and the like we used to sing routinely, but nothing remotely racist.

I'm really shocked how fast their national moved on this, sounds like these guys will be looking for new housing on an expedited basis. I wonder how many people have identified the one who stood up and turned around exposing his face? (Some stations censored it, but not the majority of them) Here's the other question: It seemed like one or two of the "dates" also seemed to join in, are others who were present on the bus going to be questioned and possibly sanctioned by the university?

Can someone please let me know what actual crime they committed? Not saying that what they did wasn't stupid or disgraceful but with the way folks are acting you'd think they'd gang raped someone on the bus.
Has anyone accused them of a crime?

Nope, I'm just talking about the social outrage and media reaction. You would have thought they'd committed a crime. I guess I'm just not that outraged or shocked by a bunch of white SAE's being drunk singing a racist song. No more so than I would be if a bunch of black kids were singing a song about killing whitey. Like I said, I completely understand the reaction by the national Frat and OU admin, there's free speech and then there's "you are so dumb that you can't say that stuff around here anymore" clearly this falls under the latter.

To me the rally's and public indignation seems more of an "oh sh&# let's do something fast before Rev. Al gets down here and this gets real bad for our image"

Originally posted by Air_Thurman:
If the person in the video had been Trevor knight or Baker Mayfield would he have handled it the same way? I doubt it.

You don't have to commit a crime to lose your organizations official recognition just violate the rules and the code of conduct which you agree to when your fraternity is organized and you join. Where did you see anything about anyone being charge with a crime? As far as I know no one even actually been kicked out of school but when you join an official student organization you represent the University. If you embarrassed the university they are going to disassociate with you.

Originally posted by FMPoke:

You don't have to commit a crime to lose your organizations official recognition just violate the rules and the code of conduct which you agree to when your fraternity is organized and you join. Where did you see anything about anyone being charge with a crime? As far as I know no one even actually been kicked out of school but when you join an official student organization you represent the University. If you embarrassed the university they are going to disassociate with you.
..unless you are a 5* RB.

SAE Nationals needed to come down like the Left Hand of God.

But Boren needs to be fired. He's the freaking "STATE" in the First Amendement in the Constitution and shouldn't be writing checks he's not allowed to cash in this case.

Originally posted by PDT816:
SAE Nationals needed to come down like the Left Hand of God.

But Boren needs to be fired. He's the freaking "STATE" in the First Amendement in the Constitution and shouldn't be writing checks he's not allowed to cash in this case.
Does the ACLU still file amicus briefs on the behalf of students expelled by universities for hate speech, or have they given up on that?

Joe Mixon needs to be mentioned in the comments section of every news article about this. I think this story could actually help get the national media talking about the Mixon case again.

Fastest news move by okc outlet in 2015: the Doh! getting a pic posted of confederate flag hanging in SAE house at OSU.

Fmpoke, I wasn't talking about the way the national chapter responded or OU admin. I agree, you do something dumb like this you are going to have to pay the piper. I'm talking more about the rallies and and the rest of the stuff that's been going on. I get the actions of the frat and school, just scratching my head at everything else. Normally you see this type of reaction when someone is killed or injured, right now this is a pretty victimless incident. If we held rallies every time someone said something dumb and offensive we'd never get anything done. That's why I was asking about if they'd commited a crime, it was said in jest.

Turned on the local news (Channel 5) this morning. Their big headline on the page was "Greek Tragedy".

I understand the play on words, but was this really a tragedy? As far as I know so far, nobody died.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I doubt that anyone with any sway will bring that point up. Might get a little traction on twitter but on the moral outrage scale I think these drunk idiots singing this song somehow out weigh knocking someone out. I think the song is stupid and would be embarrassed if this was my fraternity, school, or child. I think pulling of the charter and kicking the SAE off campus is a good thing. Now the actual damage that they actually did is negligible in the grand scheme of things and I have no doubt this mole hill will grow higher than Mt. Scott (is it still the largest mountain in Oklahoma?).
Mount Scott is the second-highest mountain in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, but it remains the most well-known and regularly visited.

this news did not make the front page in today's Lawton Constitution even though it was on GMA yesterday. (guess where the owners/editors went to college.)

mount scott

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT