ADVERTISEMENT

Florida

I took my Lawton Oklahoma 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door hardtop to Homestead AFB, FL. Every time I stopped to gas it up someone offered to buy it. Florida is where I learned cars rust. Oklahoma doesn't have salt air.

I was at Homestead for 20 months and weathered one mild hurricane.

While in Katy, TX we had a home in town and a house on the Colorado river where it dumps into the gulf at Matagorda (settled 1638) We had to deal directly with 5-stoms in Katy & 2 @ Matagorda. Generators & chain saws are your friends. I took our first one rather lightly as I had been around tornado's you know. Ha, what a dumb ba$tid I was. But only once.

Sunburnt made a great point about salt. In the 12-years we had the beach house we had our own water well from a suspect aquifer. I double osmosed it and softened it before it hit the house but to no avail. I had to buy 3-lawn mowers, 1-washer, 2-hot water tanks, 1-dishwasher, 1-jet ski trailer, 3-drive shafts & 4-sets of throttle cables for the skis, leaf blower, edger, marine radios, 2-boat stereos, at least 10- fishing reels, & multiple hand tools.

I washed to yard equipment after each use & flushed the boat motors & jet ski motors every time we used them along with flushing out the jet ski trailer tubing. I kept sea foam in all the gas & gas tanks and never won. I will never own anything that permanently floats or faces salt water again. (There is a great joke that contains most of that sentence but not appropriate here). Stainless steel & bronze are your (expensive) friends.

Kudos to all you out there that live on or near salt water, I bow down to you. It kicked my a$$ good.

@osu_orangestreak
@aix_xpert

Just checking up on you. Who else do we have in Florida?
I made a bet with CDS that I would quit posting and have been honoring said agreement. Only posting this to respond that we survived the hurricane with only damage to our shrubs and trees. We went without power for 48 hours, it was restored yesterday afternoon. Neighborhood is dry but the road out is under 6 inches of water so not passible by anything other than trucks or tall suvs. My neighbor let me use a plug off his generator to keep my fridge and freezer going (saved me $1000 easy in food waste), so I went out yesterday to buy gas for it. Had to drive 70 miles north to Inverness to find a gas station that actually had fuel and/or power. But we're all safe and sound.

With that, I return to my agreed upon posting ban.

I made a bet with CDS that I would quit posting and have been honoring said agreement. Only posting this to respond that we survived the hurricane with only damage to our shrubs and trees. We went without power for 48 hours, it was restored yesterday afternoon. Neighborhood is dry but the road out is under 6 inches of water so not passible by anything other than trucks or tall suvs. My neighbor let me use a plug off his generator to keep my fridge and freezer going (saved me $1000 easy in food waste), so I went out yesterday to buy gas for it. Had to drive 70 miles north to Inverness to find a gas station that actually had fuel and/or power. But we're all safe and sound.

With that, I return to my agreed upon posting ban.
I had missed the bet, so thanks. How much left on your sentence?

I had missed the bet, so thanks. How much left on your sentence?
Forever. Fortunately, this board has mostly become an anti-semantic hate fest thanks to a dozen posts per day by PD, so I'm not missing much. Still check in and read the headlines every few days and decided to respond based on the hurricane. I'm actually better off, as I don't get worked up over the moronic posts from @Sunburnt Indian bottom list posters.

Forever. Fortunately, this board has mostly become an anti-semantic hate fest thanks to a dozen posts per day by PD, so I'm not missing much. Still check in and read the headlines every few days and decided to respond based on the hurricane. I'm actually better off, as I don't get worked up over the moronic posts from @Sunburnt Indian bottom list posters.
Dammit. OK, sorry to have dragged you back in but I was genuinely wondering about you guys. Thank you for responding. Hang tough down there. You are missed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT