ADVERTISEMENT

First day of Oklahoma State fall football camp: VIP observations (July 31)

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

First day of Oklahoma State fall football camp: VIP observations (July 31)​

Oklahoma State football started its 2024 fall camp Wednesday. Here are our takeaways.​

McClain BaxleyMcClain BaxleyJul 31st, 4:48 PM

STILLWATER, Okla. — It was hot in Stillwater Wednesday, but that didn't stop Oklahoma State from getting in their first practice of the fall season.

141 players were on the roster handed out to media members prior to the 15-minute viewing session we were able to see.

Here are my takeaways from what I saw in those 15 minutes of Oklahoma State's first fall practice.

1. It was really hot, even in the indoor facility. Talking with one of the assistants, they said they opted to practice in the afternoon as opposed to mornings to get adjusted to the heat for the season opener next month. Oklahoma State-South Dakota State has a 1 p.m. kick and practice began just before 3 p.m. Wednesday where it was above 100 degrees through the duration.

2. As the bulk of the team went through stretching, the quarterbacks worked out by themselves. All five of them were with quarterbacks coach Tim Rattay, going through some agility drills before doing some throws. The rotation in these drills, and for the rest of the portion we were able to see, was Alan Bowman -> Garret Rangel -> Zane Flores -> Maealiuaki Smith -> Garret Wilson. Now, there was a bit where Bowman and Flores were working by themselves as the other three did a different drill to the side, as you can see in the video below. I wouldn't look too deep into that, as Rangel went second/was next to Bowman in every drill I saw (handoffs, over the shoulder pass and taking snaps with a center).

3. Seeing Indiana transfer running back Trent Howland in person was a sight to behold. Ollie Gordon is a tall running back and in helmet and cleats, Howland is noticeably taller than him. He looked healthy and had a nice burst in one of the handoff drills I saw.

4. Outside, a handful of players were working on fielding punts. Brennan Presley led the group. Other players who were catching punts: Oklahoma WR transfer Gavin Freeman, Virginia Tech WR transfer Da'Wain Lofton, WR Kyler Pearson, freshman safety Talon Kendrick. Running backs coach John Wozniak was running this brief drill.

5. UTEP safety transfer Kobe Hylton was running with the first team safeties, alongside Lyrik Rawls and Trey Rucker. I think we'll be seeing a good bit of Hylton this season.

6. Because of the time constraints, we weren't able to see many periods of practice where players can be truly evaluated -- 7-on-7s, 11-on-11s, etc. and that will likely be the case for the other practice we're able to attend on Saturday.

7. The Texas Bowl Champions banner has been hung alongside the 2011 Big 12 Champions and 2022 Guaranteed Rate Bowl banners inside the facility.

8. I know several times this spring and offseason that freshman defensive lineman Armstrong Nnodim is a guy that was mentioned as an early standout and it's true. He's got good size and has certainly taken an early understanding to the defense. But a freshman that stood out to me today was fellow defensive lineman Luke Webb. He was strong on the sled and was very big, listed at 6-foot-4, 290 pounds. Both those defensive linemen should be interesting to see develop from now through next fall camp.

9. A note on the kickers: Oklahoma State has added a few. Drake Tabor, who kicked at FCS St. Thomas (MN), is on the roster now. As is freshman David Arriaga from Midwest City. Get the sense that Logan Ward will be the full time kicker for the Cowboys this season.

10. Oklahoma State's deepest and most-talented room — wide receivers — is deeper than I thought it'd be. They added Freeman and Lofton, as well as 6-foot-4, 215-pound Ayo Shotomide-King from Snow College and a couple more freshmen walk-ons. De'Zhaun Stribling is full-go and looks really good, probably faster than last season based on the few reps I saw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.