ADVERTISEMENT

Finally picked up two mounts (buck added)

Jeff J.

Jul 6, 2003
Ram came out really, really nice. My childhood friend said he'd never do another one, or at least not that cheap ($450!). The good news is he did the south Texas for free, since my dad let him hunt our place a couple years back.

1177276.jpg

1178477.jpg

This post was edited on 11/27 9:57 AM by Jeff J.

Re: Finally picked up two mounts

Originally posted by osumark:
Where's the Southie ?

Haven't taken a good photo of it yet. Cape I took him was slipping (losing hair), so he had to find a replacement. Unfortunately, the one he found was from a 200-pound buck. Down there, mature bucks run about 135 not field dressed. It's huge! Heck, it's huge compared to the other Oklahoma bucks I have mounted. In a way, it makes the rack seem smaller. Still looks really good.

Both animals came off of okstate28's lease, which is right on the dividing line of south Texas and the Hill Country. It is low fence...the sheep are escapees from high-fence ranches around his lease and are definitely wild.

The other two racks visible in the pic of the buck mount are also from there.

Originally posted by TexasCowPoke:
He did a nice job on that buck! I love chocolate brown racks like that.

Me too. It's my favorite by far, even though the other two you can see in the photo actually outscore it. The one on the right is really odd...only about a 12" inside spread, but crazy-long main beams (like 22" if I recall correctly) and very good tine length.

Still, dark chocolate is my fave. He'd be right there with the other two in gross had he not busted off 10" or so of length (brow and G3 on left side of pic). Still, best-looking and best mass of the three.

As I recall, the brown one was around 135. The 11 point was 143. The 9 went 138 (it's the one that's only half-visible).

28's lease isn't far enough south to be in the area where you let 135's walk all day long. I have seen bucks bigger than any of these on the lease, though. Two years ago, hammered one, but blood trail petered out (guessing it hit fwd and in shoulder/leg) that was 170 gross pretty easy. Another the year before, I and three other people all missed shots at one that was also over 170 (same deer, same stand, two weeks or less apart!). I think 158 is the biggest that's actually been harvested while I was there. It was a 20" wide 10 with great mass and average tine length.

Interesting spot for sure. 120" bucks are common place. I mean unlike anywhere else I've hunted. I'd guesstimate nearly half of the bucks I've seen there are 120"+

The other interesting thing is how wide a variance you'll see in configurations. Lots of wide, "picket fence" 10's that have long beams, but not a lot of tine length. Bright white to dark chocolate and everything in between. Heavy mainframe 8's like the half-shown rack on the left. Super tall and narrow like the one on the right.

I've only seen two other bucks that were as dark chocolate as the one in the picture. Every one has been very mature. Have seen a few obviously mature ones with pretty light-colored racks too. Interesting variation down there, no doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT