ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo's back!

Orange Jennyslipper

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2005
Monday, Oct. 12 on FX. Sweet. I hope.

Entirely new cast with several recognizable faces. Different time, new story.

So, it's not back but will be in a week or so....

Can't wait. There is some buzz that the 2nd season will top the first. If that comes to fruition this will be some show.

Reactions: shortbus
Me too, my friend. I was afraid I missed the episode. Got the DVR set, thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, the reviews for this season have been outstanding.

I watched last night's episode and there was a lot of action similar to last season's initial but also seemed to be painfully slow moving. I guess it's the Minnesoooda in everyone.

Jesse Plemons has really been putting back the tator tots (get it?) since Breaking Bad. He's probably 50-60 pounds heavier since BB.

The producers had Plemons and Donovan both put on weight intentionally (along with Kirsten Dunst)

I think my favorite part was the opposition research demonstration put on by Brad Garrett's character outlining the preferred method of either "merging" or acquiring by hostile takeover the local mob operation. It was near identical to what one would expect to hear from an MBA consultant hired to review a potential merger/takeover.

Reactions: CowboyJD
Re-watched season 1 last weekend....there are 3-4 foreshadowings of Sioux Falls. One is Lou Solverson, Keith Carradine, talking with Malvo in diner. He says "Had a case once, back in 79...I'd tell ya the details, but it'd sound like I made em up...madness, really."

Gotcha. Just watched EP 2. I guess I'm the last person on earth to figure out who everyone grows up to be. Well done. Well done.

I kinda like Kirsten Dunst with a little meat on her bones. It was a little weird checking out her booty through the eyes of her lesbian friend, but I'll take it.

I liked the angle of Dunst's character being a bit "peculiar." Refusing sex with her husband routinely (but offering it up to avoid him finding the guy she had run over and left in the windshield), perhaps being a bit of a kleptomaniac (stealing TP from her work and lying about it), etc. I bet we learn quite a bit more about her eccentricities as the story moves forward.

I also thought about the husband grinding up the victim, a homage of sorts to the wood chipper in the original movie?

This season is more disappointing than the 2nd season of True Detective so far. It's incredibly boring.

Good lord. Couldn't possibly be more off base. IMO, it's been better than the first season and that's going some.

You must be joking. Zero comparison.

True Detective season two will be a television punch line for 30 years.
I went a little over board comparing it to TD. I had just caught up last night with the last two episodes when I posted and I was disgusted by the shallow grave asphalt scene it ended on. My wife and I looked at each other and both said the show is awful.

What do you all find enjoyable about it so far? I don't care about any of the story. The scene in the butcher shop with the slow motion finger under the door and the cop just showing up was horrible and it was the pivotal/suspenseful scene so far. The cop just really had to buy bacon at 3am, and the insane wife just happened to call the the perfect time.

Do you enjoy the terrible hour of dialog and accents every week with a tiny bit of action at the end? I am very disappointed with all the positive reviews before the season and the success of season 1.

I feel like I'm watching True Blood with the terrible acting and accents, except True Blood knew it was absurb.

Hopefully it gets better and I'm fairly sure it will.

Last edited:
The pacing on the show, just like the movie is supposed to be indicative of the slow, laid back behavior one would encounter in that part of the country in winter, where nothing moves fast.

I don't find it boring as a lot of the little details you are seeing will undoubtedly come back into play later in the story. I'm will to play along while it builds to a climax and a resolution. It's not an action show as much as a character study in many respects.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I think the horror of the story is that these characters are indeed so slow and boring, tater, but they're doing the most creepy and unspeakable things.

I watch each episode with an expression on my face like someone slipped a dog turd in my burrito. The tension is building quite nicely. The hole under the asphalt was cheesy, but it fits the almost-comic book characters.

Holy crap that's Kirsten Dunst!

I couldn't figure out who the heck you guys were talking about at first. Wow.

So far, I'm liking it. But I agree about the gravel scene. The main thing I didn't like though is that nobody is just gonna get in that hole and get dumped on willingly. Ever. No matter how weak and spineless. Just stupid.

I went a little over board comparing it to TD. I had just caught up last night with the last two episodes when I posted and I was disgusted by the shallow grave asphalt scene it ended on. My wife and I looked at each other and both said the show is awful.

What do you all find enjoyable about it so far? I don't care about any of the story. The scene in the butcher shop with the slow motion finger under the door and the cop just showing up was horrible and it was the pivotal/suspenseful scene so far. The cop just really had to buy bacon at 3am, and the insane wife just happened to call the the perfect time.

Do you enjoy the terrible hour of dialog and accents every week with a tiny bit of action at the end? I am very disappointed with all the positive reviews before the season and the success of season 1.

I feel like I'm watching True Blood with the terrible acting and accents, except True Blood knew it was absurb.

Hopefully it gets better and I'm fairly sure it will.
Maybe I'm sleepy when I watch it due to the time change, but I have to agree on the pace of the show.

Great, it's art and symbolic of the pace of the time and place it's set, but come on, entertain me a little bit. I really dig the younger cop, he's a great actor, I love the black KC gangster, and wait anxiously on the crazy oldest son to do something crazy. Otherwise, it's about 45 minutes of MEH each week.

I actually think this season has been as good as true detective was bad. The over the top stuff like the butcher shop scene and the guy being buried alive is just the tone of the movie and the show. Everything is an unlikely chain of events that come together to create this off beat story. The characters are all offbeat and over the top. You either like the Coen brothers style or you don't. It defiantly very niche.

The buried alive dead you own grave is a Hollywood cliché that's been around for years. I can't see how anyone would actually do it but it's been in lost and the Soprano's in recent years usually allowing for an escape attempt. In this case the typewriter guy was just so far in over his head dumb and scared he didn't really believe it was happening until it was too late.

Thought this week episode was the best yet. They are starting to fill in the characters and you can see where everything is going. Got some background on why Dodd is so screwed up. You see his relationship with his daughter and the cost of rejecting her as well as him now beginning to bond with Bears son as the son he never had. The daughter and Bear's kid are both clearly doomed. My guess is there will be a conflict between Bear the not so bright good son and the rotten Dodd the will divide the family when they can least afford it. Speaking of doomed Ed the butcher is obviously the next candidate for an asphalt grave. Poor man things he is making babies and going to have a picket fence house while Kristin Durst is plotting her escape. No doubt she is going to get him killed. We know Molly's mom is doomed.

Mike Mitchell and the kitchen brothers are great. The whole K.C. mob is over the top bed ass and crazy. Brad Garrett is very Stringer Bell. Let's see what research says we should do. The other great character is the Indian. If the Gerharts lose him they are done.

Molly's mom?

She doesn't make it to season one, remember?

Perhaps those who think it's boring could weigh in on the two-hour time discrepancy between the time on the wall of the diner and Hanzee's watch. Or the ufo's which appeared right before Peggy hits Rye with her car.

There are more than enough WTF's to keep me watching.

Last edited:
Noticed there has been tidbit of UFO/alien content in each episode? What is that about? Nothing like that in the movie or season 1. A friend at work pointed out aliens and UFOs were a big deal at that time. Will be interesting to see where they go with all of that.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Loved the scene where Lou and Reagan were having a conversation at the urinal. I don't even remember what they were talking about other than potpourri, I just thought it was a funny situation.

The dialogue has been great. During a few scenes I feel like I'm watching a Tarantino movie because of the one on one dialogue.

Another great episode. Some characters showed a different side of them selves. My takeaways

Hanzee (the Indian) is a bad ass
There's going to be trouble between Dodd and Bear sooner then latter. Probably when Bear finds out Dodd sent his kid on a hit.
I think the kid got away. Great scene between him and the girl. She might have helped him escape
Ed turned out to be pretty bad ass himself when his life was on the line.
I was shocked by the turn in Kristin Durst character She loved Ed after all.
Either way they are both screwed.
The demise of Brad Garrett proves anyone can die.
They are setting Ted Danson up to be killed. Possibly as early as next week.
I think Molly's mom got the real drug but because it experimental I think it kills her.
Dodd's daughter just figured out she's in way over her head. She may be the down fall of the family.

The guy who plays Hanzee is a regular on Longmire, the TV version of Walt Longmire Mysteries (late of A&E and now a Netflix exclusive.) He plays Walt Longmire's sometime nemesis and now more of an ally as the Chief of the Tribal Police Dept on the reservation located partially in the county of which Longmire is Sheriff.

Another home run with this latest episode. Nick Offerman knocks it out of the park. And I've been shocked at how good Kirsten Dunst has been in this show, Ted Danson too.

BTW, this season has a rating of 100 from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and 96/100 on Metacritic.

Last nights episode was hands down, the best TV I've seen since at least the series finale of Breaking bad. Humor, suspense, plot twists, depth and intrigue to go with A+ casting, writing and directing. Seriously thinking of watching it again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT