ADVERTISEMENT

Explaining The Economic Errors Of “Tax The Rich” & “Tariff China”

By h

By leaving your own people free to decide with whom they want to trade.
How is that countering countries that trade unfairly? All that does is put the US at an unfair trade advantage and drive US business out of business.?
If other countries place tariffs on US Goods, practice unfairly in trade or refuse to implement common sense policies like Mexico and the border then I’m in favor of tariffs

By h

By leaving your own people free to decide with whom they want to trade.
Should our own people be able to freely trade with a foreign entity, business or government, that uses slave labor and/or child labor to produce goods?

How is that countering countries that trade unfairly? All that does is put the US at an unfair trade advantage and drive US business out of business.?
If other countries place tariffs on US Goods, practice unfairly in trade or refuse to implement common sense policies like Mexico and the border then I’m in favor of tariffs
It is not *countering* unfair trade in the way you want. It is free people freely choosing whether and with whom to trade. You are seeking a political solution to an economic conundrum, and your solution is to reduce liberty and give politicians power over you that they should not have. It is surprising that you regularly comment on and furiously (correctly, IMO) condemn the rampant corruption within our government, but don’t see the inescapable corruption that happens when politicians and their bureaucrats are given the power over you that you want them to have.

What arms and base buildups? Where are they located? How is hoarding gold a preparation to go to war with us? That’s two things. Are there any others?
The arms build up is in the sSouth China sea and around Taiwan. They have been threatening Taiwan and the Philipines and incidents between these countries have been increasing. The South China Sea one is interesting as the Chinese are trying to squeeze trade by controlling the sholes in the area. Sometimes even going so far as to build islands themselves. Thier military has been going through a full technological transition and most of it is aimed at countering US military assets. I'm just scratching the surface. If you don't think China is preparing for war with us you would dangerously wrong. On top of that the Chinese believe the economic warfare is warfare. Understand your enemy, Sun Tsu.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
The arms build up is in the sSouth China sea and around Taiwan. They have been threatening Taiwan and the Philipines and incidents between these countries have been increasing. The South China Sea one is interesting as the Chinese are trying to squeeze trade by controlling the sholes in the area. Sometimes even going so far as to build islands themselves. Thier military has been going through a full technological transition and most of it is aimed at countering US military assets. I'm just scratching the surface. If you don't think China is preparing for war with us you would dangerously wrong. On top of that the Chinese believe the economic warfare is warfare. Understand your enemy, Sun Tsu.
Hmm, China is building up its military in the South China Sea, trying to counter the US military presence in the South China Sea, off the coast of China. I ask who is preparing to attack whom?

Yes, economic warfare is *economic* warfare. China’s form of economic warfare around the world is to garner economic agreements, sans a military presence for the most part. Our form is to establish “friendly” governments, by military force if needed, and deposit some 700+ military bases in order to protect our empire.

So the question becomes: which government is actively pursuing a military stranglehold on the other, with NeoCon politicians clamoring for war?

Why not? It's ok to promote slavery and child labor, just not in our own country?
A free society wouldn’t be free if some of its people were slaves, now would it? OTOH, in a free society each individual has the liberty to purchase what he wants, even when it comes from an unfree country, regardless of the method of its creation. That doesn’t mean he *should* buy such products, and you and I are equally free to shun him, refuse to trade with him (sell him groceries from the grocery store we own, for example), make it known that he should be considered a pariah, take non-violent actions against him until he voluntarily alters his purchasing. That’s what free markets do.

• Haha
Reactions: Medic007
A free society wouldn’t be free if some of its people were slaves, now would it? OTOH, in a free society each individual has the liberty to purchase what he wants, even when it comes from an unfree country, regardless of the method of its creation. That doesn’t mean he *should* buy such products, and you and I are equally free to shun him, refuse to trade with him (sell him groceries from the grocery store we own, for example), make it known that he should be considered a pariah, take non-violent actions against him until he voluntarily alters his purchasing. That’s what free markets do.
Yeah, unfortunately, reality exists and there's no shortage of appetite for things like slave and child labor. So even in a free society, there are plenty of people that would eagerly exploit foreign child labor and forced labor for their benefit while living comfortably in their lovely home in Safeville USA if there were no consequences for doing it.

It's a good thing people way smarter than you run the government.

Yeah, unfortunately, reality exists and there's no shortage of appetite for things like slave and child labor. So even in a free society, there are plenty of people that would eagerly exploit foreign child labor and forced labor for their benefit while living comfortably in their lovely home in Safeville USA if there were no consequences for doing it.

It's a good thing people way smarter than you run the government.
Yeah, you may be right. One thing is certain: people that run governments are way smarter than me.

Clever Boi is having fun. Lol
For someone that accuses me of avoiding having a conversation you sure are avoiding having a legitimate conversation. Rather than insult me why don’t you read the article and discuss what you think he gets wrong?

Hmm, China is building up its military in the South China Sea, trying to counter the US military presence in the South China Sea, off the coast of China. I ask who is preparing to attack whom?

Yes, economic warfare is *economic* warfare. China’s form of economic warfare around the world is to garner economic agreements, sans a military presence for the most part. Our form is to establish “friendly” governments, by military force if needed, and deposit some 700+ military bases in order to protect our empire.

So the question becomes: which government is actively pursuing a military stranglehold on the other, with NeoCon politicians clamoring for war?
American Navy forces are there to protect trade in the most important trade route in the world. The Navy will also protect our allies in the region. There is no threat to China, yet the Chinese are willing to push the rules of hundreds of years of accepted maritime boundaries. The aggression has purely been on China.

American Navy forces are there to protect trade in the most important trade route in the world. The Navy will also protect our allies in the region. There is no threat to China, yet the Chinese are willing to push the rules of hundreds of years of accepted maritime boundaries. The aggression has purely been on China.
Right. The US has completely surrounded China with military might and every NeoCon in existence is screaming what a military threat China poses against us, and war against them is essential, but we pose no threat to China at all, not in the least. We’re there to protect the world from the evil militaristic Chinese! Because let’s face it, we have allies in the region solely to protect them from the historically war mongering Chinese. Also I hear there is a bridge in Brooklyn for sale at rock bottom prices.

Right. The US has completely surrounded China with military might and every NeoCon in existence is screaming what a military threat China poses against us, and war against them is essential, but we pose no threat to China at all, not in the least. We’re there to protect the world from the evil militaristic Chinese! Because let’s face it, we have allies in the region solely to protect them from the historically war mongering Chinese. Also I hear there is a bridge in Brooklyn for sale at rock bottom prices.
You need to read Admiral Mehan. You want free trade yet you are unwilling to do the things to achieve it.

N
It is not *countering* unfair trade in the way you want. It is free people freely choosing whether and with whom to trade. You are seeking a political solution to an economic conundrum, and your solution is to reduce liberty and give politicians power over you that they should not have. It is surprising that you regularly comment on and furiously (correctly, IMO) condemn the rampant corruption within our government, but don’t see the inescapable corruption that happens when politicians and their bureaucrats are given the power over you that you want them to have.
What power? I’m still free to purchase whatever I want, when I want and from who I want. Placing tariffs on foreign countries exports doesn’t change any of that. I can choose to buy their product or not buy it.

Is that why the US has created an empire and is willing to do anything to maintain it and make it grow, militarizing itself to achieve free trade? I don’t think that’s the motive.
Read Mehan, and you will understand the motivation. It is what has inspired what you call empire building. Mehan calls it securing trade with other nations.

If the US is an empire they have the worst empire in the history of man. I have never seen an empire purposely give up territory conquered. The US spends a lot of money rebuilding countries it has gone to war in, and then gives them up. This has to be the strangest empire you will ever see.

Reactions: N. Pappagiorgio
Read Mehan, and you will understand the motivation. It is what has inspired what you call empire building. Mehan calls it securing trade with other nations.

If the US is an empire they have the worst empire in the history of man. I have never seen an empire purposely give up territory conquered. The US spends a lot of money rebuilding countries it has gone to war in, and then gives them up. This has to be the strangest empire you will ever see.
What does the "securing" part entail? The US rarely "gives up" countries it has defeated in war. It secures friendly apparatchiks that does our bidding.

Dan lives in a fantasy world much like the leftist do. He sees the US as the bad guy for being a stabilizing force against evil in the world. Sure the US has made its mistakes and had morally corrupt greedy leaders that often abused their power but overall the US has been a decent steward of good in the world, much more so than any other world leader in history.

What does the "securing" part entail? The US rarely "gives up" countries it has defeated in war. It secures friendly apparatchiks that does our bidding.
Protecting trade routes which is a primary mission of the Navy today.

You tell Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippines, Panama, Cuba, Mexico, Germany, Italy, Sicily, Morocco, Tunisia, Lybia, and Japan that it was just a rare occurance. I can add more if you like.

You tell Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippines, Panama, Cuba, Mexico, Germany, Italy, Sicily, Morocco, Tunisia, Lybia, and Japan that it was just a rare occurance. I can add more if you like.

... but but but but Trade Routes are part of Capitalist Economic Imperialism...

Gee, I think we have military installations in almost all those countries. Isn’t that ironic! My son-in-law, a retired Navy pilot, would probably be surprised to know the missions he flew over Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan were to protect the trade routes in the South China Sea.

• Haha
Reactions: Medic007
Getting back to the original topic. @OrangeTuono , I look forward to your enlightened discussion around this short quote.

Gee, I think we have military installations in almost all those countries. Isn’t that ironic! My son-in-law, a retired Navy pilot, would probably be surprised to know the missions he flew over Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan were to protect the trade routes in the South China Sea.
That's disingenuous and you know it.

Reactions: tlwwake
Well, it's a start.....

That's interesting. The Department of Defense says our country is under duress from the military might of China. The US has completely surrounded China with the military capability to reduce it to ash, have politicians haranguing us to use that capability sooner rather than later. Upon seeing that intent China is building its own military capability within its own spere of influence. Ergo: proof that China wants to go to war with the US. What's the proposed solution? Why to sink even more treasure into our military might!

That's interesting. The Department of Defense says our country is under duress from the military might of China. The US has completely surrounded China with the military capability to reduce it to ash, have politicians haranguing us to use that capability sooner rather than later. Upon seeing that intent China is building its own military capability within its own spere of influence. Ergo: proof that China wants to go to war with the US. What's the proposed solution? Why to sink even more treasure into our military might!

So you don’t want your grand children to have the luxury of supporting a family doing something menial like selling vacuums?

So you don’t want your grand children to have the luxury of supporting a family doing something menial like selling vacuums?
My granddaughters are waaaay too intelligent and sophisticated to sell vacuums.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT