ADVERTISEMENT

Elk Hunt

osu1981

Recruit
Gold Member
Dec 27, 2003
I have been planning an Elk hunt with a friend that lives in Colorado during September, we would be hunting in south central Colorado. He might not be able to get everything set up due to some family problems that just came up. As a fall back I was trying to see if anyone had any good suggestions for a guided hunt in Colorado that they would recommend. Any suggestions would be appreciated, not for sure what price to expect.

Have you already got your license? What area # were you going to hunt?

FYI, the unsold big game licenses are going to be sold first come first served this next week I believe. You can buy them online, but they start you an hour late, which give people who show up in person an advantage.

I think it was going to be in the Blue Lake, San Juan wilderness area. He has hunted with friends before packing in by horseback on public lands. They have gone 3 times before and you just by an over the counter elk tag. He had indicated you do not see many people at all going back in that far and have always had opportunities at descent elk. They have their own horses and gear. If this falls thru I was looking for something different but when looking at all the options on line you have no clue as to who is legit and not legit. Plus this can get pretty expensive for certain outfitters.

Having horses is a huge benefit for many reasons in the high country, but I was looking at doing a drop camp maybe next year for Archery Elk. Drop camps, if you know how to hunt elk and know the area a bit, is a less expensive way to hunt, of course, than to go fully guided. I really don't know anyone in that area who guides, but I hope you find a great recommendation.

I have hunted deer for 35 years and just got into bow hunting 3 yrs ago. On the last hunt in the Montrose, Colorado area I had an elk and mule deer tag and was able to take a mule deer by bow. The outfitter we used then was worthless and a waste of our time. He overbooked and pretty much could not handle all that were hunting. As far as elk hunting, calling, etc i am pretty much a novice but had a blast last time despite the outfitter problems. If you have any other suggestions in Colorado or New Mexico let me know, but I know cost above 4k including tag would price me out. Hopefully the current one will still happen, it is costing about 2.5 k in total.

By the way, I just got back from a week's vacation sw of Creede CO and had elk bugling in the morning dawn right by my cabin.... very cool, and then I would go outside and hear the cows chirp (?). Lots of fun. also saw a moose, lots of deer around but nothing big. The fishing was off that week but still managed a few dozen during the week of fishing lightly. Mostly it was very relaxing, and we had temps with lows from 36 to 50 and highs not over 76 any day.

Do you have a cabin in Creede Texas Cow Poke? We built a cabin in Bristol Head Acres two years ago--about 7 miles outside of Creede. We go as often as po
ssible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT