ADVERTISEMENT

Early Signing Period Begins July 1st

I agree with you 10000000%. OSU has to step up or we will fall behind even farther with PSU

Reactions: Wrassler17
Brayton Lee tweeted a photo of him and Daton on the field Saturday. Don't know if we had anyone else in for an official visit. Will Lewan is in Athens competing in the Cadet World Championships, so he was obviously not there.

Unrelated, Derek Fix's twitter now says CWC coach and Tyler Caldwell's says Recruiting Coordinator. I really like both of these moves, but I have no idea why we don't make any announcements. I genuinely believe we need to involve someone with a business background to help with the college program and the RTC. We need to do a better job of marketing our team and success, using social media to increase awareness and excitement, generating ideas on how to raise funds for the RTC. It's no longer enough to be successful on the mat, teams are running their programs and associated RTCs like organizations now. We need to keep up. Ok, rant over.
I am in total agreement. Why keep our light under a bushel basket? These coaching moves need to be publicized. Have known for months now that Derek was the training center coach yet no announcement. Derek knows everyone nationwide that is a coach/and/or wrestler. Both will be instrumental in recruiting.

One time target Will Lewan verballed to Michigan. Not too surprising since Sean Bormet was in his corner at Cadet Worlds.

I'm still holding out hope that we can land Brayton Lee and David Carr. At Flo's WNO on Oct 8th, Brayton Lee will face Lewan at 152 and David Carr will face Joe Lee at 160.

One time target Will Lewan verballed to Michigan. Not too surprising since Sean Bormet was in his corner at Cadet Worlds.

I'm still holding out hope that we can land Brayton Lee and David Carr. At Flo's WNO on Oct 8th, Brayton Lee will face Lewan at 152 and David Carr will face Joe Lee at 160.

Since Lewan is a Cadet World Champ it sounds ridiculous to say, but I prefer Lee. We'll see in a few weeks.

I hope we can get Lee and Carr, because we need those weights badly. They are the top guys at those weights. I will be disappointed if we don't get one of them.

Any other recruits still out there? Haven't heard anything about in state guys like Golewenski and Curry. How about Zach Elam from KC? He is getting some D1 looks in football, but he looked like a great wrestling prospect at Fargo.

Man we are really struggling it feels like

Biting my tongue until the signing period is over.

Since Lewan is a Cadet World Champ it sounds ridiculous to say, but I prefer Lee. We'll see in a few weeks.

I hope we can get Lee and Carr, because we need those weights badly. They are the top guys at those weights. I will be disappointed if we don't get one of them.

Any other recruits still out there? Haven't heard anything about in state guys like Golewenski and Curry. How about Zach Elam from KC? He is getting some D1 looks in football, but he looked like a great wrestling prospect at Fargo.

Agree, I like Lee better as a prospect. I haven't heard about any other recruits that are still in play for us.

Biting my tongue until the signing period is over.

Agree, I like Lee better as a prospect. I haven't heard about any other recruits that are still in play for us.
I am trying to bite my tongue also. I am very concerned we are being out smarted and out worked recruiting.

Adding Chris Perrt as a FT assistant will be a major upgrade from a recruiting standpoint.

Caldwell as recruiting cordnator should help as well. Both are young energetic guys and Perry is a dynamic personality needed to land the big time national kids. It may take a year or so to see his impact however.

I have no idea if this is the case but we are also still a relatively young team. We might not have much scholarship money available. The flip side of that is most of our studs are Oklahoma kids so they shouldn't take as much scholarship money (in theory). So I have no idea.

I have no idea if this is the case but we are also still a relatively young team. We might not have much scholarship money available. The flip side of that is most of our studs are Oklahoma kids so they shouldn't take as much scholarship money (in theory). So I have no idea.

I think we also are going to spend more time on the guys just below the top tier guys. So when they go to PSU or to some extent OhSt and Iowa we aren't scrambling.

The power of the Big10 in various ways is going to make recruiting tougher on osu moving forward. Not meaning we can't still compete for NC's but the landscape has changed and we may need to alter our approach to recruiting to a degree.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I think we also are going to spend more time on the guys just below the top tier guys. So when they go to PSU or to some extent OhSt and Iowa we aren't scrambling.

The power of the Big10 in various ways is going to make recruiting tougher on osu moving forward. Not meaning we can't still compete for NC's but the landscape has changed and we may need to alter our approach to recruiting to a degree.
My tongue is also sore. I just have to believe that we have recruits like Carr and Lee in hand but are keeping it to ourselves. If not then count me in the Harley camp.:eek:

When is signing day? Is that when you guys think we should know on Carr and Lee or any other prospects?

We need to establish ourselves again as THE wrestling school to go to if you're below the Mason-Dixon line and West of the Mississippi. And if you are in Big 10 country and want to wrestle for the best, but want warm weather and don't like giant pasty white girls with kankles, come here. This ASU resurgence could hurt us. But generally our guys need to get to work, learn the new methods of recruiting and use them!

When is signing day? Is that when you guys think we should know on Carr and Lee or any other prospects?

I titled this thread incorrectly. The early signing period is 11/8/17 - 11/15/17. Both Carr and Lee still have several school visits scheduled, so we probably won't hear anything until around then. FYI, I think Carr's visit with us is 10/14.

We need to establish ourselves again as THE wrestling school to go to if you're below the Mason-Dixon line and West of the Mississippi. And if you are in Big 10 country and want to wrestle for the best, but want warm weather and don't like giant pasty white girls with kankles, come here. This ASU resurgence could hurt us. But generally our guys need to get to work, learn the new methods of recruiting and use them!

The problem is the programs we are competing against are more well funded, draw bigger crowds, are in the process of building fantastic wrestling centered facilities and most importantly have much stronger and funded RTC's.

The truly elite guys are looking at the RTC's as much as anything these days and we are severely lacking currently.

The landscape isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago and the ability to "establish" ourselves again is much tougher.

The problem is the programs we are competing against are more well funded, draw bigger crowds, are in the process of building fantastic wrestling centered facilities and most importantly have much stronger and funded RTC's.

The truly elite guys are looking at the RTC's as much as anything these days and we are severely lacking currently.

The landscape isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago and the ability to "establish" ourselves again is much tougher.
Sounds like someone is looking for a BAN. Admin, please handle this guy.

Sounds like someone is looking for a BAN. Admin, please handle this guy.
]
Why on earth would he be banned? Telling the truth, no matter how unpleasant it is for us to hear.

I can't believe OrangeFury thinks he should be banned. Seeing that he used all caps, I think he means something else. I looked up common acronyms for BAN and these are the most likely:

He's sick - Bachelor of Arts, Nursing
He has a poor connection - Building Area Network
He's a pirate - Buccaneers Association of Nigeria

It's got to be one of these.

does anybody have any info on our new recruits

Jalin Harper is a 160 from Manhattan, KS. He has placed 1,3,2 thus far at the KS high school state tournament. He has a HS record of approximately 131-13. He recently placed 8th in freestyle at Junior Nationals.

Anthony Montalvo is a 182 from powerhouse Buchanan HS in Clovis, CA. He has placed 1 and 2 the last two years at California State. He qualified at 160 as a freshman but didn't place. He is a 2016 NHSCA National Champion.

David Carr and Brayton Lee were both victorious at Flo's WNO. Carr beat rival Joe Lee 6-1 and Lee beat PA state champ Justin McCoy 7-3. McCoy had to step in for the injured Will Lewan.

I hope Carr, Lee and other potential recruits were watching today. Come to Stillwater and join Daton (and others) on World Teams for the next 10 years!

Brayton Lee was scheduled to announce his college commitment on Flo this afternoon, but then delayed it. There are posts on the Iowa board saying he has narrowed his choices down to Nebraska, Minnesota, and ISU, but I'm not sure where that was reported. We should hear something soon regardless.

David Carr's visit is scheduled for this weekend. If he makes it there is a chance.

Carr would be a great pickup, no doubt. It's also possible that Lee cancelled his announcement because someone (us?) made a last minute push. And of course, an early verbal could flip. Beard, Teasdale, and Cassioppi all flipped this year.

FYI, some good videos just went up on Flo from our practice today.

Reactions: oberebo
Carr would be a great pickup, no doubt. It's also possible that Lee cancelled his announcement because someone (us?) made a last minute push. And of course, an early verbal could flip. Beard, Teasdale, and Cassioppi all flipped this year.

FYI, some good videos just went up on Flo from our practice today.
Wrassler, I just watched the Rogers, Jacobe Smith and Kaid Brock videos. Proud they are Cowboys. All are very thoughtful and focused and it is apparent John, Espo and Chris have worked on both their technique but also their mindset. I look forward to great things from all three this year.

Wrassler, I just watched the Rogers, Jacobe Smith and Kaid Brock videos. Proud they are Cowboys. All are very thoughtful and focused and it is apparent John, Espo and Chris have worked on both their technique but also their mindset. I look forward to great things from all three this year.

Good to see K Moore in he room working as well.

A couple of months ago Sammy Sasso told my bosses daughter that Okla State was his first choice. Now its Ohio State and Va Tech. Flow also listed Nebraska.

A couple of months ago Sammy Sasso told my bosses daughter that Okla State was his first choice. Now its Ohio State and Va Tech. Flow also listed Nebraska.

Recruiting can be a very fickle thing. You really just don't know until the LOI is signed. About 6 months ago Sasso tweeted a picture wearing an OSU jacket, which Espo 'liked'. I haven't seen any other indication of interest since.
While I would love to make inroads into PA recruiting again, it could be that our staff feels Sasso projects at 149 and we already have Gfeller. From a lineup (and style) standpoint, Carr and Lee might fit better.

Recruiting can be a very fickle thing. You really just don't know until the LOI is signed. About 6 months ago Sasso tweeted a picture wearing an OSU jacket, which Espo 'liked'. I haven't seen any other indication of interest since.
While I would love to make inroads into PA recruiting again, it could be that our staff feels Sasso projects at 149 and we already have Gfeller. From a lineup (and style) standpoint, Carr and Lee might fit better.
The general consensus is that we have no money this year and a big name or recruit will not come just because of John and the Oklahoma State tradition. I think we will have to be content with what we have committed. Heil is the only senior starter so it does not free up much money for next year committments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT