ADVERTISEMENT

Dunk and Egg

100TonsofOrangeFury

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
To rehash some old threads, has anyone picked up the new compilation book where they've mashed all three stories together? Kind of a no-brainer, can't believe it hadn't happened before.

Had almost forgotten how much I love the writing and storylines, although these tales are a little less dense with mystery than the ASOIAF series. Just easy, linear stories and a quick read.

Didn't realize until I did a bit of digging, but you do realize that Martin intends to write another 6 - 10 tales to cover the rest of the 100 years prior to Game of Thrones? I love this fact just because I know it will make many people's heads explode that Martin is planning for another huge project that would require him about 40 more years of life to complete.

Reactions: JonnyVito
Couldn't agree more. I thought these were really, really good. Martin does a great job with these short stories.

When I first found out that they existed (about 2 years ago), I was looking for them on line and the only thing that came up were books that were selling for over $100 each. I guess they were originally printed as short stories that are now out of print. I was pissed that I wasn't going to get to read them (I wasn't going to pay that much). Then I found out that they existed in 3 compilations of short stories. I purchased those for a reasonable price. Figured I would try some of the stories by other authors in each compilation. Never did. I wish I had waited until now to get the book Tons started the thread with.

I do agree that they are great reads. I'm sure GRRM intends to keep cranking them out, but I am dubious. It has already been a long time since the 3rd one, and he still has a lot of work to do to complete ASOIAF. He says he has been working on the 4th one, so maybe that will eventually be released. After that, who knows...

Honestly, if you take the totality of ASOIAF, Dunk and Egg, and The world of Ice and Fire (plus a couple of other Westeros stories he has cranked out), it is a really impressive feat. Thousands of years of history with the most recent 200 years fleshed out with incredible detail.

If you grabbed the Legends compilation that has Robert Jordan's "New Spring" you should read that.

Was referring to Been Jammin's post.

I have a collection of short stories called "Legends." It included one by Martin, but also Stephen King, Tad Williams and Robert Jordan (among others).

I was saying if he had that one Robert Jordan's short story is worth reading.

Was referring to Been Jammin's post.

I have a collection of short stories called "Legends." It included one by Martin, but also Stephen King, Tad Williams and Robert Jordan (among others).

I was saying if he had that one Robert Jordan's short story is worth reading.

Have it. Will read. Thanks for the rec.

Reactions: TheRedSon
Just finished these and loved them. Great quick reads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT