ADVERTISEMENT

Crystal Ball - Oklahoma State

McScoreley

Commitment
Jun 25, 2021
Thought this was worth starting another discussion (apologies if excessive and obviously feel free to merge into "Next Years Line Up")

He has Oklahoma State 3rd with 83 points. Willie's Crystal Ball points by place so while it does bake in bonus, it's a conservative estimate. For example, Dustin Plott scores 15 for getting 3rd (1.5 total bonus) But if he records a tech and 2 majors on his way to 3rd, he's at 17.

He has

Spratley 5
Hughes R12
Jamison R12
Young R12
Travis 0-2 or 1-2 (he only awards if he has R16, aka winning 2 matches at least)
Amine 6
Hamiti 3
Plott 3
Surber 0-2 or 1-2 (like Travis)
Hendrickson 2

IMO these are pretty bearish if anything. Amine has placed 4th twice in deeper 165s and I believe will be rejuvenated. I think giving 3 R12 from 133 to 149 is kind of hedging for one AA in that group (since thats 12 points awarded so that is 2 lower AAs or 1 mid AA) so I actually don't think that's an odd projection (even though it looks weird)

Big thing I am shocked by is predicting the eventual 197 starter to not be R16 when it's either a guy who has been R16 and beaten Elam and has given Buchanan all he wanted (Surber) or is a super college ready stud freshman (Merrill) and they're getting their butts beat by David Taylor all day and night.

Seems completely reasonable to me. I'm not sure who but I think we grab at least one AA between 33-57.

So I will create some categories for you guys for fun:

The 4 Horsemen - The proven hammers, any of them missing the podium (or not being high on it/in the finals) is kind of disastrous (barring injury, knock on wood for good health for EVERY NCAA wrestler) - Hamiti, Amine, Hendrickson, Plott

Spratley - I'm putting him in his own tier. He was on the cusp last year and now works with Gilman and RBY daily. I would hit a money line for him AAing this year. While anything can happen at 125, I think most Poke fans would agree it would be pretty disappointing if he didn't this year.

The Cutters - the two guys on the team who have documented big cuts (Cael Hughes/Tagen Jamison) Hughes had a mishap at U20s and Jamison burnt out at the end of last year from the cut. The good news? DT will monitor their lifestyle and diet very carefully to make sure they are doing it the right way. Both guys talented enough but need to manage it over a season then for a 3 day tournament.

The DT Boost - So this is your 197 (Merrill/Surber) 197 is going to be a bread and butter weight for DT (being that's about how big he is) and he will take this personally. It's similar to PSU 165/174s always doing well since Casey is around that weight and 184/197 with Cael. They will get the best out of their guys even if it means beating it out of them in practice.

The Wildcards - From 141 to 157 in a year (and truly a 149), Teague Travis beat Ed Scott and went R16 .... now a summer to lift weights? Similarly, Carter Young had a magical summer before enrolling in Stillwater. DT/Kennedy are confident the magic exists and they're going to get it out of him (Jamison is going 141 for that reason)

Thought this was worth starting another discussion (apologies if excessive and obviously feel free to merge into "Next Years Line Up")

He has Oklahoma State 3rd with 83 points. Willie's Crystal Ball points by place so while it does bake in bonus, it's a conservative estimate. For example, Dustin Plott scores 15 for getting 3rd (1.5 total bonus) But if he records a tech and 2 majors on his way to 3rd, he's at 17.

He has

Spratley 5
Hughes R12
Jamison R12
Young R12
Travis 0-2 or 1-2 (he only awards if he has R16, aka winning 2 matches at least)
Amine 6
Hamiti 3
Plott 3
Surber 0-2 or 1-2 (like Travis)
Hendrickson 2

IMO these are pretty bearish if anything. Amine has placed 4th twice in deeper 165s and I believe will be rejuvenated. I think giving 3 R12 from 133 to 149 is kind of hedging for one AA in that group (since thats 12 points awarded so that is 2 lower AAs or 1 mid AA) so I actually don't think that's an odd projection (even though it looks weird)

Big thing I am shocked by is predicting the eventual 197 starter to not be R16 when it's either a guy who has been R16 and beaten Elam and has given Buchanan all he wanted (Surber) or is a super college ready stud freshman (Merrill) and they're getting their butts beat by David Taylor all day and night.
Not excessive and extremely fun. Can you state the point totals per team?

Lets not merge it?

-Sprat, yes, it will be disappointing if he doesn't AA, but the weight is a buzzsaw. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Finals.
-Hughes, I say AA, but it has been quite awhile since I've seen him Wrestle.
-Jamison, with the right cut, he is dangerous....r12 as a floor.
-Young, completely clueless here.
-Travis, completely disrespectful here. R12 guy to me?
-Amine, I agree. I think he will be more productive scoring and that is scary for the field to think about and a 6 place finish is low.
-Hamiti, I am excited and would be happy with this prediction.
-Plott, same as above but I sure would like to see him get a Title. Too tough to predict that though.
-Surber, if healthy is 100% an AA threat and 2-2 is probably the floor.
-Hendrickson, I agree.

Reactions: AtownPoke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT