ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy RTC

At the end of May, the Cowboy Wrestling Club launched it's website and started taking on members! Everybody who joins will get a level of access to the club, but will also get exclusive gear, a periodic newsletter, exclusive access to episodes of the Dynasty Defined podcast, and more.

I know a lot of folks are frustrated that it took OSU this long to get in the game.... but the races are on now and every single one of you that joins makes a huge difference. The club is actively working to bring in new coaches and senior level athletes, and is committed to making Stillwater the best place to pursue Olympic aspirations.

Also make sure to save the date for October 7th for the Cowboy Wrestling Club golf tournament. Last year's event was a huge success and a ton of fun. After the tournament, there will be an after party. The next day, there is a football game against Tech and before the CWC is hosting the annual wrestling alumni tailgate. Will be another great event, so would love to see you all there.

At the end of May, the Cowboy Wrestling Club launched it's website and started taking on members! Everybody who joins will get a level of access to the club, but will also get exclusive gear, a periodic newsletter, exclusive access to episodes of the Dynasty Defined podcast, and more.

I know a lot of folks are frustrated that it took OSU this long to get in the game.... but the races are on now and every single one of you that joins makes a huge difference. The club is actively working to bring in new coaches and senior level athletes, and is committed to making Stillwater the best place to pursue Olympic aspirations.

Also make sure to save the date for October 7th for the Cowboy Wrestling Club golf tournament. Last year's event was a huge success and a ton of fun. After the tournament, there will be an after party. The next day, there is a football game against Tech and before the CWC is hosting the annual wrestling alumni tailgate. Will be another great event, so would love to see you all there.
How does exclusive access to Dynasty Defined Podcast differ from the current access? Thanks

Reactions: okcpokefan12
How does exclusive access to Dynasty Defined Podcast differ from the current access? Thanks

Interviews with current athletes and coaches, or CWC athletes, will be gated. Members will get access to hear them at least two weeks in advance and in some instances and some will stay exclusive forever. Just depends on the content of the episode.

You're missing the point.

- Lugo is better than Torres in freestyle, look up their results. But the real value of RTCs for colleges is in folkstyle anyway. And we all know folkstyle practices are happening. Lugo was the #1 seed and favorite to win NCAAs @ 149 in 2020. His value in training with the Iowa lower & middle weights far exceeds Torres's value in training with OSU's upper weights. Look at Alex's impact on Michigan this year. 157-184 all AA'd.

- RTCs are designed to promote the international styles at all age levels, true. But people donate $ to fund the post grads. It attracts top recruits knowing they will have elite training partners. And those recruits know they will one day get the opportunity to be paid themselves as they chase their Olympic dreams.

- If Torres is a resident athlete then he should be listed on the website. BTW, listing college guys is ridiculous. Hopefully we don't start listing the Stillwater HS guys next. And hosting a few French visitors and others is nice, but it pales in comparison with what other colleges are doing. Some schools are hosting entire national teams for college duals on Rokfin. Maybe one day we'll wake up and start a Rokfin channel of our own.

- You asked about joining the CWC. Here's a story...3 years ago I attempted to contact the wrestling office inquiring about how I could donate to the RTC. Left 2 voicemails - and got no reply. Someone suggested I try emailing Holder. Holder replied within 2 hours. He directed me to someone from the wrestling office and cc'd them. I emailed that person directly and asked for the address and also if there was a way to donate to the RTC online, with the idea of recurring payments. They said they would get back to me - and then never did.

Maybe things are changing. Hopefully they are. But at this point, I don't plan to join the CWC until I hear John state that he fully supports the RTC model - and that he will be adding post grad athletes and coaches. Posts on message boards just don't cut it for me.

Moving this over here. But you're entitled to your opinion.

John has stated twice now that he fully supports what the CWC is doing. They are actively pursuing new athletes and coaches. They are actively fundraising so that they can have a budget that puts us on par with Penn State and Michigan. This is absolutely in the works and is a top priority.

You don't have to believe me. That's fine by me. I don't post here for clout or to look like a know it all. I post under my real name for a reason. If y'all have an issue with anything I say or do, I'll own that. I'm not hiding from it, and I've built up something that I would hate to lose... So there is skin in the game for this for me. I gain nothing from lying to you, so take that for what it's worth. All I've got is my word. Doesn't mean you've got to take it though.

Moving this over here. But you're entitled to your opinion.

John has stated twice now that he fully supports what the CWC is doing. They are actively pursuing new athletes and coaches. They are actively fundraising so that they can have a budget that puts us on par with Penn State and Michigan. This is absolutely in the works and is a top priority.

You don't have to believe me. That's fine by me. I don't post here for clout or to look like a know it all. I post under my real name for a reason. If y'all have an issue with anything I say or do, I'll own that. I'm not hiding from it, and I've built up something that I would hate to lose... So there is skin in the game for this for me. I gain nothing from lying to you, so take that for what it's worth. All I've got is my word. Doesn't mean you've got to take it though.

Not saying you are lying. But I do think it's possible that you are given bad info sometimes. You previously posted this, including the quoted remarks.

I was told the website would be released by the end of April but here we are... Basically they're going to make it possible to contribute to the RTC in many different ways. They're going to host more events in conjunction with duals. They're going to make big investments in getting athletes the resources they need to be successful. Including coaching, funding, and partners. "We're never going to lose an athlete because of money again."

I thought an announcement was going to happen by now, but looks like it got delayed. I deserve that rating hit on the podcast.

Did that announcement ever happen? Maybe I just missed it. Also, where & when did John state that he fully supports the RTC? Because I didn't see that either.

Here's the point...John is the leader of this program. He's the face of this program. For years he has not embraced the RTC model. I think everyone would agree with that. If that's changed now, I think prospective donors and recruits would like to hear it.

Not saying you are lying. But I do think it's possible that you are given bad info sometimes. You previously posted this, including the quoted remarks.

Did that announcement ever happen? Maybe I just missed it. Also, where & when did John state that he fully supports the RTC? Because I didn't see that either.

Here's the point...John is the leader of this program. He's the face of this program. For years he has not embraced the RTC model. I think everyone would agree with that. If that's changed now, I think prospective donors and recruits would like to hear it.
Not to be salty but the website is up. It's been up for a few months. They're taking my payments, lol. Do you need John to call up the newspapers before you'll accept it? Again apologies for the attitude - just riled up by the AJ news, plus bummed that loyal fans that have been calling for an RTC won't embrace the RTC. Yes they could do better at publicizing it but dang sometimes you can't wait for perfection before making a move.

Caveat. I too would love WAY more transparency from the administration and the coaching staff on these new developments. It would seriously make my life as a fan. But I'm not going to withhold my support because my unspoken expectations haven't been met.

Another caveat. Do what you want. This is just me and I don't expect anyone to follow my example. You do you. I think we all have similar goals and interests here so this post while a bit upset is not meant to divide at all.

Not to be salty but the website is up. It's been up for a few months. They're taking my payments, lol. Do you need John to call up the newspapers before you'll accept it? Again apologies for the attitude - just riled up by the AJ news, plus bummed that loyal fans that have been calling for an RTC won't embrace the RTC. Yes they could do better at publicizing it but dang sometimes you can't wait for perfection before making a move.

Caveat. I too would love WAY more transparency from the administration and the coaching staff on these new developments. It would seriously make my life as a fan. But I'm not going to withhold my support because my unspoken expectations haven't been met.

Another caveat. Do what you want. This is just me and I don't expect anyone to follow my example. You do you. I think we all have similar goals and interests here so this post while a bit upset is not meant to divide at all.
Not to be salty, but you can take your attitude and your caveats and stuff em. Frankly, I don't care if you've donated or not.

John set this program back for the past decade by his stubborn refusal to adopt the RTC model. If that's changed now and he wants to fix it, then he should lay out his vision going forward.

That's me doing me.

Reactions: CowboyTanker

The announcement happened on May 30. John has spoken about it publicly in two media availabilities since NCAAs.

Reactions: alex1fly and Cowguy
You guys see the "stop paying Derek Fix" letter?
Umm no. Care to elaborate on this?

I've been hoping for someone new for a few years. I respect Derek for his involvement and dedication to the program, but there are a lot of better options out there. Possibly a coach who can bring in new fresh senior level talent. I also believe he has held Daton back from reaching his full potential. Just my opinion but its easy to have blinders on when coaching your son.

So there's a letter requesting Derek Fix to no longer receive any monies from CWC. And the insinuation is that Derek's "involvement" with CWC is threatening their 501c3 status.

This is bad guys...

• Wow
Reactions: dunkej01
At least these issues aren’t being brushed under the rug anymore. The more attention that is bought to the weaknesses of the program the better

Reactions: CowboyTanker
The announcement happened on May 30. John has spoken about it publicly in two media availabilities since NCAAs.
I do wish these media availabilities were easier to find. Or there was a way to be notified. I know the ocolly hosts the videos sometimes but even then it’s hard to comb their site and find the content.

I do wish these media availabilities were easier to find. Or there was a way to be notified. I know the ocolly hosts the videos sometimes but even then it’s hard to comb their site and find the content.
Best way to find it is Hope Adam Engel puts it on Twitter.

Two Cowboy RTC athletes are competing in the world championships this week.

Jacarra Winchester finished fifth place. Wrestled for bronze this morning and got up big on the Chinese wrestler, 12-4, but got caught in the second period and was pinned.

Noel Torres starts his tournament tomorrow at 86kg. He got a decent draw. Wrestles a Bulgarian in round one, likely will take on Turkey's Eldin in round two, and if he gets through that will wrestle Iran's Yazdani in the quarters.

So there's a letter requesting Derek Fix to no longer receive any monies from CWC. And the insinuation is that Derek's "involvement" with CWC is threatening their 501c3 status.

This is bad guys...

The OU message board had a reference to this on Twitter. I read the email a couple of months back. Besides Derek, it also mentioned a few other things that were pretty incriminating. Does anyone know if there was a response to the insinuations? Was it all unfounded?

The OU message board had a reference to this on Twitter. I read the email a couple of months back. Besides Derek, it also mentioned a few other things that were pretty incriminating. Does anyone know if there was a response to the insinuations? Was it all unfounded?

It's all nonsense. Can 100% confirm that. All funding for the RTC is run through the Tulsa Community Foundation. They confirm everything and make sure that it is on the up-and-up before issuing payment. It's all absolutely vetted and legit. I'm not going to get into why those emails are out there or any of that... not my place... but I can absolutely confirm that the RTC is properly run and that there is no question on the status of the organization.

It's all nonsense. Can 100% confirm that. All funding for the RTC is run through the Tulsa Community Foundation. They confirm everything and make sure that it is on the up-and-up before issuing payment. It's all absolutely vetted and legit. I'm not going to get into why those emails are out there or any of that... not my place... but I can absolutely confirm that the RTC is properly run and that there is no question on the status of the organization.
Good to hear. It seemed odd that the email found its way on to message boards. And the twitter exchange I saw was almost childish.

After Worlds, I'm hopeful we add a big name athlete or coach to the RTC. We need to start grabbing headlines in a good way.

I asked about the RTC stuff and was basically told it was complete BS with the hint that somebody involved was crazy/had an axe to grind/just lying/ and had no position or influence.

Good to hear. It seemed odd that the email found its way on to message boards. And the twitter exchange I saw was almost childish.

After Worlds, I'm hopeful we add a big name athlete or coach to the RTC. We need to start grabbing headlines in a good way.

I hope so too. Hearing plenty but ready to see it! Been a long offseason.

Reactions: Wrassler17
It's going to take a MAJOR cash infusion to boost our RTC in any meaningful manner, and I just don't see it happening (at least any time remotely soon). The talent density is just too high at a few other places for any top level talent not wrestling for us to come here to train Olympic styles.

It’s been said there are a lot of positive changes coming to our RTC soon. We will see if any of it makes a splash.

No $2000 a year to the White Jacket Club is all I can do but I am hoping someone with the means can step up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT