ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations!

Well said.

I'd just like to add thanks to the whole team - starters and reserves - for your hard work this year. Proud that you represent the program and the University.

It was a rough tournament no doubt. To those that are disappointed that you didn't achieve some of your individual goals this year, just remember this - there was a guy once that was beaten decisively in the NCAAs as a sophomore. Then he reeled off 2 titles and 6 straight gold medals. It's all still in front of you.

Congrats! Enjoyed driving from dallas
To watch you guys this year on multiple occasions. Keep working hard and next year could be your year!

This kid "gets it". Hope he continues to be a Cowboy and wreaks havoc as a starter next year. Probably my favorite Poke.

Very nice kid and family. I spoke to them Sat afternoon and he and has family were appreciative of my comments and the support he has received while at OSU. Glad to have him as part of the team and really hopes he finishes as a high AA next year.

We did not have a good NCAA tournament but had a good year. We had 50% of our team with zero post season experience. Easily won the Big 12. I believe a we will be in the hunt for the title next year. Not disappointed in any of the team or coaches. Some fans seem to be a little fair weathered and not supportive, I am disappointed in that. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ENTIRE OSU WRESTLING TEAM. GO POKES !

Win or lose, they have been an entertaining team to watch. I appreciate the effort by each wrestler and look forward to following the team again next year.

Reactions: osu2082
Congrats to the entire team! Many of us were disappointed but I was proud of all of our wrestlers. Dean Heil had a great career and nothing can take that away. I understand that both Preston and Jacobe will be having knee surgery soon and will be healed up 100% by next season. Thanks to them for making an extraordinary effort to even get to the tournament. Pic was a better wrestler this year although he did not make it to the award stand and I expect he will be better next year and place high. Chandler is still the most fun wrestler to watch and will place higher next year. Kaid was up and down this year but now is a two time All-American and will be a four timer and a national champion. Boo Lewallen silenced his critics of mid-year and was an All-American. Great things ahead for him. Keegan Moore is showing the promise he showed in High School and with renewed dedication he will be on the Awards stand next year. 285 clears out a lot next year and Derek White will be one of the top returning heavies. We had no idea at the first of the year that he would be as good as he is.
Cleveland was the low spot and an aberration for our team and the return to the Glory days starts now.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Congrats to the entire team! Many of us were disappointed but I was proud of all of our wrestlers. Dean Heil had a great career and nothing can take that away. I understand that both Preston and Jacobe will be having knee surgery soon and will be healed up 100% by next season. Thanks to them for making an extraordinary effort to even get to the tournament. Pic was a better wrestler this year although he did not make it to the award stand and I expect he will be better next year and place high. Chandler is still the most fun wrestler to watch and will place higher next year. Kaid was up and down this year but now is a two time All-American and will be a four timer and a national champion. Boo Lewallen silenced his critics of mid-year and was an All-American. Great things ahead for him. Keegan Moore is showing the promise he showed in High School and with renewed dedication he will be on the Awards stand next year. 285 clears out a lot next year and Derek White will be one of the top returning heavies. We had no idea at the first of the year that he would be as good as he is.
Cleveland was the low spot and an aberration for our team and the return to the Glory days starts now.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Regarding Preston, does anyone know if he could be granted a 6th year for the 2020 season? I know it's not exactly crystal clear how the NCAA determines these things, but he was injured almost his entire true freshman year and then the majority of this year (beginning /middle /end). Is the key factor whether you were healthy enough to wrestle at the start of the post season for at least 4 years? If so, his situation might be similar to Ashnault's, where he could try but it's anyone's guess what the NCAA would decide.

Preston might not even want a 6th year, but if he got one, our 2019-2020 team would be even stronger.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he could not get a medical redshirt since he competed in the NCAA tournament. Those typically occur if you have not competed in the last half of the season.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Regarding Preston, does anyone know if he could be granted a 6th year for the 2020 season? I know it's not exactly crystal clear how the NCAA determines these things, but he was injured almost his entire true freshman year and then the majority of this year (beginning /middle /end). Is the key factor whether you were healthy enough to wrestle at the start of the post season for at least 4 years? If so, his situation might be similar to Ashnault's, where he could try but it's anyone's guess what the NCAA would decide.

Preston might not even want a 6th year, but if he got one, our 2019-2020 team would be even stronger.

The rule is you can't have wrestled more than 30% of the scheduled dates. Weigel wrestled in 11 (9 duals, Big 12s, and NCAAs) of 20.

The rule is you can't have wrestled more than 30% of the scheduled dates. Weigel wrestled in 11 (9 duals, Big 12s, and NCAAs) of 20.

Never been real clear on why someone is sometimes granted a 6th year. I thought it was almost purposely vague.

Kaid got a medical hardship waiver (usually called a medical redshirt) for his first year. The keys there were he didn't compete in more than 30% of team competitions and he didn't compete in the second half of the year. Preston would need a 5 year waiver (giving him a 6th year). Are you saying the same 30% of competition rule applies there as well, but needed for 2 different years? So his true freshman year would qualify, but not this year.

I guess I don't understand why Ashnault would even bother to apply then. He should have no chance at being granted one, correct?

Never been real clear on why someone is sometimes granted a 6th year. I thought it was almost purposely vague.

Kaid got a medical hardship waiver (usually called a medical redshirt) for his first year. The keys there were he didn't compete in more than 30% of team competitions and he didn't compete in the second half of the year. Preston would need a 5 year waiver (giving him a 6th year). Are you saying the same 30% of competition rule applies there as well, but needed for 2 different years? So his true freshman year would qualify, but not this year.

I guess I don't understand why Ashnault would even bother to apply then. He should have no chance at being granted one, correct?

It is vague. Because it has changed over the years and doesn't happen that much it can be hard to get a handle on. You can read the rule in the NCAA rulebook, but it doesn't always match up with the end result. The 30% rule is a hardship waiver thing, as you mentioned, but it is generally believed to be a rule of thumb the NCAA looks at to determine if a year should count towards the two missed when applying for a 6th year. Ashnault's case is odd because he missed a good deal of his redshirt season, then all of this season. The rulebook specifically says redshirting doesn't count as missing time, but it seems (based on Willie Miklus getting a sixth year) that being injured during the redshirt season can make it count. We'll see on Ashnault as he actually competed early on, then came back for the National Collegiate Open in March as a redshirt. That makes it difficult to pinpoint how many dates he was forced to miss as redshirts usually compete infrequently anyway.

As to Preston, I'd say there is no chance for this season to count as one of the two so, if he is healthy next season, I'd expect that to be it.

It is vague. Because it has changed over the years and doesn't happen that much it can be hard to get a handle on. You can read the rule in the NCAA rulebook, but it doesn't always match up with the end result. The 30% rule is a hardship waiver thing, as you mentioned, but it is generally believed to be a rule of thumb the NCAA looks at to determine if a year should count towards the two missed when applying for a 6th year. Ashnault's case is odd because he missed a good deal of his redshirt season, then all of this season. The rulebook specifically says redshirting doesn't count as missing time, but it seems (based on Willie Miklus getting a sixth year) that being injured during the redshirt season can make it count. We'll see on Ashnault as he actually competed early on, then came back for the National Collegiate Open in March as a redshirt. That makes it difficult to pinpoint how many dates he was forced to miss as redshirts usually compete infrequently anyway.

As to Preston, I'd say there is no chance for this season to count as one of the two so, if he is healthy next season, I'd expect that to be it.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

The NCAA is really relaxing the hardship/waiver rules. Grant Leeth was just effectively awarded a 7th year (not the usual 6th). He was healthy as a true freshman in 2015, then missed 2 years with injuries. The NCAA gave him both of those years back. Makes you wonder who else would be eligible for an additional year.

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/Po...&twSessionId=tnhjkcospnwgvhu&postId=674164132

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT