ADVERTISEMENT

Climate change extremes?

Go look in the mirror.
tenor.gif

I guess the science is still out on basic economics.
I asked you how you would set your tax rates to produce the result of reduced individual emissions and you replied with

Set an emission goal and raise the carbon tax until you achieve it. Tax is on all fuel (weighted by CO2 produced in combustion) and is redistributed equally to everyone, that way if you use less fuel than the average person, you actually benefit, and if you use more than average you lose. The goal isn't to make everyone a low emitter of CO2 it is to reduce aggregate emissions. If you want to waste your wealth on taking up more of that emission pie than your neighbor, this is America afterall.

That sounds like a plan that allows those who can afford to continue producing excess carbon emissions to keep producing excess emissions and those that produce less will benefit monetarily, which of course might allow them to produce more themselves. How exactly does that achieve the goal of reducing carbon emissions?

I've never seen someone so desperate for a strawman.
Yes, me either.

Even though there are some glaring questions about the science of man-made climate change, we should operate from the premise that it's all true and CO2 is bad but we shouldn't do anything to actually force wealthy people to stop producing more of the harmful stuff than the rest of the people as a starting point.

It's really bad but not bad enough for people to change their lavish lifestyles is a great looking argument from any perspective.

I asked you how you would set your tax rates to produce the result of reduced individual emissions and you replied with

That sounds like a plan that allows those who can afford to continue producing excess carbon emissions to keep producing excess emissions and those that produce less will benefit monetarily, which of course might allow them to produce more themselves. How exactly does that achieve the goal of reducing carbon emissions?
Yeah actually taxes and prices have no effect on consumption.

Yes, me either.

Even though there are some glaring questions about the science of man-made climate change, we should operate from the premise that it's all true and CO2 is bad but we shouldn't do anything to actually force wealthy people to stop producing more of the harmful stuff than the rest of the people as a starting point.

It's really bad but not bad enough for people to change their lavish lifestyles is a great looking argument from any perspective.
We should weigh the uncertainty of climate change against the worst possible least palatable solutions to climate change instead of the actual proposals be put forth.

I was born yesterday and don't understand how taxes reduce consumption.

I forgot that we only discuss politically feasible things here. (I keed)

A carbon tax is just the most elegant way of regulating emissions and solving the dilemma that Medic brought up about who gets to fly and who doesn't. My prefered policies if I were president and I didn't want to waste all of my political capital is:

1. Tariff on foreign oil couched as protection of American oilfield workers being put out of work. As Trump has demonstrated people don't get upset about taxes if you call them tariffs.
2. Federal government level energy procurement is required to be 50% renewable (and scale this figure up every year)
3. All new federal government level vehicles must zero emission. All new federal building with solar on top. Sourced in the US
4. A bunch of Military initiatives around non-fossil fuel energy sources this will be couched in terms of readiness not the environment (this is to drive battery energy density and efficiency)
5. Infrastructure bill that will be couched as putting Americans to work that will focus on
A. Ocean shipping particularly harbor capacity and loading and unloading infrastructure at ports
B. Waterway shipping particularly dredging rivers and maximizing the amount of rivers navigable by large barges, also river port capacity
C. Freight railway, more tracks and many more hubs for loading and unloading
D. High speed passenger rail that mirrors the busiest air routes
E. Light rail in cities​
6. Initiatives to increase the density of urban areas through the way programs like FHA are administered.

None of these require you to be a believer in Global Warming to support (although believers are a majority) We all benefit from cheaper cleaner energy and cheaper transportation.
Interesting.

Care to answer my question?

We should weigh the uncertainty of climate change against the worst possible least palatable solutions to climate change instead of the actual proposals be put forth.
Does the danger of CO2 emissions really need a palatable solution or an effective one?

The gas guzzler tax has been super effective at reducing consumption...
This is your hill? The taxes on fuel consumption will not reduce fuel consumption hill?

Such bad faith I don't know why I bother.

Interesting.

Care to answer my question?
Found the question. I don't think you can flip people because they are dug in or sociopathic sophists, which is why I think you have to find things that work without flipping people.

Why does it need to be palatable? Most people wouldn't be affected by not being able to buy an Audi R8, buy a 46 foot Fountain, or live in a 5,000 square foot house. Forcing the wealthy to reduce carbon emissions by eliminating their ability to be less responsible will only be unpalatable to them.

This is your hill? The taxes on fuel consumption will not reduce fuel consumption hill?

Such bad faith I don't know why I bother.
Huh? You said taxes reduce consumption. I pointed out an example of a tax designed to reduce consumption that doesn't reduce consumption. It has never been altered and doesn't apply to the some of the least fuel efficient vehicles on the road.

I've asked you for your specific ideas but have gotten nothing but vagueness in response. I'll try again. What type and level of taxation do you think would reduce carbon emissions? Let's look at vehicles and housing for simplicity.

Why does it need to be palatable? Most people wouldn't be affected by not being able to buy an Audi R8, buy a 46 foot Fountain, or live in a 5,000 square foot house. Forcing the wealthy to reduce carbon emissions by eliminating their ability to be less responsible will only be unpalatable to them.
Politics

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. The wants of the wealthy, who are the biggest contributors of carbon emissions, outweigh the dangers we're told carbon emissions create. How exactly does that compute to anything that's logical if the goal is to actually reduce carbon emissions?

Huh? You said taxes reduce consumption. I pointed out an example of a tax designed to reduce consumption that doesn't reduce consumption. It has never been altered and doesn't apply to the some of the least fuel efficient vehicles on the road.
Are you sure it doesn't reduce consumption?

I've asked you for your specific ideas but have gotten nothing but vagueness in response. I'll try again. What type and level of taxation do you think would reduce carbon emissions? Let's look at vehicles and housing for simplicity.
Ask an some economists what the elasticity of fuel demand is. Ask a climate scientist for an emissions target. Tax the production and importation of fuel accordingly. If the tax ends up being too low, increase it, if it ends up being too high decrease it. This is not hard. Just because the plan is simple doesn't make it vague.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. The wants of the wealthy, who are the biggest contributors of carbon emissions, outweigh the dangers we're told carbon emissions create. How exactly does that compute to anything that's logical if the goal is to actually reduce carbon emissions?
Medic, please feel free to start a political party based on banning sports cars and large houses. I don't think it is a winning platform. But you do you.

Are you sure it doesn't reduce consumption?
Yes.

Ask an some economists what the elasticity of fuel demand is. Ask a climate scientist for an emissions target. Tax the production and importation of fuel accordingly. If the tax ends up being too low, increase it, if it ends up being too high decrease it. This is not hard. Just because the plan is simple doesn't make it vague.
More taxes on fuel? That is simple. It's also going to have its greatest impact on the poor, the folks who proportionally produce much less carbon emissions than the wealthy. Taxing fuel to the levels that would be necessary to reduce consumption in the wealthy will price the poor and middle class out of being able to afford gasoline. That sounds like a terrible plan.

Reactions: Bitter Creek
Medic, please feel free to start a political party based on banning sports cars and large houses. I don't think it is a winning platform. But you do you.
So carbon emissions aren't dangerous enough to actually force people to change behaviors, willingly or not? I thought the Democrats were the party that wants to reduce carbon emissions. A new party is needed to actually get serious about it?

Yes.

More taxes on fuel? That is simple. It's also going to have its greatest impact on the poor, the folks who proportionally produce much less carbon emissions than the wealthy. Taxing fuel to the levels that would be necessary to reduce consumption in the wealthy will price the poor and middle class out of being able to afford gasoline. That sounds like a terrible plan.
That's where the redistribution part comes in. Anyone who uses less than average (mean) actually benefits.

So carbon emissions aren't dangerous enough to actually force people to change behaviors, willingly or not? I thought the Democrats were the party that wants to reduce carbon emissions. A new party is needed to actually get serious about it?
Carbon emissions are dangerous enough to insist on politically feasible solutions like the the carbon tax we are discussing.

How do they benefit monetarily? Just by using less fuel? Tax rebates? You've mentioned redistribution several times. What exactly does that entail?
All the carbon taxes collected are rebated out equally. So if you use less than average you get back more from the rebate than you pay in taxes.

Reactions: davidallen
If the rising CO2 is truly as dangerous as people make it sound, why do we continue to allow this? Having wealth allows people to produce a large excess of carbon emissions and all we are willing to do is shrug our shoulders while claiming the planet is on the verge of calamity? Sounds really dumb to me.
Fascist much?

You've created some word salads but have yet to disclose how "market based workable solutions" will actually reduce CO2 emissions. All I've seen is the wealthy can continue to produce large amounts of carbon emissions if they are willing to pay top dollar for the privilege.
Don't put your lack of effort or comprehension on others... If this shit were easy it would already be part of your basic platform.

Carbon emissions are dangerous enough to insist on politically feasible solutions like the the carbon tax we are discussing.
And we're back to politically feasible is more important than actual reduction. Folks on this board wonder why people like me find the man-made climate discussion very hypocritical. Here's the answer.

And we're back to politically feasible is more important than actual reduction. Folks on this board wonder why people like me find the man-made climate discussion very hypocritical. Here's the answer.
What if you could have both?

Reactions: davidallen
Don't put your lack of effort or comprehension on others... If this shit were easy it would already be part of your basic platform.
And the usual ad hominem from you. You seem rather defensive. Why?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT