ADVERTISEMENT

Chesapeake v. McClendon anyone here with any insight?

hollywood

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I have just read a smattering of articles on this topic. Chesapeake accusing McClendon of using their "trade secrets" to get a foot-up when he started his new company.

The accusations seem to center around the time right after McClendon announced he was leaving the company. They accuse him of using his position to copy proprietary and confidential maps, assays, etc. and involved his assistant to do much of the dirty work for him as well as making use of the company's email system to send this info to at least 4 email accounts owned by him.

It sure sounds like things got down and dirty from the time he agreed to leave until he actually left.

I'm sure he did, but how can it be proven, unless there are emails documents or some other physical evidence pointing to it (short of something that is an exact copy/replica)?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by poke2001:
I'm sure he did, but how can it be proven, unless there are emails documents or some other physical evidence pointing to it (short of something that is an exact copy/replica)?
I would think it could be proven pretty easily should an actual lawsuit result. The discovery process would uncover any electronic copies of the communications. If there are physical copies, that's easily discoverable, and if anything is destroyed after a lawsuit commences, the company/individual perpetrators could get in serious trouble for spoliation of evidence. If there's not a lawsuit and it's just allegations in the press, obviously that's a different story.

It's a lawsuit, it was filed yesterday.

Chesapeake claims that they hired a forensic expert to look through all the emails, communications and documents that came into his possession following his forced resignation, but before he had actually been removed and a replacement named. According to them, that is how they discovered he had been emailing info to at least 4 "anonymous" email accounts he had set up.

I was just curious of anyone had heard any scuttlebutt on the case.

It also involves how he is allegedly using about 20 terabytes of data given to him by the separation agreement. Cheasapeake claims he is using it in prohibited manner and for prohibited purposes and he denies it.

The only personal insight I have is my wife told me McClendon's new companies just started hiring OKCPD officers to guard their parking lots and other stuff at $30/hr. Not a bad second job for your off days. She also said McClendon has had some of the officers guarding his residence around the clock. She asked me if we had heard anything in the fusion center about threats being made.

I had a lady get money from a competitor to start her own franchise of their business in return for sharing all of our clients, contracts, etc.

All communication was retrieved from the computer she had reformatted.

She bought the domain name from it. She emailed them to and from it and she called them from her phone in our office.

She had taken home stacks and stacks of proprietary documents to copy.

We spent tons and tons of money fighting it.

In the end, we won but got nothing out of it other than shutting her down.

Based on that experience, I really don't know what they can do other than make life hard on him.

It's complicated bc, as i understand it, he is a partner in every well Chesapeake drills. So, he's privy to the information (geological surveys of formations, etc) in the same plays as AEP has invested in.

Originally posted by squeak:
It's complicated bc, as i understand it, he is a partner in every well Chesapeake drills. So, he's privy to the information (geological surveys of formations, etc) in the same plays as AEP has invested in.
That is a crux of the lawsuit. Cheasapeake alleges all that information provided to him is supposed to be used only to verify he is being compensated properly in those partnerships and that he is using it to advance AEP additionally.

Is there not info on prospective area's that CHK did not already own that he took? If that's the case then he would not be part owner and privy to that data?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT