ADVERTISEMENT

Canton Ohio Black Man dies while handcuffed on floor. Here we go again

From my neck of the woods. ATF raids the home of a Little Rock Airport Executive at 6am with a no knock warrant and is shot in the head.

Well that was interesting, hats off to the cop. Would be great if that's how they all went down but they don't.
With proper training they all go down like that. I've been on countless calls just like it. What you saw wasn't spontaneous. That was good training. It all started with recognition of the information being provided by the police dispatcher.

Well that was interesting, hats off to the cop. Would be great if that's how they all went down but they don't.
Compare the video 67 posted with this one:

And this one:

Restricting the breathing of someone with acute lactic acidosis will kill them. That's objective human physiology and not my opinion. The only way they can compensate for the accumulation of lactic acid is by blowing off large volumes of carbon dioxide. Face down, cuffed, with grown people on your back doesn't allow for good chest expansion and without that, death comes quickly.

Compare the video 67 posted with this one:

And this one:

Restricting the breathing of someone with acute lactic acidosis will kill them. That's objective human physiology and not my opinion. The only way they can compensate for the accumulation of lactic acid is by blowing off large volumes of carbon dioxide. Face down, cuffed, with grown people on your back doesn't allow for good chest expansion and without that, death comes quickly.
If you don't want to wind up face down on the ground in cuffs, maybe try not being a menace to society. Its not the cop's jobs to treat violent criminals with kid gloves.

If you don't want to wind up face down on the ground in cuffs, maybe try not being a menace to society. Its not the cop's jobs to treat violent criminals with kid gloves.
If cops want to keep going to jail and being sued, they should keep doing the same things that are getting them put behind bars and judgments rendered against them.

You like many others are confusing a medical emergency with a law enforcement emergency. That continued confusion is what will land more cops in jail for doing their job without adequate training.

If cops want to keep going to jail and being sued, they should keep doing the same things that are getting them put behind bars and judgments rendered against them.

You like many others are confusing a medical emergency with a law enforcement emergency. That continued confusion is what will land more cops in jail for doing their job without adequate training.
Im not confusing anything. You are implying that that medical emergency just happened to occur independent of the crime itself, and we both know that it didn't. That medical emergency is a by-product of the drugs combined with excessive adrenaline leading to the lactic buildup. The more physical the criminal is, the more likely this occurs. And it shouldn't be on the cops to add risk to their job just so they can protect the criminal from the life-ending consequences of his actions.

Reactions: OUSOONER67

This is where I have a problem. A police officer is duty bound by the government to intervene with some wacko to protect the public but if that intervention goes bad the police officer is held personally responsible not the wacko.

Im not confusing anything. You are implying that that medical emergency just happened to occur independent of the crime itself, and we both know that it didn't. That medical emergency is a by-product of the drugs combined with excessive adrenaline leading to the lactic buildup. The more physical the criminal is, the more likely this occurs. And it shouldn't be on the cops to add risk to their job just so they can protect the criminal from the life-ending consequences of his actions.
Uhhhh, the cops are adding all the risk by piling onto the backs of these people once they are cuffed and prone. That's the entire point. You can blame the criminals and their drug use all you want, but blame doesn't change outcomes and people aren't going to stop using drugs anytime soon. Changing police tactics during a medical emergency changes outcomes for these incidents. There's objective proof of both.

Doing the same thing over and over and over but expecting different results has a cliché definition.

Reactions: iasooner2000
This is where I have a problem. A police officer is duty bound by the government to intervene with some wacko to protect the public but if that intervention goes bad the police officer is held personally responsible not the wacko.
Yes, but there's a point where someone is no longer a threat to public safety - once someone is prone on the ground handcuffed behind their back is a great example.

Have you ever been in that position? If you have, have you ever tried to get back to your feet? Dog piling them after they are already restrained is the problem. Cops in my area get them cuffed, get off, and then play goalie. Not killing these people is actually very easy for us.

Just a thought here but what is different from this guy dying as a result of his own stupidity and say someone that is pit maneuvered causing a fatal ejection? Can cops be held responsible for that death as well? Here in Arkie the State Police love the pit maneuver.

Not one person in the history of message boards has anyone changed their opinion about anything.

Until now.

Medic, you have given me reason to believe it would be easy not to contribute to the deaths of these drug addicts. If they die lying on the ground handcuffed, oh well.

Kudos for what you do.

When I was a pre-teen my father of color taught me, always carefully follow law enforcement's direction. You should have no trouble. I never have had any trouble with law enforcement.

My biggest irritation with law enforcement? They ask for my Driver's Licence. Texas and Oklahoma issues a Driver License.

Just a thought here but what is different from this guy dying as a result of his own stupidity and say someone that is pit maneuvered causing a fatal ejection? Can cops be held responsible for that death as well? Here in Arkie the State Police love the pit maneuver.
Someone will always try to hold cops accountable for criminal asshats' stupidity. That's the issue and that's why I'm rabid about preventing in custody deaths. I hate seeing my brothers in blue go to prison over a simple lack of training.

To answer this, it's really apples and oranges, IMO. Pitting someone on the move to protect public safety is like tackling and getting cuffs on the meth head sprinting down the interstate trying to kill rush hour. Most likely a jury/investigation will conclude bad shit happens to bad people if bad shit happens to the suspect, IMO.

Slamming into the driver side of a suspect vehicle after it's been disabled, stopped, and the occupants held "safely" at gun point is the equivalent of dog piling the meth head already proned on the ground cuffed behind his back. Most likely a jury/investigation isn't going to see it favorably for the officers involved.

Yes, Arkie troopers do love the pit. I've seen quite a few of their videos. They do some high speed stuff that nearly wipes themselves out.

Last edited:
Not one person in the history of message boards has anyone changed their opinion about anything.

Until now.

Medic, you have given me reason to believe it would be easy not to contribute to the deaths of these drug addicts. If they die lying on the ground handcuffed, oh well.

Kudos for what you do.
Thank you. There's no guarantee they won't die just flopping around on the ground in cuffs. But it'll be much harder to blame the cops standing around playing goalie when they aren't plastered all over video kneeling on the suspect's back. I can speak from firsthand experience in both scenarios, unfortunately.

I once encountered an adult male on meth that fought the back end interior of a minivan to death. He shredded it. He wasn't restrained by anything, pure free range meth rage in the third row seating area. His mother stated she thought he laid down to rest at one point. Nope. He straight up died and had probably been dead for most of her trip on the turnpike.

Maybe cops should cuff the arms and legs behind their backs in an X configuration to assure that they can’t get up and/or away.
Then they can be hauled off and laughed at

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Maybe cops should cuff the arms and legs behind their backs in an X configuration to assure that they can’t get up and/or away.
Then they can be hauled off and laughed at
Can you imagine the "faux" outrage at the imagery of cops putting black men in shackles instead of handcuffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT