ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest hunting mistakes

• Thread starter anon_ph7vrsh7abnty
  • Start date
A

anon_ph7vrsh7abnty

Absorbing as much info as I can digest.

What are the biggest dumbass mistakes of new hunters?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thinking they are going to succeed the majority of the time. That and shooting themselves or someone else.

Thanks TC.

Was starting to feel like I had walked into a biker bar with cycling spandex.

Nothing replaces the value of experience. If you're serious about doing this here is how I would get started:

Find some who has hunted a lot in the area you plan on hunting.

Ask them to go with you to purchase the necessities.

Ask them to let you go hunting with them as much as possible.

You can read book after book on what you need to get started, but that is usually more harmful than beneficial. Someone with experience can help steer you in the right direction. Someone with experience in your neck of the woods can be invaluable.

Agree. Just start spending time with someone who shoots/hunts a lot.

Make sure you are familiar with the firearms you are using enough that there is no anxiety and you have no questions about how it works, how to maintain it, etc.

Then ask someone to take you hunting with them.

Make sure you understand how to field dress your animal. Read up on it, and watch how to videos online or just videos of people doing it. Have someone help you do it the first time.

Be very patient.

Adver, I'm starting to take my Grandson some now and it's alwasy safety first. From using a gun/bow or sharpy things, to handling a knife safely to tree stand safety, etc. (not to mention poisonous snakes & things that want to hurt you).

There are so many skills to learn: scouting, safety in shooting and all other things, woodscraft, stand placement/or general hunting strategies for game/location you want to hunt, noise control, camoflage, scent control, dealing with buck fever (asprin won't help),
and when successful to bag game, all the needed knowledge and skill to skin, cool, cut-up and care for it until it hits the freezer/frying pan. Cooking game can be very different that other meats too.

I agree, find an ethical hunter or three and often they are happy to help you, go to the gun range.
We all love this stuff so we like to talk about it, when we can't be in the field.

1. Safety
2. Ethics
3. Scent control
a. dont fill up with gas on way to stand
b. I wash my clothes in scent killer before each trip to a bow stand (not always for gun, distance helps)
c. I shower off with scent soap and use unscented anti persperant/deoderant to get rid of aftershave, sweat, etc
4. Along with 3. wind direction
5. Practice , practice practice ( would be higher but if you don't adhere to 3 & 4 your practice does you no good).
6. Ask dumb questions

I get to guide new hunters every year and the hardest thing for them, while not a mistake, is being able to see the animals we are hunting.

Originally posted by Adverpoke:
Absorbing as much info as I can digest.

What are the biggest dumbass mistakes of new hunters?

1. Drinking to much the night before your set to go out then sleeping in until it's time to head to Stillwater or watch the game on TV.

2. Drinking to much while at the game and blow off hunting that evening.

Originally posted by Dally1up:

1. Safety
2. Ethics
3. Scent control
a. dont fill up with gas on way to stand
b. I wash my clothes in scent killer before each trip to a bow stand (not always for gun, distance helps)
c. I shower off with scent soap and use unscented anti persperant/deoderant to get rid of aftershave, sweat, etc
4. Along with 3. wind direction
5. Practice , practice practice ( would be higher but if you don't adhere to 3 & 4 your practice does you no good).
6. Ask dumb questions
Don't buy a bunch of crap you wont use. keep it simple. hunt the wind, enjoy the experiance more than the killing. always let someone know where you are going and when you are going to be back.

Let me add. Don't move around. Get to your stand early and stay there. I don't care if this is private land or public. Nothing pisses me off more than some hanyak that gets the stand after daylight on opening morning, sits an hour then walks around doing his rendition of a spot/stalk. This messes up the hunt for not only him but also those around him.

If you must track game on adjoining property, seek landowners out at all times. IF YOU DECIDE TO WALK ON NEIGHBORS, do so only in hours where hunting may be minimal (noonish?).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT