ADVERTISEMENT

Best outcome for Roe v Wade?

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma
I see it right now as being tough to overturn, as much as I would like to see it overturned.

Possible outcomes:

1. Lower courts overturn Alabama law following Roe v Wade. SC refuses to hear it. Some believe the Missouri law that will get passed has a much better chance of making it to the SC. Missouri law sounds pretty robust and sophisticated, nuanced with the goal of getting SC approval.

2. Roe v Wade only allows abortions thru the first 3 months, correct? If so, how under the current SC ruling is late term abortions even allowed, how can these states get away with near birth abortions? Do these laws need to be litigated? If they are breaking the SC’s ruling on Roe v Wade is this not then murder?

3. Science is going to eventually force the SC to reconsider, how and when I am not sure. Some believe they are very close to proving the fetus can feel pain, and when that happens it is “game over”. I would guess perhaps they would abort only up to the point the fetus has no ability to feel pain? I would assume this would fall under cruel and unusual punishment?

4. Can they at least allow for the man to have a say? If the man wants the baby why not complete
adoption papers prior to birth and the man gets the baby and the mom has no legal rights or economic liability. If mom wants no baby and the man wants one, at least let the child live and allow the man to parent. It takes to 2 people to create a child, one person should not have a unilateral ability to destroy a life when both parties freely engaged in sex.

5. Or, why can the SC not allow each state to decide?

I am not certain the SC has the stomach to overturn, Kavanaugh is a strict Catholic and Catholics do not believe in abortion but I believe Kavanaugh will not mix religion and the law. If he votes to overturn it will be based on the law, and he said in his hearings he understood the importance of court precedent.

Alabama passing this legislation and Mizzou to follow is definitely going to bring back a serious debate on this issue. Something has to give eventually, science has changed a bunch since the 70’s.

Since Roe v Wade there has been 60 million abortions in this country, that is frightening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonersincefitty
#2 and #5: States can decide, but they can't restrict abortions when the fetus is not viable. Roe v Wade doesn't say you can't allow abortions when viable, just that you can't outlaw abortions when not viable.

4. Can they at least allow for the man to have a say? If the man wants the baby why not complete
adoption papers prior to birth and the man gets the baby and the mom has no legal rights or economic liability. If mom wants no baby and the man wants one, at least let the child live and allow the man to parent. It takes to 2 people to create a child, one person should not have a unilateral ability to destroy a life when both parties freely engaged in sex.

Totally agree. You can't give the woman all the authority and then hold the father responsible.

no offense but that’s a laughable position
you can’t budge when kids are breathing
I don't get your point?

If the mother chooses to keep the child despite the father wanting to abort - why should the father have any responsibility?

Reactions: MegaPoke
I don't get your point?

If the mother chooses to keep the child despite the father wanting to abort - why should the father have any responsibility?

legit question for philosophy class

reality is

the state wants its money
paternal rights are subjective

do you know all the state has to do to force you to take a paternity test is have a pregnant women say you could be the father?

you are then in the dna registry with
zero 4th amendment rights

Send RvW to the states for them to decide.

Ironic, that the Hollywood actresses advocacy to withhold sex reacting to the Georgia law is very much a pro-life tenet and neuters the abortion debate as long as they remain celibate.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaPoke
Definitely a tough and emotional issue on both sides. While I generally support the pro life side I also understand the need for abortion to be legal and accessible in some situations. I do not want to see abortion outlawed but I would like to see women understand that along with their reproductive rights there comes the personal responsibility to protect themselves against an unwanted pregnancy.
For those that find this position offensive, my apologies but it's the same position I taught my daughter. I taught her she was solely responsible for protecting herself against an unwanted pregnancy. My reasoning behind this position is a women can not run away in the event of a pregnancy, while a man can. I am not excusing a man's responsibility by any means, I was trying to protect my daughter from some horny, silver tonged bastard disappearing in the event of pregnancy.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Definitely a tough and emotional issue on both sides. While I generally support the pro life side I also understand the need for abortion to be legal and accessible in some situations. I do not want to see abortion outlawed but I would like to see women understand that along with their reproductive rights there comes the personal responsibility to protect themselves against an unwanted pregnancy.
For those that find this position offensive, my apologies but it's the same position I taught my daughter. I taught her she was solely responsible for protecting herself against an unwanted pregnancy. My reasoning behind this position is a women can not run away in the event of a pregnancy, while a man can. I am not excusing a man's responsibility by any means, I was trying to protect my daughter from some horny, silver tonged bastard disappearing in the event of pregnancy.

It is not reproductive rights because abortion stops reproduction, it should be called non-reproductive rights. Similar to "Planned Parenthood" that is a huge death dealer. Planned Parenthood would be having a baby, it should be called "No Parenthood". They have to call something what it is not to cleanse it make it sound ok.

Before RvW became the law of the land there were many abortions daily in the Naval Hospitals I worked in. They called them D&Cs or dusting and cleaning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT