ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam Press Conference

eddie2

Redshirt
May 29, 2001
I anticipate that I was not the only OSU wrestling fan that left GIA yesterday with questions and concerns. Interesting comments by Coach Smith.

Link

Yeah, I thought Coach Smith was a little hard on them, at least on Dean. He mentioned Boyd as the only wrestler acting like he wanted to wrestle but I was impressed with the energy shown by Dean. Now i don't know anything about his opponent but he was very active in the first period. Coach said something like Dean shut it down after the first two take downs but I am pretty sure he had one each in the next two periods. He is speaking directly after the dual but I also understand what he is doing. Keep them hungry to improve.

Sounds like he will be using Reno and possibly the scuffle to determine who may come out of redshirt. I also thought it was odd how slow he was to say Chandler would stay in redshirt. Made me wonder if they were considering him for 174.

May not mean anything, but most all of the true freshman went to Fort Hayes State yesterday except Marsteller and C Rogers. Results I remember: Cannon-DNP, Harding-2nd, Hone-2nd, Magaldo-DNP, Blaylock-DNP, Mann-DNP, Bleese-DNP. Only top four placed. Did not see Weigel or Allen in the results. I assume Weigel is still injured which is too bad since the tournament was in his home town. Jacobe Smith won the 174 bracket.

First time I have watched HCJS presser in probably a decade, damn he paid the price - those ears...

I went to practice on Saturday and Weigel returned to the room last week and just started wrestling all out a few days ago. Tanner Allan stayed in Stillwater. Tanner is down to a slim 250 now. He has lost about 25-30 pounds so far, hitting the weights hard. Back to Weigel, before he was hurt was doing really well in the room.

Even at 174 and being on the light side Chandler Rogers is the best 174 on our team. Hope the other two can step it up in the next month, hate to pull his RS. Our team hasn't looked like we are reloading up to this point.

I agree the Blees results are surprising. Would like be to see Jacobe Smith make his way to stillwater, he didn't have a close result including the finals which he won 11-1.

Hone loss 4-3 in finals and Harding must of got caught to lose that match.
This post was edited on 12/8 4:26 PM by mike tognetti

I was also not impressed with our results for Bedlam. Also the only freshman that impresses me so far this year is Rogers. Yes I don't understand what is going on with Blees and Marsteller. Our class so far is not performing like the Pen. St. class. Nolf it appears from results would beat Marsteller easily. Nickal and Neville also have good results. Again I was raised in ND and had high hope for Blees. Hopefully these freshman turn things around especially Blees and Marsteller.. By the way I checked on 2016 recruits and Iowa has a couple of good ones and Minnesota got the kid who beat Kaid twice last year. Any one know of 2016 recruits we are going after. I know Mike has mentioned Hall and boy would he be a big get at 74. Also I don't think Chandler is big or strong enough this year to do much at 74. 74 is a monster weight class also.

I thought John pretty much summed up my thoughts. We didn't wrestle with much fire. He mentioned Nolan, but I thought Eddie looked good as well.

I don't care who we have to throw out at 33 as long as I never see another effort like the one this bedlam.

I like Dean at 41. He needs to get stronger, but he looks like the guy we wanted, when we recruited him.

Kindig is a known quantity.

Collica looks like most his added weight was lower body. I don't know if it's the weight, If we trained through, or just nerves but Anthony didn't look explosive enough to compete at this weight, at a high level. Just seemed slow footed. Happy to give him a few matches to sort it out though.

Ringer - known quantity.

Rogers looked like he got in his own head. Thinking not wrestling. He seemed to tire as well. Funny he doesn't even look big at 74. If he'll relax and just let go, I think he's plenty talented.

Boyd makes me nervous as all get out. He's super aggressive, and I love that, but a wrestler I talked to last year called him "Bambi on ice" and that's how he strikes me. If he can keep up the aggressive attack, with a little more control, he can go a long ways. He won't be out worked, that is for sure.

Austin looked cautious to me. Might have had something to do with wrestling a kid he's known since middle school. You could tell he wasn't happy with his performance as he ran straight to the locker room and didn't come out. I think he'll be fine.

Marsden looks fitter, earlier, than I am used to. He was never in danger and controlled the match. Wasnt attacking the way you'd want to see, but again ... It's early.

All in all some hope and also some things to be concerned about.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Here is some irony with mentioning Jacobe Smith. I have a memory of Smith wrestling Blees last year like at Fargo or National duals and Blees dominated. I am old so it is possible I am wrong with my memory but I don't think so.

you are correct. but as we all know free style is much different than folk style. jacobe got the first three take downs in that match then bless went on from there to storm him. in folk style im not sure that would have been the case especially giving up early take downs. also jacobe was wresting with spasms in his back. i'm not sure what weight he would be coming to Oklahoma state and i'm not sure if he still has interest in us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbr9k4ltY2I

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT