ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam 2

I think you all are both right, as it stands right now if he isn't the post season option it seems like a wasted year, but there is still the chance it could come in handy later on down the road.

Still not a wasted year, he is gaining experience.
A redshirt for most true freshman is used to gain experience so I can't see how him not wrestling at the big 12s after having his redshirt pulled would not be viewed as a wasted year. what could he possibly gain that he wouldn't have gained in a redshirt other then being in a dual? The Cowboy redshirts have all seen great competition this season. Nick Piccinini has wrestled 4 top 20 guys and beaten 2 of them

A redshirt for most true freshman is used to gain experience so I can't see how him not wrestling at the big 12s after having his redshirt pulled would not be viewed as a wasted year. what could he possibly gain that he wouldn't have gained in a redshirt other then being in a dual? The Cowboy redshirts have all seen great competition this season. Nick Piccinini has wrestled 4 top 20 guys and beaten 2 of
Just found that direct tv 676-5 fsok will cover Bedlam match.

It now show wi be on the Fox Sport Alt channel 441 on Dish @ 7 pm Fri. Good deal can watch PSU v Oh St @ 5 on BTN then Bedlam @ 7.

Wait, what?! They have the rights, but aren't broadcasting live?!?!
Flo has a three-year agreement for the home duals EXCEPT for the Bedlam dual. Fox has those rights. The dual will be televised live on Fox Oklahoma, via Cowboy Sports Properties.

A redshirt for most true freshman is used to gain experience so I can't see how him not wrestling at the big 12s after having his redshirt pulled would not be viewed as a wasted year. what could he possibly gain that he wouldn't have gained in a redshirt other then being in a dual? The Cowboy redshirts have all seen great competition this season. Nick Piccinini has wrestled 4 top 20 guys and beaten 2 of them
Andrew Marsden got a little dinged up so he had a little time off recently, could be ready this weekend if he is in wrestling shape. Don't short change Andrew, you see him come after Cox. He is a gamer, how often do you see a NC scared to go upper body with a true freshman? Andrew has the talent, these matches that he's getting will go along way for next season and this season isn't over yet. John's has faith in Andrew. Somebody talked about his SHP, he has beaten 3 wrestler with a higher SHP then his. Weigel has also made some progress recently, had a real good outing on his last match.

Weigel just needs to get some offense going, he needs to shoot more. I feel he's like a Crutchmer on offense, waiting for the perfect time. I'm not saying taking stupid shots, but get the other guy moving and keep him guessing.

Andrew is kind of known now for going upper body and he's good at it. Most, not all but I'd say majority would not want to go upper body with a wrestler who is known for being good in that position. Especially how explosive that position can be with the impact of quick back points and a higher percentage of being pinned. It's a great skill to have and more kids should train Greco in my opinion. It adds another aspect to their offense. But I see what your saying Mike, Cox was a Fargo champ in Greco in 2011, so why would he be scared to go upper with a true freshman?

Still not a wasted year, he is gaining experience.
Yes, but how much experience did he gain by wrestling only a handful of matches? If John sits him for the rest of the year and he loses his eligibility this year, you've sacrificed this whole year for a handful of matches. Whether he redshirts next year or not is irrelevant to this year. Many kids have redshirted after their true freshman year. It can be very helpful.

But this year won't be. Not if he's not wrestling further than he has. It'll be a waste of a year. I don't see how someone can say it isn't.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I heard that Marsden wanted to come out of redshirt and John agreed to it in the for what it is worth department. I would much prefer to watch Andrew wrestle personally but I trust John will make the right decision for the better scenario for the team.

At the time I was wondering if it was pulled so he could go to the SS. Possibly cost prohibitive to go unattached, plus he gets to wrestle with his brother. Him and Weigel will be overlapped for years to come, if he needs to he will have a chance to red shirt later.

I heard that Marsden wanted to come out of redshirt and John agreed to it in the for what it is worth department. I would much prefer to watch Andrew wrestle personally but I trust John will make the right decision for the better scenario for the team.
Pokefan, just for the record that didn't happen, Andrew never asked for his RS to be pull nor implied that he wanted too. Nor has he asked John if he could coach the team. Micco, Andrew will have some more matches by season end. Most wrestlers and parents will do what ever the Coach thinks about pulling their sons RS, good or bad decision, it's up to the coach.

Pokefan, just for the record that didn't happen, Andrew never asked for his RS to be pull nor implied that he wanted too. Nor has he asked John if he could coach the team. Micco, Andrew will have some more matches by season end. Most wrestlers and parents will do what ever the Coach thinks about pulling their sons RS, good or bad decision, it's up to the coach.
100%, everything you wrote is true.

And that's why if he doesn't let Marsden wrestle more than the few matches he's been able to this season, it's on John. That'd be a waste of a year.

But he's been in this business long enough to know what to do in this situation.

Just to close the loop......Fox is broadcasting the dual in little ol Rhode Island. Crisis averted. All is right with the world. Carry on with redshirt talk.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT