ADVERTISEMENT

Avengers

That's my point. Ironman shouldn't even be a challenge. The cripple I was referencing is when he is Blake. The movies haven't event come close to showing how powerful he can be. Don't know if that changed with this avengers movie. And take his hammer away. It seems like they've turned that into his sole source of power. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can see the point you are going for. However, I have 2 points of discussion related to this...

1). Marvel can't really make him as powerful as you are suggesting. It simply does not translate to movies. If they make him that powerful, they have to make the villains he goes up against just as powerful. That would mean that Hulk, Iron Man don't have a chance against the villain, much less any of the other Avengers. The level of disparity simply becomes too great, and the villains become too powerful.

2). You are so upset about Marvel's portrayal of Thor that you like DC movies better than Marvel? Seriously? Have you seen any of the DC movies? I can see you arguing that the newest Batman trilogy is solid. But... Green Lantern? Man of Steel? Those movies were total crap. Awful, awful movies. Personally, I would put the Batman movies behind almost all of the Marvel movies (all except A-2, IM-2, The Hulk, and ,maybe, the Thor movies). DC hasn't even done a team movie yet. We need to see what they do with Justice League before we can even discuss how DC stacks up against The Avengers.

DC had about 3 or 4 decent titles when I was a kid. Green Lantern or Detective Comics was the best. That Green Lantern movie was such an abomination.

On an unrelated note: The Vision was always easily my favorite Avenger.

Anyway... Would like to see Dare Devil and Spider-Man in Civil War. The registration act isn't really a big deal to most of the Avengers. The whole world knows who a lot of them are anyway, and they have quite a strong support system in place. Star Lord is irrelevant since he's off planet. The X-Men don't exist in the MCU. If the Fantastic Four did their identities are public knowledge anyway.

Anyway, it's the smaller guys the Regiatration Act hits hard. The guys helping out their city's on the street level.

Speaking of the street level aspect... Are we going to see Cage before this? We may have got Spider-Man just in time. We don't have a Wolverine in te MCU. Minor sure how we'll see a New Avengers or underground Avengers team if we don't even have the characters.

-Netflix has a Power Man/Iron Fist project in the works. It is property of Marvel, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting to see Daredevil/PM/IF in any of Marvel's movies. Maybe I am wrong and they will show up in Civil War or A-3.

-Netflix is supposed to do a Defenders series. I don't remember the details, but think that it will include PM/IF and other "smaller guys" like the heroes you are referencing.

-I doubt we ever get a "New Avengers" or "Underground Avengers" team. Assuming that the Marvel formula continues to be successful and they want to keep making movies after Phase 3 has concluded, maybe something like that will happen, but they could also just continue with the heroes they have already shown us and morph the team as actors move on to other projects and they bring new heroes in (like they did at the end of A-2).

The Defenders series is the culmination of the other Marvel Netflix shows and will feature Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. There have been rumors that Dr. Strange would actually debut in one of the Netflix shows before his solo movie, so maybe he would show up in Defenders as well. He's been in that team in the comics before.

I can see the point you are going for. However, I have 2 points of discussion related to this...

1). Marvel can't really make him as powerful as you are suggesting. It simply does not translate to movies. If they make him that powerful, they have to make the villains he goes up against just as powerful. That would mean that Hulk, Iron Man don't have a chance against the villain, much less any of the other Avengers. The level of disparity simply becomes too great, and the villains become too powerful.

2). You are so upset about Marvel's portrayal of Thor that you like DC movies better than Marvel? Seriously? Have you seen any of the DC movies? I can see you arguing that the newest Batman trilogy is solid. But... Green Lantern? Man of Steel? Those movies were total crap. Awful, awful movies. Personally, I would put the Batman movies behind almost all of the Marvel movies (all except A-2, IM-2, The Hulk, and ,maybe, the Thor movies). DC hasn't even done a team movie yet. We need to see what they do with Justice League before we can even discuss how DC stacks up against The Avengers.

Really?

I can give a long, long list of crappy Marvel movies and long list of mediocre Marvel movies, and count on one hand a list of good Marvel movies.

Both Hulk movies were crap, the only good Iron Man movie was the first one. The Thor movies were pretty terrible.

The first Cap movie was ok, the second one was really good.

Avengers 1 was good, the second one -- not so much.

Guardians was the best movie Marvel has made.

DC's movie history is just about as spotty.

The first two Superman movies with Christopher Reeve were good ones (the last two were terrible), Michael Keaton in the first Batman was iconic (the last three progressively got worse). Bale's first two Batman movies were fantastic, the last one was just ok.

Watchmen was solid.

Both Red movies were ok.

The Losers? Meh.

Jonah Hex was a disappointment.

Green Lantern tried to be too much like a Marvel movie and Ryan Reynolds is a superhero movie kiss of death.

The Man of Steel was just ok and that's about it.

Both have more than their share of stinkers and very few really good ones.

That's my point. Ironman shouldn't even be a challenge. The cripple I was referencing is when he is Blake. The movies haven't event come close to showing how powerful he can be. Don't know if that changed with this avengers movie. And take his hammer away. It seems like they've turned that into his sole source of power. Maybe I'm wrong.
This has been a sticking point with me and the new MCU. Even the Inhumans they have introduced in A.O.S. are weekened to the point of bordering on irrelevance. Nobody can even touch The Vision. Thor is a GOD for god's sake. Quake is a total bad ass. They have to take the leash off of these characters. I think they may be saving a lot of this next level stuff for Infinity Wars.

DC in general. Not necessarily the movies. I understand your point about how it wouldn't translate but I think they've low balled it a bit much. To be fair DC has done some dumb stuff with Superman too. I don't like him as much though so I don't complain.

@ThePokewithNoName

You are listing a lot of movies that were made prior to the current Marvel/DC groups. You can't really include the first 2 Superman movies, Keeton's Batman, The first Hulk movie, Jonah Hex, etc. There have been a ton of super hero movies over the years (Ghost Rider, The Punisher, Affleck as Daredevil, George Reeves as Superman, Adam West as Batman, etc. We are currently comparing Marvel Studios movies to the current DC group of movies that is projected to culminate with Justice League.

@ThePokewithNoName

You are listing a lot of movies that were made prior to the current Marvel/DC groups. You can't really include the first 2 Superman movies, Keeton's Batman, The first Hulk movie, Jonah Hex, etc. There have been a ton of super hero movies over the years (Ghost Rider, The Punisher, Affleck as Daredevil, George Reeves as Superman, Adam West as Batman, etc. We are currently comparing Marvel Studios movies to the current DC group of movies that is projected to culminate with Justice League.

Well if that's the rule, you only have one DC movie to work with -- The Man of Steel, which was at best average.

Well if that's the rule, you only have one DC movie to work with -- The Man of Steel, which was at best average.

What about Green Lantern? Why is that one excluded?

If you want to include all superhero movies, you have to throw in the X-Men/Wolverine movies. Some of those stack up pretty nicely against some of the other movies you listed.

The moment they make Thor powerful enough to destroy Iron Man with a thought I'm out and you can have your fan-boy movies.

Until then I will enjoy a Thor character that could actually be relevant to something resembling the real world.

The problem with Thor is if you power him up to crazy levels he becomes Superman and everything becomes crappy because there really is no threat.

I haven't seen Avengers 2 but I've really liked how they've handled Thor for the most part. There has also been a great Thor run in the comics with Jason Aaron.

Hopefully it changes but DC is pretty much a mess right now when it comes to movies and the comics.

What about Green Lantern? Why is that one excluded?

If you want to include all superhero movies, you have to throw in the X-Men/Wolverine movies. Some of those stack up pretty nicely against some of the other movies you listed.

Because it's not going to be a part of the current DC movie universe.

The X-Men movies, for the most part were pretty good. The Wolverine movies? Not so much.

Saw it earlier today at the IMAX. I thought it was great. Needed more Vision though. There were tons of fight sequences, but, really what do expect in a superhero movie about a team? Hell, even Hawkeye wasn't all that annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRedSon
@ThePokewithNoName

I agree you can't compare the older Marvel movies to the ones that started the famous MCU "phase1"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT