ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

I have my doubts about Gillman as HC of RTC being the best option and not just a buddy hire but we will see.

Definitely think with all these young fresh coaches coming in they are going to desperately need someone to handle all the administrative shit etc. it can be really time consuming, distracting and stressful.
Agree. The admin side with all the paperwork is a huge distraction. Even though I'd never want my head coach to be doing that stuff, I believe DT finished his Masters in Education Administration. So he knows the deal there, and whoever he hires for that position won't be able to blow smoke by him.

For all the talk about if DT is keeping Daton around. Isn’t it Daton’s choice where he chooses to train and live? If he wants to continue to train at the CWCRTC he can regardless of who the head coach is, correct? He isn’t on the current staff, unless he was made a graduate assistant recently. He might still be enrolled at the university, but if he is out of eligibility it shouldn’t matter.
On some level sure but the high end RTC guys are getting paid. It is up to Taylor how that money gets spent.

I have my doubts about Gillman as HC of RTC being the best option and not just a buddy hire but we will see.

Definitely think with all these young fresh coaches coming in they are going to desperately need someone to handle all the administrative shit etc. it can be really time consuming, distracting and stressful.
Buddy hire?!

World champ
Olympic bronze

Buddy hire?! Come on man. Don’t forget about the system DT came from. Every coach on staff at PSU wrestles pretty much everyday. (Cody not as much)

And it’s a true collaboration with regards to “coaching” - everyone contributes to practice plans, technique, one on ones.

Last edited:
Does Kennedy leaving PSU open up the portal for some of their wrestlers or is that only if Cael left?

Reactions: AtownPoke
The Mayfield comparison works great...he's the type of guy you love if he's on your side, but hate if he's on the other side.
Not for me, I would have still hated mayfield if he were here, just still rooted for the team. Same way I did when Chubb Hubbard was here.

Reactions: cearle462
Both these graduated HS 12-15 years ago, but from what I recall, we nearly signed David Taylor twice (once when he signed with Cael at ISU and once when he opened up his recruitment after Cael left for PSU). The rumor was we led for Gilman at some point during his recruitment out of HS too.

Both these graduated HS 12-15 years ago, but from what I recall, we nearly signed David Taylor twice (once when he signed with Cael at ISU and once when he opened up his recruitment after Cael left for PSU). The rumor was we led for Gilman at some point during his recruitment out of HS too.
A buddy of mine hosted DT on his visit and swears that we had his commitment until another assistant with a more abrasive approach told he and his family that they weren't good enough to wear orange

If this is true, I feel even better about the hire. The admin side of things is real and can be a real pain.
From PSU website written in 2014 I believe:

3X ALL-AM, `12 HODGE WINNER
Three-time All-American David Taylor, one of the most decorated wrestlers in Penn State grappling history, carries a national title and a Hodge Trophy with him into his final year as a Nittany Lion. Taylor, who is coming off an outstanding freestyle summer, making both the U.S. National Freestyle Team (74 kg) and the World University Games Team (74 kg), will be looking to become a four-time All-American and win his second NCAA title. Taylor, who is a three-time first team NWCA Academic All-American and Academic All-Big Ten pick, has already earned his degree and is enrolled in graduate school this year. The Nittany Lion has never lost to a Big Ten foe (44-0) and is currently chasing Penn State[apos]s all-time pins record. Parents: Kathy and Dave Taylor -- `13 Grad: RPTM/Business; Pursuing Masters[apos] in Education Administration.

I was born and raised in Oklahoma, but Iowa is a great state to live in. Even if I do have to put up with Hawkeye fans hating on my Cowboy Wrestling!

I don’t disagree and I was being a tiny bit facetious. But on the serious side, a lot of people I grew up with have never lived anywhere outside of Iowa and some rarely even travel elsewhere.

I wouldn’t mind living there now but a lot of people there are a bit insular, primarily in the smaller communities.

Reactions: AtownPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT