ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

Nice work.
Thanks but not my work. It comes across as believable and jives with other info leaking out. For example, some may ask why Dake is just an assistant. Another guy who knows Dake said he just wants to coach. He wants zero responsibility with administration. He just wants to teach. So that makes sense to me. You can't beat Dake's work ethic and mental side and defensive skill set.

Last edited:
As long as when we get to Nationals, we have more wrestlers in the Finals and we focus on winning matches with Bonus points instead of 3-2 victories, I’ll be ECSTATIC!! Somehow, I get the feeling I’m gonna be ECSTATIC!! And that makes me ECSTATIC about this hire!!! I’m done calling CW the “P” word as an AD! Dude is trying his damndest to make us the best we can be in all Sports and what more can you ask of the man? You all have me PUMPED about this hire!!! Go Pokes!!! Ready for this Team to be “Taylor Made”, to steal a line from another sport…
I've seen you ECSTATIC before and I'm concerned for other people's safety!!😀
I feel the same way, brother.

Thanks but not my work. It comes across as believable and jives with other info leaking out. For example, some may ask why Dake is just an assistant. Another guy who knows Dake said he just wants to coach. He wants zero responsibility with administration or organizing practices. He just wants to teach. So that makes sense to me. You can't beat Dake's work ethic and mental side.
The only downside to all of that is that we’ll have Dake good and warmed up for Iowa. I want Iowa to fall hard.

What about Steiber? Any chance DT goes after him as a coach? I think is on staff for Ryan and he has to be DTs oldest friend

Last edited:
That was my drum beating as well. It got very frustrating
I remember your posts! I think anyone blaming a lack of RTC initiative on NCAA legalities is BS. There is nothing legally wrong with it as long as you construct a firewall between the two. The NLWC has been operating as a quasi extension of PSU's program for 15 years now. I think the concept is here to stay at this point.

It's always been about money and the coaching staff wanting to put forth that kind of effort. I'm 60, and my energy level to build businesses up from the ground was much greater when I was in my 30s.

The only downside to all of that is that we’ll have Dake good and warmed up for Iowa. I want Iowa to fall hard.
My understanding (can always change) is that Dake doesn't want to be a head coach. Maybe Dake looks at Casey Cunningham and thinks he has the perfect life. Makes great coin to teach champions in college and gets to associate with freestyle events around the world. Honestly, Cunningham has a great gig. No wonder he turned down OSU.

It seems more likely Gilman will be lined up for Iowa after a massively successful run at Oklahoma State.
Apparently Gilman burned a couple big bridges on his way out of Iowa. Besides, the Iowa job is Spencer Lee's if he wants it. That said, the timing may be off. If Spencer competes for another couple cycles, the Iowa faithful won't wait that long, especially if you guys take off under DT. The most stressed fan base right now is Iowa.

I can see Iowa bring Spencer on as a part time coach next year to soothe the fanbase, and after the 2028 Olympics, he either joins the staff full time or becomes head coach. Brands contract ends in 2029.

So some of you may remember me coming on here last Friday night or early Saturday giving early congrats on DT due to a post from an insider on the PSU forum. After that, other insiders like Mineo said no way. Well it seems like there was some sort of agreement last Friday but DT got cold feet about something it seems on Sunday. Slowly the process has leaked and that original insider was correct to a degree. He knew something and has some level of access to info. Anyway, all that to say that this same insider had some info he posted last night. Take it as a starting point in any discussion.

"dake will be in OK state at the tune of a mid 6 figure salary. After the Olympics Dake is going"

"Brand new facility coming to OK state 18 million dollars in the works"

"Dude from Paycom put up 10million dollar endowment for RTC"

"Jimmy Kennedy will be Assistant head coach, Dake will be the assistant and 1 more still not named (Molinaro most likely)."

"Gilman is HC of the RTC"

"1.5 mil split to the assistants. David over 7 figures"
This is also what I’m hearing.

So some of you may remember me coming on here last Friday night or early Saturday giving early congrats on DT due to a post from an insider on the PSU forum. After that, other insiders like Mineo said no way. Well it seems like there was some sort of agreement last Friday but DT got cold feet about something it seems on Sunday. Slowly the process has leaked and that original insider was correct to a degree. He knew something and has some level of access to info. Anyway, all that to say that this same insider had some info he posted last night. Take it as a starting point in any discussion.

"dake will be in OK state at the tune of a mid 6 figure salary. After the Olympics Dake is going"

"Jimmy Kennedy will be Assistant head coach, Dake will be the assistant and 1 more still not named (Molinaro most likely)."

For context from OK St side, we had received some info and did some research resulting in only one option for our HC job. That’s why we doubled down and backed the money truck up for DT.

I don't know David's relationship with Logan, but it comes across that Dake may be one of his closest friends if not his best friend.
I’m just going off that podcast that was posted. He said their dad’s were friends and they were training / traveling together frequently from the time they were 7 or 8 up to college.

So David outlined his vision and you guys found it highly possible to achieve with proper funding...

I think you made the right choice.
I wonder if DT's vision included outreach clinics to high schools in OK to improve the foundation of wrestling in the state. You need strong high school wrestling locally to sustain a college program's stability long term.

I wonder if DT's vision included outreach clinics to high schools in OK to improve the foundation of wrestling in the state. You need strong high school wrestling locally to sustain a college program's stability long term.
My hope is that Texas continues its rapid expansion of wrestling. California and Texas could be our recruiting hot beds compared to the advantage of the Midwest for Penn State. Kids that want to go to the Olympics will go anywhere though if they think it can get them on a future podium.

So maybe Kennedy is lightweight coach with Dake as upperweight coach. I've also heard Eric Thompson's name. If you have Kennedy and Dake in the room, do you really need Molinaro? Someone needs to be Director of Operations. I saw that Mark Hall just interviewed for that very position at Oklahoma.

What I like about these names if true is that they aren't from one school. PSU, Illinois, Cornell, and Iowa. That's a very nice cross section of experience with different styles of coaching and technique.
All from different school except not one from OK State. If Fix is staying maybe he’s that guy for them.

Wow, i literally was just thinking that very same thing. For there to be a sustainable future, there must be a massive grassroots movement that is much more organized than what we have now.

P4P, we’re right there with PA 😊

And, were directly responsible for the development of wrestling in AR.

All from different school except not one from OK State. If Fix is staying maybe he’s that guy for them.I hear you and believe Fix stays

All from different school except not one from OK State. If Fix is staying maybe he’s that guy for them.
I hear you and believe Fix stays. That said, Cael came to PSU and only the trainer was left on staff. Winning cured a lack of PSU guys. Now Cael and Casey and Cody are PSU through and through.

Wow, i literally was just thinking that very same thing. For there to be a sustainable future, there must be a massive grassroots movement that is much more organized than what we have now.
What better way to build relationships with high school coaches than to lend an hour of your time with a high school team? That's an hour a high school kid will never forget. Each coach does one a month on average and you've now hit 50 high schools each year. The little things that grow big things.

I don't think it requires a massive amount of time. Just a commitment.

lol it’s been what excited me the most about the hire from the beginning. I want OK to be a factory

And Luckily for us… so does Chad Richison

lol it’s been what excited me the most about the hire from the beginning. I want OK to be a factory

And Luckily for us… so does Chad Richison
Fun fact: He wouldn’t get involved if we didn’t do that search committee to find the best canditate. He wasn’t writing checks for small time. If we wanted to be at the top again then he was interested. So everyone saying how could this happen to CS, but when you got a chance to have the financial support you ALWAYS wanted and get David Taylor how the hell do you say no thanks.

DT had 15 years to watch Cael build the vertical structure it is today:

NLWC
|
PSU
|
Elite Clubs
|
High Schools

Like any other business, it's all about relationship building. I imagine DT's plan is something similar, and with his cache, I think he can pull it off. And it's not just one level at a time. Kids from HS or elite clubs can get access to RTC members too as part of community outreach. Crazy smart on Cael's part.

Talking about Dake and just wanting to coach but not be a HC, I heard Ben Askren say the exact same thing the other. Some folks just like the work and not the head aches that come with having others to answer to (admin, boosters, etc).

Looking forward to 2:30 today.

Talking about Dake and just wanting to coach but not be a HC, I heard Ben Askren say the exact same thing the other. Some folks just like the work and not the head aches that come with having others to answer to (admin, boosters, etc).

Looking forward to 2:30 today.
Wonder if he will announce any coaching hires. Might not be the time due to it not being many osu guys lol.

Reactions: Chasingthirty-five

If all that is true. I’m not sure I’ve ever been so excited about the future of an OSU sport.

For all the talk about if DT is keeping Daton around. Isn’t it Daton’s choice where he chooses to train and live? If he wants to continue to train at the CWCRTC he can regardless of who the head coach is, correct? He isn’t on the current staff, unless he was made a graduate assistant recently. He might still be enrolled at the university, but if he is out of eligibility it shouldn’t matter.

For all the talk about if DT is keeping Daton around. Isn’t it Daton’s choice where he chooses to train and live? If he wants to continue to train at the CWCRTC he can regardless of who the head coach is, correct? He isn’t on the current staff, unless he was made a graduate assistant recently. He might still be enrolled at the university, but if he is out of eligibility it shouldn’t matter.

Daton is all in. Wants to stay as athlete. He's going to get even better. Gilman, Kennedy and whoever else DT brings in.

I have my doubts about Gillman as HC of RTC being the best option and not just a buddy hire but we will see.

Definitely think with all these young fresh coaches coming in they are going to desperately need someone to handle all the administrative shit etc. it can be really time consuming, distracting and stressful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT