ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona State senior won't be able to graduate because of protests

She will wind up at your local McDonald's.

A few like her already do. Was in a rush Friday and was not going to make it home for dinner time so I stopped by McDonalds and got a Big Mac fries and coke, first time I have eaten there in 7 months. Fries were fresh and hot but the Big Mac has shrunk considerably, they are tiny now, it was also not even warm and the bun on the bottom was stale and hard. Hard to figure out as the drive thru line was a mile long.

A few like her already do. Was in a rush Friday and was not going to make it home for dinner time so I stopped by McDonalds and got a Big Mac fries and coke, first time I have eaten there in 7 months. Fries were fresh and hot but the Big Mac has shrunk considerably, they are tiny now, it was also not even warm and the bun on the bottom was stale and hard. Hard to figure out as the drive thru line was a mile long.
Ain't eat MacDonald's in 30 years since my son grown up.

I guess I don't understand all the belly aching over these graduation ceremonies. I didn't attend my graduation ceremony. As soon as finals were over, I hopped on a plane and spent the summer with my cousin in West Germany. Picked up my diploma when I got home. One of the best things I ever did. Zero regrets missing that goofy ceremony. Trust me, kids, you'll live.

I guess I don't understand all the belly aching over these graduation ceremonies. I didn't attend my graduation ceremony. As soon as finals were over, I hopped on a plane and spent the summer with my cousin in West Germany. Picked up my diploma when I got home. One of the best things I ever did. Zero regrets missing that goofy ceremony. Trust me, kids, you'll live.
You chose to do that. Some want to have a graduation and they have been cancelled because of idiots. I don’t get your point.

Cramps, or delusions of sexuality? Be honest.

• Haha
Reactions: AC2020
Reread my first and last sentence. If missing your graduation ceremony is the worst thing that's ever happened to you, count your blessings. It's a goofy ceremony.

When my oldest son graduated, the ceremony took forever to get started. They were way behind the clock. People were getting restless. A woman in back of me asked "What is taking so long? They're so unorganized." Her son, about 17 or 18 years old, said, "What do you expect Mom? They're educators."

I smiled for the first time all day, turned to the young man with thumbs up and told him, "You're going to go far in life".

It's not goofy if your speakers are Gov. David Hall (B.S.) and Pres. Nixon (M.S.).
That actually would have been pretty cool. I remember attending a ceremony with Gov. George Nigh talking about ‘the most important things I learned in life, I learned in Kindergarten. Always flush!”

• Haha
Reactions: AC2020
I was the first person in my family to get a college degree. I have an older brother and sister. My brother did great without a degree and retired at 55. My sister has had a ton of medical issues all of her life. No one in my parents immediate family obtained a college degree. On one side of the family was a large family farm in Michigan, the other side hardworking blue collar folks that was a fireman, worked at Sears, and worked at the Western Electric Hawthorne plant in Chicago. My grandparents legally immigrated from Ireland. My parents were raised thru the Great Depression and my dad fought in WW2 in the Philippines and my dad lost a brother in the Philippines.

It was a BFD for my parents and my only grandparent still alive (mom on my dad’s side) seeing me get my degree in old Gallagher Hall.

It was not a ceremony that was about me, but my parents and grandma. It was dream come true for them. My grandma could hardly believe I did it. She was 98.

I always had excellent grades and I expected to get a college degree. I gained a tremendous appreciation obtaining my degree after seeing the reaction of my parents and grandma. Humbled me and made me very thankful.

I was the first person in my family to get a college degree. I have an older brother and sister. My brother did great without a degree and retired at 55. My sister has had a ton of medical issues all of her life. No one in my parents immediate family obtained a college degree. On one side of the family was a large family farm in Michigan, the other side hardworking blue collar folks that was a fireman, worked at Sears, and worked at the Western Electric Hawthorne plant in Chicago. My grandparents legally immigrated from Ireland. My parents were raised thru the Great Depression and my dad fought in WW2 in the Philippines and my dad lost a brother in the Philippines.

It was a BFD for my parents and my only grandparent still alive (mom on my dad’s side) seeing me get my degree in old Gallagher Hall.

It was not a ceremony that was about me, but my parents and grandma. It was dream come true for them. My grandma could hardly believe I did it. She was 98.

I always had excellent grades and I expected to get a college degree. I gained a tremendous appreciation obtaining my degree after seeing the reaction of my parents and grandma. Humbled me and made me very thankful.
A younger brother earned a degree from Wichita State University. He then attended and graduated from a trade school as a machinist. He's retired now after his very lucrative career as a machinist. He and his RN spouse sent 5 daughters to OU where all 5 graduated.

I have no idea what his major was at Wichita State.

Thanks for writing this up.
My parents married one Christmas when Dad was on leave ('41?). He shipped out to the Aleutians, Solomans, Truk and then spent 2 years in The Philippines. He didn't speak of the war until on his deathbed since he didn't want to bring the horrors home to us. He also vowed to never leave the US again. They were both from Seminole County and moved to Stillwater where dad got a 2 year construction degree on the GI Bill - first degree in the family - and to raise their family so we could all attend Oklahoma State if we were university inclined.

My parents never ever gave us an option of if we would go to OSU, only an option as to what we would study. After graduating with a couple engineering degrees, I haven't lived in Oklahoma since (but do have a lifetime hunt/fish license) having found myself getting pulled across the country. You guys are kind of a link back home. If any of you have birds, I'll show you my dad's old 20 gauge that he carried over Payne county.

I have always been in awe of how my parents conspired to get us all into college. I'm so grateful for the opportunities they created for me in my life. The ceremonies weren't just for me, but for the entire family.

My parents married one Christmas when Dad was on leave ('41?). He shipped out to the Aleutians, Solomans, Truk and then spent 2 years in The Philippines. He didn't speak of the war until on his deathbed since he didn't want to bring the horrors home to us. He also vowed to never leave the US again. They were both from Seminole County and moved to Stillwater where dad got a 2 year construction degree on the GI Bill - first degree in the family - and to raise their family so we could all attend Oklahoma State if we were university inclined.

My parents never ever gave us an option of if we would go to OSU, only an option as to what we would study. After graduating with a couple engineering degrees, I haven't lived in Oklahoma since (but do have a lifetime hunt/fish license) having found myself getting pulled across the country. You guys are kind of a link back home. If any of you have birds, I'll show you my dad's old 20 gauge that he carried over Payne county.

I have always been in awe of how my parents conspired to get us all into college. I'm so grateful for the opportunities they created for me in my life. The ceremonies weren't just for me, but for the entire family.
We should talk one day. My dad told me for one night, and one night only all the shit that happened in the Philippines. There is a good reason they don’t talk about it.

An old Air Force buddy told me he listened to the giant KOMA 1520 from OKC while stationed in the Aleution Islands. I've listened to KOMA at Pearl Harbor.

We should talk one day. My dad told me for one night, and one night only all the shit that happened in the Philippines. There is a good reason they don’t talk about it.

And out of honor, I've never shared his stories with anyone else. We would hunt for days with shotguns and shoot the P out of Pepsi cans at 50 yards with the 22, but he never touched a high powered rifle after he got home. I've still got a Nambu and a Japanese ammo tin that he brought back.

One fun story is Dad would buy canned lychees and fresh coconuts on the very rare occasion that they got a few in at Safeway. Always a unique treat. He always drank quinine sodas during mosquito season. LOL

And out of honor, I've never shared his stories with anyone else. We would hunt for days with shotguns and shoot the P out of Pepsi cans at 50 yards with the 22, but he never touched a high powered rifle after he got home. I've still got a Nambu and a Japanese ammo tin that he brought back.

One fun story is Dad would buy canned lychees and fresh coconuts on the very rare occasion that they got a few in at Safeway. Always a unique treat. He always drank quinine sodas during mosquito season. LOL
My dad I sensed wanted people to know what happened, was just hard to talk about it. I think it helped him to talk about it. He gave me some advice on how to behave in a war. Never talked about it again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT