ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have remote video surveillance in shop/barn/business?

Orange Jennyslipper

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2005
I live in the country and have a couple of shop buildings with lots of tools and equipment I can't afford to lose. I'd like to install a remote camera system that would allow me to see a live view inside and outside the shops on my iphone. I would also like an alarm on my phone if a motion detector inside the building goes off.

Is there some kind of app that would let me do that without having an internet connection in the shops? I would have to pay monthly for wireless internet service in both shops.

Is there a self-install brand that anyone has used and could recommend, or do I need to call a security service?

There are so many systems advertised online but features and benefits are filled with jargon I'm not familiar with and can't really tell what I would be buying. Any help would be great, thanks.

Our home security system is all wireless and the signal uses a "cell phone" signal when dialing out for police/fire/call center from the main alarm box. No idea how it would work with live video feed...would probably need Internet though for that.

Do you have internet access at the shop? I ran a series of Foscam IP cameras at my last shop and was very happy with them. app was easy and simple to use. I am waiting on internet service at the new place before I set it up again ..

I thought you were feeling the Bern and would therefore be quite okay with someone taking your stuff.

@AggiesBoy
I don't think what you are looking for is possible without an internet connection. You might be able to get by without WiFi if you were to connect to the internet via a land line, but you would have to run wires to the cameras and motion sensors.

If I were you, I would call a reputable security company (company that installs home/business alarm/monitoring systems) in the nearest city, and see if they can help you out.

I think I've found a solution with some farm surveillance companies (duh!). I kept looking at home and commercial systems which needed both electricity and Internet. I have juice but no net and want to avoid additional monthly charges if I can.

Today I found some systems which provide wireless wifi from your router at home to a remote barn camera system and back. So far these systems seem to need line-of-sight for the wireless path, but think I'm on to something. You buy the hardware, install it, and you're done. I hope.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I thought you were feeling the Bern and would therefore be quite okay with someone taking your stuff.

The only Bern I feel is from eating flaming cabbage. Or bumping into you somewhere.

I made a batch for Super Bowl party and this guy's wife was eating it like vanilla pudding. "I love really hot stuff," she says. I told her she needed to slow down. I bet she knows that now.

Last edited:
The only Bern I feel is from eating flaming cabbage. Or bumping into you somewhere.

I made a batch for Super Bowl party and this guy's wife was eating it like vanilla pudding. "I love really hot stuff," she says. I told her she needed to slow down. I bet she knows that now.

Yes. You should really explain to people that it is TWICE flaming cabbage ... Once going down ... Once going out.

Reactions: Orange Jennyslipper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT