ADVERTISEMENT

Any other farmers having Geese problems?

bpollard

All-Big12
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2004
This year is especially bad. They can absolutely wipe out acres of wheat or rye pasture within days. I shoot into the damn things everyday on several different places. It's nothing to see a thousand or more in a bunch.

Originally posted by mad4osu:
electronic calls and snow on the ground even the odds!

We've done it in SE Colorado with snows and in SE Arkansas on Ross and Specks with flocks of 30-75K birds flying in the area only to have them hit fields 100 yards away. They don't really respond to calls and don't decoy very well either.

What is frustrating is the times when we've got into them, we'll kill 100+ with 3-4 guys, and you realize the futility.

Did you have HUGE decoy spreads out? That is an absolute must to snow goose hunt. Electronic calls, snow, and a huge decoy spread. Really crappy overcast weather helps too. We have killed literally thousands of them, but the conditions have to be right.

We have snows and every other kind. They seem to be inter-breeding, but my goodness. The population is out of control. Where is Game management when you need them. I think the elimination of lead shot and lack of hunter interest has something to do with it.

Can you shoot them with a Taurus Judge?
wink.gif

Make them taste like duck and I'll kill my share. Either that or legalize wanton waste of geese.

Originally posted by mad4osu:
Did you have HUGE decoy spreads out? That is an absolute must to snow goose hunt. Electronic calls, snow, and a huge decoy spread. Really crappy overcast weather helps too. We have killed literally thousands of them, but the conditions have to be right.

Yeah. Huge would be a good description.

I have some family that lives near El Campo TX. That place literally crawls with snow geese and hunters. By far the best goose hunting that I have ever seen. Have hunted from there down to the coast in various places. Its been several years since I have gone down there.

If you are still having a problem I think my son, Clint Pollard, might be able to help you out. His number is 918-504-8004.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT