ADVERTISEMENT

Anei

the bowler

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
There has been some talk in the last week or so about the chances of Anei having a big soph year and potentially having the chance to leave for the NBA. I made the comment that the Houston Rockets 6-10 240 Clint Capella was a good comparison to the 6-10 230 Anei. Anei was more like 220 when he arrived in Houston as a 19 year old rookie. I looked up Capella's wingspan and it shows 7ft 5. Seven inches longer than his height. I have heard that Anei's wingspan is 7-0, which is pretty pedestrian, average, for a 6-10 player. They mention that "7-0 wingspan" during the TV games and I've read the same in the newspaper articles as well. I am wondering if that is incorrect because he always looks very long to me. I've even heard the term "ridiculously long" by someone close to OSU---might have been Boynton.

So today I checked out the three straight "1-and-done" centers from UT:
Jaxson Hayes was picked #8 in the draft this Thursday night. He averaged only 10 points, 5 rebs, and 2.2 blocks--not all that much more than Anei this season. But Jaxon is 6-11 with a 7-3 1/2 wingspan. (and only became "tall" by his jr year in high school--didn't start for his high school team until his senior year)

Jared Allen was the #22 pick two years ago, from UT. He's the one with the big fro that reminds me of former ABA star Artis Gilmore--for you older fans. He is 6-11, 235 (now), and has a 7-5 1/2 wingspan.

Mo Bomba was 7-0 and 220 at UT. He was the #6 pick a year ago. He has a crazy 7-10 wingspan.

So maybe height/wingspan does not mean that much if you can block 3-4 shots a game but the NBA potential for a center is measured so much on height, length/wingspan, etc, and Anei seems to be a bit "short" on the wingspan.

By the way, the 6-9 Kalib Boone has been said to also have a "7-0" wingspan. Again, he looks a little longer than that to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News