ADVERTISEMENT

An NIL discussion from the Ohio State wrestling forum

I’m not sure how much I can add to the discussion. They covered it all. It takes a special coach, a special program or just a “special” person to pump money into wrestling over the other revenue sports. I think people are leaning on NIL a little too much to build their rosters through quick fixes but it will absolutely be a MAJOR ingredient in every single NC level team going forward.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
The guy mentioning roster caps was interesting. I do think we are headed that direction. It’s better for the sport for PSU to not have AA guys on their 3-4 deep lol.

Also, Ohio state should be able to find donors to fill a need. Can they find someone to shell out millions all at once idk, but their fan base for the school is the biggest in the country by a long shot. So saying they can’t spend like the others do doesn’t make sense to me.

The guy mentioning roster caps was interesting. I do think we are headed that direction. It’s better for the sport for PSU to not have AA guys on their 3-4 deep lol.

Also, Ohio state should be able to find donors to fill a need. Can they find someone to shell out millions all at once idk, but their fan base for the school is the biggest in the country by a long shot. So saying they can’t spend like the others do doesn’t make sense to me.
Supposedly the NCAA is moving away from scholarship limits to roster limits per sport with a max spend per school of $20-22M spread out among all sports. That said, the brainiacs in the NCAA seem to think that Title IX won't be a problem. I don't have an issue with the roster limits but I doubt schools will want to give womens sports 50% of the financial pie. This is just going to open up the equality issue, and that can only hurt Olympic sports. In 20-30 years, we might become a booster-only financed club sport.

Supposedly the NCAA is moving away from scholarship limits to roster limits per sport with a max spend per school of $20-22M spread out among all sports. That said, the brainiacs in the NCAA seem to think that Title IX won't be a problem. I don't have an issue with the roster limits but I doubt schools will want to give womens sports 50% of the financial pie. This is just going to open up the equality issue, and that can only hurt Olympic sports. In 20-30 years, we might become a booster-only financed club sport.
What does the 20m include? Tuition and board? “Pay”?

How would they keep track of that? Self report? Lol

Oklahoma state tuition and board less compared to most big10 schools I would wager. Does that mean we can afford more athletes. What about scholarship? How is that factored in?

This opens up a way bigger can of worms IMO

What does the 20m include? Tuition and board? “Pay”?

How would they keep track of that? Self report? Lol

Oklahoma state tuition and board less compared to most big10 schools I would wager. Does that mean we can afford more athletes. What about scholarship? How is that factored in?

This opens up a way bigger can of worms IMO
Yeah, a way bigger can of worms. That $20-22M is supposed to cover everything. Tuition. Board. Pay. Is NIL part of that pot or is it a separate revenue stream for athletes? I could see this being more of a Wild West than NIL is.

Reactions: Chasingthirty-five
Out of state tuition, room, and board next year is estimated at 42k. Let’s assume the school sponsored scholarships count towards the 20m. That means OSU can have 476 total across the board athletes getting money (again basing this off out of state).

PSU - 380 athletes
Ohio st - 365
UGA - 483
Texas - 317
USC - 210

Obviously I doubt this it how it works but an interesting look at why this won’t work too. I do believe that if the university can now pay the athletes as employees you have to do away with athletic scholarship. A lot of these kids should be able to get academic scholarships though and I guess those who can’t just cost the school more?

I use this site for all thing Ohio State. They use real names and are even handed when it comes to opinions. This thread included a ton of internal discussion about NIL and the lay of the land in wrestling from the Ohio State POV. It's a great read, and I'd love to get your opinions on it.
I read as many posts as I could, but there is a limit to how many "woe be us" Buckeye posts I can handle.
Feldman has not been offered anything from PSU after his Ohio State signing.
Ohio St as an athletic department has more NIL athletes receiving more NIL money than any other school in the country. Believing the wrestling program is being treated like the in-house red-headed step child and crying poor mouth is a bit much.

I read as many posts as I could, but there is a limit to how many "woe be us" Buckeye posts I can handle.
Feldman has not been offered anything from PSU after his Ohio State signing.
Ohio St as an athletic department has more NIL athletes receiving more NIL money than any other school in the country. Believing the wrestling program is being treated like the in-house red-headed step child and crying poor mouth is a bit much.
I agree with everything you wrote. I was speaking more to the future of the sport with regard to NIL and the new paradigm in collegiate athletics. I certainly think that forum, like all others, has a few kooks.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT