ADVERTISEMENT

An interview with Lou Rosselli about his OU job

Sounds like Lou thinks he has most things in place to be successful. I think the big thing that he underestimates in the number of great high school wrestlers come from the upper Midwest.

Yea.. I hope he his successful. I gotta think recruiting will be his biggest adjustment. Not sure how much of that he actually did at Ohio State. But he has been around a while for sure. It will certainly take 3-5 years to see a big improvement in my opinion. Definitely an upgrade!!!!

What's the reason he wants out so bad? Is Lightner staying on as coach? Any word yet on who else is coming in to coach? That's not good for Lou if he still wants out of OU.

Flo said lightner was staying and Keith Gavin is supposed to be accepting an assistant job there soon. I would like to know why Milhof would still want out with a staff like this

Thanks Cowboyalum! That's good to hear about Gavin if true and seems to align with what LR said in the interview about RTC's and being a one stop shop for future Sooner grapplers with World/Olympic aspirations. I thought they said Robie was going so I'll wait to see if its true about Gavin. I understand John Smith and Okie St. have much more influence not only in the state, but nationally with recruiting, but Rosselli should make an impact to get some top guys that can compete right away. How long will Smith coach for? It seems like he has been at it for twenty years or so. Are the Sooners funded like the Cowboys?

Thanks Cowboyalum! That's good to hear about Gavin if true and seems to align with what LR said in the interview about RTC's and being a one stop shop for future Sooner grapplers with World/Olympic aspirations. I thought they said Robie was going so I'll wait to see if its true about Gavin. I understand John Smith and Okie St. have much more influence not only in the state, but nationally with recruiting, but Rosselli should make an impact to get some top guys that can compete right away. How long will Smith coach for? It seems like he has been at it for twenty years or so. Are the Sooners funded like the Cowboys?
Vito, he has coached the Cowboys for 25 years. I believe and hope he will coach at least another 10 years or more.

I believe Robie turned it down, liked the VT situation better

Heard they denied milhoffs transfer appeal. Also heard that Rosselli was in favor of release but Leonard convinced the committee. Might be Lous first indication that this ain't HIS program. Whoops!!!!

Heard they denied milhoffs transfer appeal. Also heard that Rosselli was in favor of release but Leonard convinced the committee. Might be Lous first indication that this ain't HIS program. Whoops!!!!
Roselli being in favor of the release tells me he just wants what's best for the guy. You can't be your best when you're not happy. Definitely not looking good for OU if they won't grant him that courtesy. Lou is a good coach, hope they allow him to run that program how he sees fit

Reactions: diehard1413
Sounds like Lou maybe figuring out he ain't the man in charge. Word is he told Leonard and Milhoff he would support the transfer but Leonard over ruled him and went in and basically strong armed the committee. Milhoff told the committee he was unhappy and all the coaches but one remained from his signing and lost trust in the program with the recent events. There is still even more to it. If the coach approves the release why would Jason Leonard push to keep a kid who clearly wants to leave. Now we are understanding why the OU program is where it is. Hopefully recruits take notice of this.

Man I think it's a huge mistake to not let the kid go. Are you building for a better team next year, or are you trying to build a program for consistent achievement? Coaches will certainly take notice of this.

Sounds like Lou maybe figuring out he ain't the man in charge. Word is he told Leonard and Milhoff he would support the transfer but Leonard over ruled him and went in and basically strong armed the committee. Milhoff told the committee he was unhappy and all the coaches but one remained from his signing and lost trust in the program with the recent events. There is still even more to it. If the coach approves the release why would Jason Leonard push to keep a kid who clearly wants to leave. Now we are understanding why the OU program is where it is. Hopefully recruits take notice of this.
And why the fark would Jason Leonard (Executive Director for Compliance) want to make Millhof's life miserable so badly?

And why the fark would Jason Leonard (Executive Director for Compliance) want to make Millhof's life miserable so badly?
Just very bad pub for a program needing a turn around and no gain. I believe Roselli is a great choice to turn around the program. Leonard just shows he is a swooner through and through.

Yes!!! Robie was all but finalized. Made a great offer to him but he decided to stray at VT. After meeting with assist ad and others guess he was not impressed. Gotta think Lightner may of been a filler this late in game. If "they" let Lou have full control he will do great!!

Yes!!! Robie was all but finalized. Made a great offer to him but he decided to stray at VT. After meeting with assist ad and others guess he was not impressed. Gotta think Lightner may of been a filler this late in game. If "they" let Lou have full control he will do great!!
I'm not sure it's "he was not impressed". A lot of things go into a decision for a non-head coaching job that's basically a lateral transfer for an assistants position. Uprooting family, selling a home, where your family and extended family are...and literally dozens more. He might very well have been impressed, but likes where he's at.

Your info has been top notch. But I think you're possibly reading too much into that.

Let me put it this way.... He was less then impressed with a particular someone at the house they met at and it wasn't Lou he was not impressed with!!! Seems to be an anchor slowing this ship down!!! I won't post it if im not sure!!! Trust me!!! But you are right....it is a big move!!!

Let me put it this way.... He was less then impressed with a particular someone at the house they met at and it wasn't Lou he was not impressed with!!! Seems to be an anchor slowing this ship down!!! I won't post it if im not sure!!! Trust me!!! But you are right....it is a big move!!!
I trust you. Like I said, you've been pretty spot on as far as I can tell. Thanks for adding the additional info.

I can't figure out why an Asst. AD (and a Perry boy at that) would want to give the University that reputation. The kid apparently doesn't want to be there, for whatever reason, and denying the release will do no one any good. Comes off as vindictive and a big crybaby, especially if the coach was in favor of granting..

I can't figure out why an Asst. AD (and a Perry boy at that) would want to give the University that reputation. The kid apparently doesn't want to be there, for whatever reason, and denying the release will do no one any good. Comes off as vindictive and a big crybaby, especially if the coach was in favor of granting..
Not only bad rep but if they did not give him his release his scholarship money can not be used for anyone else next year which is probably why Roselli wanted to give him the release. I fail to see how this benefits OU in any way and creates bad blood and bad pub.

I don't understand it either. According to close and I mean very close sources, Lou was fine with the release until Leonard forced the denial. Lou responded after the appeal process that and this is pretty close to exact... This decision was made long before I was hired! How corrupt to do this to the wrestler and even the new coach. To say the family is not happy is an understatement and the only way to attack this is as you guys mentioned and that is with bad public relations. I think you will see and read more about this in various media out sources. According to flo his choices of transfer are not another Big 12 school so who cares where he goes!

Has John released every kid that wanted to leave?
to the best of my knowledge, yes. But my knowledge is limited! If he wanted to come to OSU, i could understand it. And the same for John if someone wanted to transfer to OU. But have never heard of OSU blocking a release.

Mark Cody is a great coach, but great was not good enough when John Smith is 80 miles away and in the same conference. I’m excited for Rosselli and what he brings to OU. Cody left Rosselli with talent on the roster. I believe Rosselli will produce multiple All-Americans this year and place OU in the top ten.

Robie's deal was not finalized as the upper weight assistant coach; he is still under contract with VT, and they were not willing to let him out of it. Robie staying at VT had nothing to do with the Athletic Dept! Lightener is a great coach and a Sooner National Champ; it was always in the deal to keep him on staff as the lower weight assistant coach.

MiIlhof is being his own worst enemy! He is trying to punish OU for firing Cody, but he is only hurting himself. He burned the bridge with OU. So OU will pay for his education this year, he will burn his redshirt and be at another school next year. Rosselli does not want him in the room unless he is 100% committed (I'm hopeful Milhof will have a change of attitude and recommit to OU). I think he is doing more to show his negative character than he is hurting OU’s reputation.

The great news is.... in the next three to five years we will have a competitive rivalry between OU and OSU!

Last edited:
OU fan.... U are so far off its crazy!!! For the record the referred to wrestler was NOT a fan of Codys. Punishing OU for firing Cody.....WRONG!! If you were really "in the know" you would support not only his request to exit but others as well. But in time.... I am sure you will be. I'm an OU fan as well but with a realistic view and not looking at it through Crimson colored glasses. Please be educated before posting. I also like Lou and think he will be successful if allowed to coach!

As well...this wrestler stated to Roselli he is not 100% committed so if Lou is the man in charge then who did not grant the release?

Last edited:
I am much closer than you know. Let me put it this way. Firing Cody started the problems for Millhof. Millhof called a team meeting and had the wrestlers sign a petition that if OU did not hire Lightner as the head coach the whole team would sit out the season. Well, they did not hire Lightener as the head coach, and it looks like the only one sitting out the season will be MiIllhof. I do not want to see Milhoff punished in any way. He is a great young man trying to find his way and stand up for what he believes in. I am just saying Millhof's battle is doing more to hurt Millhoff then it is hurting OU!

BTW: I like the way my Crimson colored glasses look on me!

I was wondering when someone from the OU athletic dept would finally chime in.... Heard the negative pr was getting to them!!! The one million dollar question still is out there.....why did they or you not release him?

Do you think maybe the fact he was so set on a release may have something to do with the fact that he was told if he got to AA status that he would receive a substantial increase in his scholarship and whether he liked Cody or not, Cody honored that raise before he left and it showed on his first stipend, however, Lightner and the athletic department took half of that increase back and never told the poor kid. He found out on his next stipend. When he questioned it he was told it was a mistake and would be corrected. Later he was told sorry... It is what it is. Yes... This is coming straight from the source with emails to back it up. Of course you are so close to the program I bet you already knew that. Your attempt to stop the negative pr will only get worse from here.

So.... Someone may ask....what is it with Cowboyalum that he has against OU....here it is ...IMO..... Until the athletic department let's the coaches coach and keeps the individual agendas away from the program, the program will never get where it once was. Don't punish the kids in the mean while!

I can't speak to any agreements between OU and Millhof. I have been involved with promises made by OU, and I can tell you they made good on all of them! Recruiting is a dirty business. I have a close friend whose son is at the school MiIlhof just visited. He was recruited with a 70% scholarship. After three years he is 53K in debt and will not receive any money this year. This story is too common at every D1 school in every sport!

Cowboyalum if you have the ear of MiIlhof and his parents could you please ask them to take off the victim glasses and focus on what is important. Getting a degree and winning a National Championship!

Last edited:
You are missing the point and STILL have not answered the question.... Why was he not released?? I thought you were close to the program....how do you not know of the agreements then? Why would he not receive any money this year? You are uninformed. You do know when an athlete is granted a request to contact he is eligible for athletic or financial aid right? WHY WOUKD THEY NOT RELEASE A KID IF THE MARRIAGE IS OVER???

Again... You won't answer the question! Why not? If you don't have an answer then just say you don't have any answer! What is the purpose of not releasing??? Hello??? Mcfly????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT