ADVERTISEMENT

Alaskan cruise

Wally12

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2007
Family is considering going on an Alaskan cruise this summer. Brother-in-law wants to take his father before he is unable to go (late 70's). Trip will most likely be myself, sister, bro-in-law, 8 month old nephew, our parents (mid 50's) and his dad/dad's girlfriend. So with that diverse of a group, what are some cruises that would be appealing to everyone? None of us have ever been to the Pac NW and are interested in spending a day or 2 in Seattle before leaving. Any help would be much appreciated!

Royal Carribean is my choice of cruise line. I want to do this cruise sometime in the next five years. They have ones that leave out of Seattle and end in British Columbia. It is a little more pricey then the ones down in the carribean.

I really have no desire to cruise but it is a "family vacation". I would much rather fly to a tropical beach.

My wife and I have taken 4-5 cruises and our Alaskan was our favorite by far. We didn't take our kids on that one, so I can't say much about how kids would like it. It will be more expensive than a Caribbean, but I like that kind of scenery better than a beach so it is well worth it to me.

In terms of ships, our Alaskan cruise was on Celebrity, but we've also done Carnival and Disney. I hasn't overly impressed with Carnival. Seemed a little more like a party ship. Celebrity was a really nice ship and good service too. Disney was great. Our kids loved the ability to go to the kids only area and that left my wife and I the ability to do some things we wanted on our own. Our kids loved it so much we could hardly get them out of there the last night. It certainly wasn't only geared to kids only either. In fact, we are looking into some trips for this year and one option is a Baltic Cruise on Disney and it would be just my wife and me. Not worried at all about being on a Disney ship without kids.

We love the cruises as pure vacations. Most everything is planned out already for you, except picking your excursions. It make the trip planning really easy and enjoyable. If you are in for a lot of tours and tons of on land sightseeing (like visiting museums or something like that) a cruise might now be for you.

Hope that helps some.

Reactions: Wally12
My family has been on ~10 Alaskan cruises of varying lengths, itineraries and cruise lines. It's definitely one of the best cruising destinations.

I agree with Royal Caribbean like JV mentioned above

Make certain that Glacier Bay is in your itinerary. It's a 'cruising' day so you don't get off the boat. Most itineraries don't offer Glacier Bay bc they really limit the number of boats that go in/out of there....but it's one heck of a day.

If you want to splurge on an excursion, take a helicopter flight to land on a glacier. Excursions are cheaper if you book off the boat (not thru the cruise line).

Have Fun!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT