ADVERTISEMENT

According to Flo

Where does the OU job rank now? Clearly no longer a top 5 job, but I'd think top 10 easily. Higher than Illinois?

Sounds to me as if recent and new situations may have risen as to the timing. I think at this point Lightner has to be offered the interim position and the question is will he take it....if so he needs to negotiate at least a three year deal or more.

The wrestlers love Lightner. This will be interesting to watch this develope under him. Best of luck as an upswing for OU only helps Oklahoma as a whole!

I'm thankful for his efforts here at OU, but it's time for him to move on to somewhere else, and for OU to move on as well.

Not sure how I feel about Lightner, as I was hoping for someone with a little more "splash" to his name. I'm not saying he won't be a good head coach for OU, just that I'd rather have a head coach who was successful somewhere else first.

But as always, the bigger question is who's going to be his assistant coaches? Maybe he'd give a guy who has a decent pedigree but is a little older a chance. Someone like a...oh I don't know...like a John Smith or someone like that. :)

Unless he brings everyone along really well this year, I bet they open up the job to other applicants in March.

Tough to hire a new coach with only 6 weeks until practice give or take.

I really feel like they "had" to do it when they did even if they really were not prepared. Brining in a big name at this point in the year is extremely difficult. Would not shock me if they make a run at a big name for next year. If the recruiting was not hurting already this situation really stifles it!

They should have hired his Father instead of Spates at the time, then Micco would have been coaching at OU and not gracing our presence on this board.

Where is Jordan now?

Reactions: MiccoMacey
They should have hired his Father instead of Spates at the time, then Micco would have been coaching at OU and not gracing our presence on this board.

Where is Jordan now?
And give up the opportunity to meet the great and wonderful people of 34 and counting? And OSUMatFan also? No way!

And give up the opportunity to meet the great and wonderful people of 34 and counting? And OSUMatFan also? No way!
Jordan Leen is a class act and a great wrestler. He has had several years experience at Virginia which would bode well for him. He would also be and is a great recruiter. I almost do not want OU to go after him as though I want them to do well, I do not want them to become dominant in the Big 12. However, he is the young blood they need to bring the back to the top level.

Copied from the Wrestling report eiwa forum:

"in the last five NCAAs just 13 schools won an individual NCAA wrestling title. That's compared to 24 teams from 2007-11 and 21 teams from 2002-06. The teams at the very top are getting harder to catch. Oklahoma won no titles in the six years before Cody arrived. While he was there they won two. In the five years before he arrived Oklahoma had two seasons without an A/A. They had A/A's every year he was there.'

Jordan Leen is a class act and a great wrestler. He has had several years experience at Virginia which would bode well for him. He would also be and is a great recruiter. I almost do not want OU to go after him as though I want them to do well, I do not want them to become dominant in the Big 12. However, he is the young blood they need to bring the back to the top level.
I hope they do become dominant. Our bedlam matches, as well as Oklahoma wrestling in all levels would improve. Just can't allow them to more dominant than us.

Not one of those guys that the article is referring to other then Millhoff were recruited by Cody. That sounds like a liberal posted that!

As long as John Smith is coach, OSU will get its fair share of Oklahoma and national recruits. I look at Oklahoma being similar to ISU. Even Cael couldn't out compete Brands and Iowa.

Last edited:
I know this just came down within the week but does the fact they have not signed Lightner to any type of contract not even for this year speak volumes as to they are not going to hire him? I would hate to be starting school in a week and not know who the head coach is.....can the athletes still transfer if they enter the semester then they hate the new hire?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT