ADVERTISEMENT

A warning for window tint that's too dark?

Hoop Thompson

Redshirt
Apr 1, 2011
Got stopped by a cop on the way home last night because he said my window tint was "a bit too dark." The previous owner (from New Jersey) had the windows tinted and I have been driving it nearly 18 months without any problem. The cop pulled out a device that measured the window tinting, which showed a 16, but in Georgia, the "tint level" must be 32 or higher. He said that number represents the amount of light that is passing through the window tint.

He gave me a warning, but said it was "documented" and if another cop pulls me over, he could write me a ticket. I'm reluctant to drop several hundred dollars to have my windows re-tinted, but don't want to keep getting tickets if I don't change them. Has anyone actually been ticketed for having window tint that is too dark?

When I bought my current vehicle, it was used and 1 year old. I noticed, when I was test driving it, that I couldn't see well out of the rear window. It was a very cloudy day, so I didn't think much of it. When I was driving the vehicle home, I still couldn't see well and it was a sunny day. Took the vehicle to a window tinting place near my office and was told that the original owner had added darker tinting to the rear window. They removed it for me and only charged me $30. The rear window is still tinted with the tinting that came from the factory. I can see great while driving, and it looks about the same when looking at the rear window from the outside.

I only mention this to say that it may not cost as much as you think to fix your problem.

Originally posted by Been Jammin:
When I bought my current vehicle, it was used and 1 year old. I noticed, when I was test driving it, that I couldn't see well out of the rear window. It was a very cloudy day, so I didn't think much of it. When I was driving the vehicle home, I still couldn't see well and it was a sunny day. Took the vehicle to a window tinting place near my office and was told that the original owner had added darker tinting to the rear window. They removed it for me and only charged me $30. The rear window is still tinted with the tinting that came from the factory. I can see great while driving, and it looks about the same when looking at the rear window from the outside.

I only mention this to say that it may not cost as much as you think to fix your problem.
Odds are there is no factory tint on there. So he'd have to pay to remove it and then tint it again, so yea it will cost a couple hundred to do it most likely.

If you get a ticket, it will be a fixit ticket, which will require you to remove the tint. There are ways around it, but it is usually better to just replace it with legal tint. Most places will only do 35% on the front seat windows. The only windows that need to be redone will be the front seat windows. You should be able to get that done for $150 or less.

If you don't want them retinted, you can remove the tint yourself fairly easy.

Do they check your tint during inspections? A lot of states with tint laws do. An easy way around that is to roll the windows down and pull the fuse so they can't be raised (or so I have been told). They can't check them if they won't go up, and they can't fail you for inoperable windows.

Originally posted by gipraw:
If you get a ticket, it will be a fixit ticket, which will require you to remove the tint. There are ways around it, but it is usually better to just replace it with legal tint. Most places will only do 35% on the front seat windows. The only windows that need to be redone will be the front seat windows. You should be able to get that done for $150 or less.

Do they check your tint during inspections? A lot of states with tint laws do. An easy way around that is to roll the windows down and pull the fuse so they can't be raised (or so I have been told). They can't check them if they won't go up, and they can't fail you for inoperable windows.
How many states still do inspections? I know Oklahoma stopped early 2000's I think.

Originally posted by OSUIvan:

Originally posted by gipraw:

How many states still do inspections? I know Oklahoma stopped early 2000's I think.
What? Vehicles are not inspected annually in Oklahoma? They definitely are in Texas. I assumed that it was the same in every state.

Nope. No state inspections. Another reason oklahoma > texas.

I got stopped for tint in my old pickup. I ignored it and never got stopped again. I will say though that it sucked making a left turn in a darkened area. Could hardly see.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Cowguy:

I got stopped for tint in my old pickup. I ignored it and never got stopped again. I will say though that it sucked making a left turn in a darkened area. Could hardly see.
I heard over the summer that BA cops were cracking down on dark tint.

here's a map...

Periodic safety inspection required
Safety inspection required upon sale or transfer
Safety inspection required when registering a vehicle from another jurisdiction
Emissions testing required in some areas
Emissions testing required in all areas
No inspection requiredStriped: Both safety and emissions testing required

959px-VehicleInspectionLawsUS.svg.png

This post was edited on 12/12 2:15 PM by OSUIvan

This post will be included in your Darwin Award application following your death when the semi hits you.

Originally posted by FMPoke:

This post will be included in your Darwin Award application following your death when the semi hits you.
What does a semi hitting a car have to do with lack of inspections? The point of inspections at the start was a new air quality law in the 80's ( I think). As states have decreased their carbon output the feds have allowed them stop inspections.

Originally posted by OSUIvan:

Originally posted by FMPoke:

What does a semi hitting a car have to do with lack of inspections? The point of inspections at the start was a new air quality law in the 80's ( I think). As states have decreased their carbon output the feds have allowed them stop inspections.
Ivan...

It is not about the inspections. It is a reference to Cowguy admitting that he continues to drive a car with tinting so dark that he can't see while potentially pulling out into oncoming traffic. The Darwin Award is given to people who die due to doing really stupid things.

Originally posted by BiloxiPoke:
Super-tinted windows are for high schoolers.

Your mama. Non-tinted windows are for senior citizens.
wink.r191677.gif
This post was edited on 12/15 1:01 PM by Hoop Thompson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT