ADVERTISEMENT

A surprising Blast from the Past

Old Number Nine

Starter
Jan 20, 2005
I can't even remember what I was looking for when I ran across this 1983 article:

Mat Writers Agree It's Iowa and More Iowa

"That, at least, was the unanimous verdict of the six writers polled by The Daily Oklahoman"

One of those writers was our own J. Carl Guymon but I was a little pissed when I read what he said. (the other was Wayne Bishop, also Ron Good AWN)

First he predicted that "Iowa could win the tournament by 30 points". What kind of ridiculous prediction is that. It was a total fluke that Iowa lucked out and won by 53.

Next he didn't even pick Clar Anderson would make the final, let alone win it. Anderson was under-seeded at 5 after losing only to Clint Burke of Oklahoma during the season, who he beat in the finals. Just to save face he said, "Any of six could take this weight," but didn't mention Anderson.

The article doesn't say that he picked Monday over Carr so I assume he picked Carr.

But here's the real pisser; he picked Reich over Sheets!! He Said; "Sheets hasn't been scoring points lately, like he's getting tight." What was he smoking at the time? Sheets last six matches, leading up to Reich were: 5-1 (Oliver), 6-0, 14-0, 29-2, 2-0 (Oliver) and 18-0. Yeah, he looked tight.

The real Oklahoma writer, Bishop said, "I'm not sure Sheets will have a close match." These are the words of a writer who knows something about wrestling.

I can't even remember what I was looking for when I ran across this 1983 article:

Mat Writers Agree It's Iowa and More Iowa

"That, at least, was the unanimous verdict of the six writers polled by The Daily Oklahoman"

One of those writers was our own J. Carl Guymon but I was a little pissed when I read what he said. (the other was Wayne Bishop, also Ron Good AWN)

First he predicted that "Iowa could win the tournament by 30 points". What kind of ridiculous prediction is that. It was a total fluke that Iowa lucked out and won by 53.

Next he didn't even pick Clar Anderson would make the final, let alone win it. Anderson was under-seeded at 5 after losing only to Clint Burke of Oklahoma during the season, who he beat in the finals. Just to save face he said, "Any of six could take this weight," but didn't mention Anderson.

The article doesn't say that he picked Monday over Carr so I assume he picked Carr.

But here's the real pisser; he picked Reich over Sheets!! He Said; "Sheets hasn't been scoring points lately, like he's getting tight." What was he smoking at the time? Sheets last six matches, leading up to Reich were: 5-1 (Oliver), 6-0, 14-0, 29-2, 2-0 (Oliver) and 18-0. Yeah, he looked tight.

The real Oklahoma writer, Bishop said, "I'm not sure Sheets will have a close match." These are the words of a writer who knows something about wrestling.
Shame on all of those writers. I remember it well as Sheets was always my favorite OK State wrestler of all time.I will remind Mr. Guymon of this but to whom was the article attributed?

For the record:

1. Iowa 155
2. OSU 102
3. ISU 94.25
4. OU 64.75
5. Lehigh 49

118 - Adam Cuestas
126 - Barry Davis
134 - Clar Anderson
142 - Darryl Burley
150 - Nate Carr
158 - Jim Zelesky