ADVERTISEMENT

A question for those at the match...

Old Number Nine

Starter
Jan 20, 2005
It might be nice to have something to talk (complain) about besides the quality of our wrestling so I have a question for those at the match, and I guess if you watched it at home. What do you think of the Arena Football atmosphere (although somewhat subdued) at the matches these days.

I don't mind the music during the Duel intros but I would be happier if it were turned down after that. Why would they play blaring music over the individual match intros and right up to (and sometimes over) the starting whistle.

Why do they have to play some kind of music during every break in the action? Are we so brainless that we have to have something to occupy our minds during a ten second break? During one such break I look over into the next section and there were three male students setting side-by-side calmly staring (as if in a trance) at the mat and bobbing their heads to the music (I’m glad they were there). I guess they had nothing to talk about

And it’s not that I don’t like loud music; on our trip from Tulsa I remember listening to Pick Floyd, Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd (turn it up) and Stevie Ray with my wife continually reminding me to turn it down when the volume crept up a little.

Besides this, the band was kind enough to attend the match to help lead us in our team support, I remember them playing “Oklahoma” and the school song at the end. That’s not as bad as their playing PA music over the full band at football games but if I was in charge of the Pep Band, I wouldn't waste my time. It’s disgraceful.

I understand our announcer (I've forgotten his name) has to be heard over the music, but he screams all the time. If he ever screams, “Are you ready to Rumble”, I’ll probably gag. I know I'm old, but give me Bob Dillinger.

As I said, I know I’m old but certainly not the oldest there but I remember when I saw my first match (Bedlam Feb. 1978; Lee Roy Smith, Dave Schultz, Eric Wais and Jimmy Jackson all helped in the win) and the atmosphere absolutely sucked me in. This was what brought me to the ’78 Big 8 Tournament which changed my life.

These kind of crowds persisted (at least for big matches) through the 90’s and it’s just sad that today’s fans probably will never get experience the thrill of an arena built to safely hold 6000+ with over 7000 fans cheering as loud as they can; forget about the 10,000 at the ’78 Big 12.

I know those days are long gone but that kind of atmosphere cannot be recreated by blaring music and screaming announcers. Let the Band and the Cheer Leaders lead the cheering, if there is no band, go ahead and play some music between matches, play the wrestler’s choice of intro song.

Lol.

They could turn it down a bit. Trying to force wrestling into a Basketball hole. Also update the songs a bit - or yeah, let the wrestlers pick their intro song. Or let the students pick songs - that'd maybe get more of them excited to go.

Speculation aside, how do the top programs do it at their home duals? Anybody know?

This is kind of my point in another thread about John Smith stepping down.

Atmosphere is another place we don't even come close to competing. Carver is obviously the flagship here, but Penn State gets more to the arena than our basketball team does...even though you need to keep a close eye on your children under the age of 14.

I don't know the solution here, but our AD and coaching staff need to develop a plan to make it a rowdy and exciting event. If I were a talented kid with no ties to OSU, I don't know that I would choose OSU because of the difference in competition day atmosphere.

This is just another area where we are lacking. RTC, NIL and atmosphere puts us in the middle of the pack. Tradition and coaching talent keep us in the Top 5...and that appears to be fleeting?

This board has been a lot more active the last few days, so the fans are out there. Makes me wonder, what was the attendance/atmosphere like in the mid 2000s?

This board has been a lot more active the last few days, so the fans are out there. Makes me wonder, what was the attendance/atmosphere like in the mid 2000s?
Go to the Iowa or Penn State board...its not even remotely close.

Lol.

They could turn it down a bit. Trying to force wrestling into a Basketball hole. Also update the songs a bit - or yeah, let the wrestlers pick their intro song. Or let the students pick songs - that'd maybe get more of them excited to go.

Speculation aside, how do the top programs do it at their home duals? Anybody know?
the wrestlers do pick their walk-out songs. But yes, it could be that someone could turn the volume down some. And when we do get the band their, don't play music over them. Not being able to talk to the person next to you adds nothing to the atmosphere-may actually keep people away.

Go to the Iowa or Penn State board...its not even remotely close.
I know, but the PSU activity began when they started winning. Didn't we have like 14K for the PSU dual a few years ago? Where is everyone? Is it because of the 15 year drought?

I know, but the PSU activity began when they started winning. Didn't we have like 14K for the PSU dual a few years ago? Where is everyone? Is it because of the 15 year drought?
If they wrestle Penn State or Iowa at home the stands would be full . I don’t no the attendance number was for Sunday but there was a good crowd .

Reactions: TheJimReaper
As I said, I know I’m old but certainly not the oldest there but I remember when I saw my first match (Bedlam Feb. 1978; Lee Roy Smith, Dave Schultz, Eric Wais and Jimmy Jackson all helped in the win) and the atmosphere absolutely sucked me in. This was what brought me to the ’78 Big 8 Tournament which changed my life.

These kind of crowds persisted (at least for big matches) through the 90’s and it’s just sad that today’s fans probably will never get experience the thrill of an arena built to safely hold 6000+ with over 7000 fans cheering as loud as they can; forget about the 10,000 at the ’78 Big 12.

I know those days are long gone but that kind of atmosphere cannot be recreated by blaring music and screaming announcers.
I was there you must be old, hence why they call you old # 9. I don't think it can be exactly recreated, fire code and all, no more standing room only, even though larger now maybe not louder. However, the 2019 Iowa match showed that what they are doing can work, its just how do you get folks to show up like that for all, or at least a few of the duals. And there aren't that many home duals, I don't get it as I've got to travel from out of state to come back and see a dual. There are enough people around to put 10k in the arena every dual. Its all about getting the younger crowd involved.

I was there you must be old, hence why they call you old # 9. I don't think it can be exactly recreated, fire code and all, no more standing room only, even though larger now maybe not louder. However, the 2019 Iowa match showed that what they are doing can work, its just how do you get folks to show up like that for all, or at least a few of the duals. And there aren't that many home duals, I don't get it as I've got to travel from out of state to come back and see a dual. There are enough people around to put 10k in the arena every dual. Its all about getting the younger crowd involved.
IRL no one calls me ON9 that's has just been my online handle for posting on old wrestling message boards (can't remember their names) and Napster. I played Baseball and I have always been number 9 plus I've been a Red Sox fan since 1975; hence my photo. However, every one of my friends looks old so I must be as well.

Well for some silly reason we agree to move our biggest dual in 2 years to Arlington.

Turn the music DOWN for wrestling and bb.I can’t even hear the announcer say the rankings! I don’t want a rock concert! I also don’t care for the cheesy crap on the jumbo torn between matches.I would like to regain my hearing between matches.

The "cheesy" should go. I thought it was nice to do something with the students between match; contests, give away an OSU scooter. Anything to bring back the kids.

I believe any student should be granted free admission with the purchase of a large soft drink.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT