ADVERTISEMENT

A new motel for OKC street bums and druggies. Yep. That'll fix the problem.

I don't pretend to have all the answers but providing free housing to people who refuse or are incapable of taking care of themselves is not a sustainable or an effective solution. Sure it may make some think they are doing something good but the reality is they are doing nothing but making the problem worse. You do not make a problem better by making it easier to be the problem.
Mental illness is a big part of the problem and any solution that doesn't address that is nothing more than a band aid.

I don't pretend to have all the answers but providing free housing to people who refuse or are incapable of taking care of themselves is not a sustainable or an effective solution. Sure it may make some think they are doing something good but the reality is they are doing nothing but making the problem worse. You do not make a problem better by making it easier to be the problem.
Mental illness is a big part of the problem and any solution that doesn't address that is nothing more than a band aid.
Agree. I don't know the percentages of people who are homeless that are also are mentally ill. But, taking that percentage out of the equation, the remaining would drug addicts, those who have had severe financial issues, have too many kids to take care of, or just the run of the mill idiot.
The mentally ill, need assistance. The drug addicts need assistance, if they want to help themselves. The people who have had financial issues and are idiots should be shot.

Check who the owners are, the current financials of the property and if the owners are campaign contributors or somehow connected to the city officials making this proposal. I have a feeling. if you look, you will find a corrupt connection somewhere. California politicians have been getting rich doing this same thing for years.

Oh we will have a new fort soon. I hope they have cross bow holders.
Future Sooner Schooner:

jonathan-lim-ballista-mounted-carriage.jpg

Funny thing is I hear my home town is doing the same to get them out of down town so they can keep revamping it. If you feed the bears they won’t leave.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
Check who the owners are, the current financials of the property and if the owners are campaign contributors or somehow connected to the city officials making this proposal. I have a feeling. if you look, you will find a corrupt connection somewhere. California politicians have been getting rich doing this same thing for years.
That’s old Humphries land

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
The next Plaza Inn. Taxpayer funded too.

This is the path of someone trying to be the “compassionate unicorn,” as opposed to promulgating a solution that has a 100% better chance of working. Because refurbishing a hotel & allowing drug addicts & the mentally ill free reign will end up with a structure that in a constant state of disrepair & a taxpayer funded money pit.

Going to have to start involuntarily committing the mentally ill & find an old military base that you can put the drug addicts through some type of rehabilitation boot camp where they can also learn a trade.

Will work wonders for the local businesses.

If you read the article, addressing the mental health issues of the residents is specifically mentioned.

If you read the article, addressing the mental health issues of the residents is specifically mentioned.

The mission is "affordable housing" for people who need to learn "how to be good neighbors". Mental health (for some) is casually mentioned as a side note in an attempt to give readers the feel-goods and go on ignoring the problem. Bricktown will love it.

The mission needs to be mental health and drug rehab -- in the way @windriverrange mentions. They need to be removed from under the viaducts and street corners, and committed to mental institutions. Then Petsmart will once again have enough shopping carts.

I think the idea will be for people to apply and have to meet certain benchmarks to qualify and stay, not to let crazed drug addicts stumble in. It will have a better chance to work if there are strict controls. OKC is a well run city. This is not San Francisco. It may not work but hopefully it can.

What is the definition of success in this situation?
The entity receiving all your tax dollars. We've an organization called "haven for hope" in San Antone. They have programs that might help two or three out of 100 residents succeed in the real world while hundreds are either incarcerated and welcomed back with open arms while the rest roam the streets pillaging the neighborhood until they open up the doors for bedtime. A huge fail imo.

The next Plaza Inn. Taxpayer funded too.

My sources tell me it's designed to be more of a "halfway house" type housing. It's not going to be a shelter open to the general mouthwash drinking public. I'm interested in seeing how they do.

On a different but very similar note, OSU somehow thought it was a good idea to offer up the land on the southside of its Oklahoma City campus for a new 330 bed state mental health hospital. It'll be there by 2026. Yep, lets put the new epicenter of homeless folks on the south side of a college campus that doesn't have any real cops.

• Wow
Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT