ADVERTISEMENT

34 & counting

Sep 14, 2010
Guys - I am the one that came up with the name for this board and we haven't won it since. Now I don't want to say the board name is the reason, but.................
Should we make a change to the name

Guys - I am the one that came up with the name for this board and we haven't won it since. Now I don't want to say the board name is the reason, but.................
I say we let the team change the name in March.

Maybe we should wait until after Nationals and if we do not win think about another name. The name now is close to demeaning. No problem about the name when it was first started but now it just points to our frustration.

Yeah, we should rename it, "Come on Marstellar and Boyd."

I know its early still, and much can happen. However, I am confident in 6 AAs with two finalists. If we can have 3 other weights get to the r12, we could squeak one out!

125 - AA
133 - r12
141 - Finalist
149 - AA
157 - please r12
165 - Champ
174 - AA
184 - please r12
197 - uh
HWT - AA

One thing is for certain, barring anything crazy happening, this years tourney is going to be awesome! I just hope it isn't heartbreaking!

Yeah, we should rename it, "Come on Marstellar and Boyd."

I know its early still, and much can happen. However, I am confident in 6 AAs with two finalists. If we can have 3 other weights get to the r12, we could squeak one out!

125 - AA
133 - r12
141 - Finalist
149 - AA
157 - please r12
165 - Champ
174 - AA
184 - please r12
197 - uh
HWT - AA

One thing is for certain, barring anything crazy happening, this years tourney is going to be awesome! I just hope it isn't heartbreaking!
I think Brock might have a lot to say about what happens at 157. If he looks like he could finish higher than r12 then I think they do whatever they have to do in order to win. Hopefully that is CM.

What I don't understand is if everything certain people on this board are saying is true....."the best wrestler will wrestle", then why don't we see that now....what I mean is, lets face it, Smith is a better wrestler at 157 than Marsterller. It's not that Marsteller is not good, he seems to be coming on here as of late, getting better and could be very good by March, but the truth of the matter is, Joe Smith IMO is a better wrestler than Marsteller at 157. And I know a lot of people will agree with me. Now does John feel that Joe is better, I don't know, I'm not him. At 165, Marsteller might have one up on Smith, but we can all see that at 157, Smith would be the better bet, so why not let him go now. Protect the redshirt, save him for next year, yada yada yada. Pull him! John hasn't pulled him yet, so I know he will wait until after the scuffle to do it, if he does, but to me it's inevitable, it should happen. Smith has already beaten Lavallee and Cottrell, which are ranked 9 and 10 according to Wrestlestats and Intermat has them at 9 and 12. Wrestlestats is the only site that I can think of off the top of my head that ranks RS freshmen, and they have him at 4........You want another AA, go with Smith, Chance will be there next year at 165 with 3 years left.

*I highlighted parts to let everyone know that it's my crazy mind that thinks this....but remember, who said Brock would upset Brewer...........

It's the correct conservative approach. If CM can keep improving and get his tank and weight under control then he should be the option. If he can't by the SS then I think we see Smith. What you don't want is to pull his shirt and then CM get everything sorted out. If that were to happen then you wasted Smiths fifth year and CM or Smith this year. Think about the difference between AD this year and his true freshman year.

I honestly believe that winning 35 depends on Marstellar and Boyd. They both have the talent to be an AA, yet they have both shown they cannot be counted on to do so. Can it improve? You bet! Will it improve? I would like to think so!

They believe that Brock can be an AA, or they would have left him in his shirt. They have to believe he can be a 4x AA and wouldn't take that from him without the belief that he can do it this year. The same goes for Smith.

So, if we can get some points from those two guys, two finalists and 4 more AA's, maybe 5...have some bonus points thrown in and we just made the last day of the Tourney extremely exciting. If Boyd and 57 can AA along with Brock...that is every Wrestler (outside of 97) earning those honors. I am too pumped, I just hope I don't get dumped by poor performance from a few guys or something unfortunate happening.

I honestly believe that winning 35 depends on Marstellar and Boyd. They both have the talent to be an AA, yet they have both shown they cannot be counted on to do so. Can it improve? You bet! Will it improve? I would like to think so!

They believe that Brock can be an AA, or they would have left him in his shirt. They have to believe he can be a 4x AA and wouldn't take that from him without the belief that he can do it this year. The same goes for Smith.

So, if we can get some points from those two guys, two finalists and 4 more AA's, maybe 5...have some bonus points thrown in and we just made the last day of the Tourney extremely exciting. If Boyd and 57 can AA along with Brock...that is every Wrestler (outside of 97) earning those honors. I am too pumped, I just hope I don't get dumped by poor performance from a few guys or something unfortunate happening.
Chase, I agree with most of your points but pulling Kaid was that they had no other choice. Harding is injured and not wrestling like he was last year. Crutchmer had chances and did not work out. There was just no production at 133 at all. I agree if Marsteller can turn it around we stick with him and the Southern Scuffle is the place to find out. He looked better at OU but that is one match. How will he do when he has to make weight twice in a two day tournament. I would prefer Joe to redshirt but like Kaid it may not be possible.

Oh yeah Obe, I wasn't trying to come off as implying that bringing Brock out was a mistake. I believe that they believe he can AA this year. I also agree with that.

I know we have only seen 42 seconds of D1 Brock, but the RS Brock we've seen has more than enough ability to score us some points. I think he can AA, I am confident saying he will be a r12 guy unless he gets a terrible draw.

If I had one complaint on Brock, I would say that he appears to be a tad undersized. I don't remember ever thinking that he was big or small, but I remember thinking that he might should go to 125 after his RS year. I will say, against Brewer, he looked tiny.

Oh yeah Obe, I wasn't trying to come off as implying that bringing Brock out was a mistake. I believe that they believe he can AA this year. I also agree with that.

I know we have only seen 42 seconds of D1 Brock, but the RS Brock we've seen has more than enough ability to score us some points. I think he can AA, I am confident saying he will be a r12 guy unless he gets a terrible draw.

If I had one complaint on Brock, I would say that he appears to be a tad undersized. I don't remember ever thinking that he was big or small, but I remember thinking that he might should go to 125 after his RS year. I will say, against Brewer, he looked tiny.
In his defense Brewer is a HUGE 133

Chase, I agree with most of your points but pulling Kaid was that they had no other choice. Harding is injured and not wrestling like he was last year. Crutchmer had chances and did not work out. There was just no production at 133 at all. I agree if Marsteller can turn it around we stick with him and the Southern Scuffle is the place to find out. He looked better at OU but that is one match. How will he do when he has to make weight twice in a two day tournament. I would prefer Joe to redshirt but like Kaid it may not be possible.
CM did look a lot better at OU, but not being able to get out in the second worries me a bit. You can see the talent when he has the gas.

So what are some other opinion? Brock is an average size 33 or small? I really thought he would take over for Klimara when he was gone and allow Fix to RS also...but then what do you do with picnic?

Tough choices being a coach with that kind of talent in the room all bunched up.

So what are some other opinion? Brock is an average size 33 or small? I really thought he would take over for Klimara when he was gone and allow Fix to RS also...but then what do you do with picnic?

Tough choices being a coach with that kind of talent in the room all bunched up.

I think Brock is a bit on the small side but also doesn't likely cut much weight and gets to wrestle feeling in top condition which will help him this year.

I actually think Smith is more of a sure fire AA than Brock if he comes out and that isn't taking anything away from Brock but Smith might be on a different level.

Brock's size will benefit him over several days of a tourney.

And that's the big question on CM. And we will get our answer at the SS. I expect Smith to be pulled after that because he will give us more point potential. The likelihood of CM hitting a wall at Nationals at 57 are exponentially higher than Smith. To me, it's not worth it when, as we all know, that weight could determine the teams.

Reactions: osu2082
Anybody have speculation on where joe might place at nationals? The team race could be close enough that it might matter.

I know I have no clue. We really have not seen him wrestle enough to know. Until he won Fargo it was just understood that he would redshirt. I think he has outperformed expectations, but he has not wrestled a top ranked wrestler yet.

My gut feeling is that we should know whether he is ready to compete after the Scuffle. As to whether he will place we will not know that about a true freshman until March 21st.

Thanks guys. If he does well at the SS, I think John has to bring him out!

Well he controlled and dominated (as much as you can in a 5-3 match) the #9 guy at the weight so he is solidly in the top 10.

We've seen this before though...like Jamal Parks.

Well, we've seen high expectations that didn't workout I guess is what I should say.

I may be way off, but I think a good portion of our title hopes rest with Klimara and Marsden. They're both ranked in the top 5, but I just don't feel like they're wrestling like top 5 guys yet. With the fire I see in Brock, I think he's more of an AA threat than Klimara is to be honest and Marsden seems to be lacking that fire too. Without those guys on the podium, it doesn't matter who we put out there at 157.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT