ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 Wrestling (oSu lineup breakdown)

That's a big hole. No one really of note. And Williams is SO TALENTED. Sad circumstances for a kid who clearly also needed some mental health help.
Some truly think Carter has the upside. Tagen can definitely stand to go up and he beat JW in the room. I just don’t think Cael is ready for 41 if it goes that way. Hopefully they can get him squared away

Some truly think Carter has the upside. Tagen can definitely stand to go up and he beat JW in the room. I just don’t think Cael is ready for 41 if it goes that way. Hopefully they can get him squared away

I would LOVE to see Tagen move up. It definitely looked like he held back in matches a bit last year, not wanting to risk falling off a cliff.

And forgot about Carter Young. No way is he a 149.

Hughes missed weight at JR WTT. So clearly he could go up as well.

I guess there are a lot options. LOL

Very sad. Coach Taylor and Co. are implementing the 3 strikes your out system. I think Jordan had several "foul balls" as well so to speak. Jordan made it through some grueling practices throughout the summer only to falter off the mat. I wish him well and I hope he succeeds in all avenues of life.

IMO going forward, 133- Reece or Cael, 141- Carter or Cael, 149- Tagen.

Very sad. Coach Taylor and Co. are implementing the 3 strikes your out system. I think Jordan had several "foul balls" as well so to speak. Jordan made it through some grueling practices throughout the summer only to falter off the mat. I wish him well and I hope he succeeds in all avenues of life.

IMO going forward, 133- Reece or Cael, 141- Carter or Cael, 149- Tagen.

Well, actually...

The quote I got with regard to offenses... "This ain't baseball"

Hes obviously hurting with the conflict of wrestling is probably all he knows and his heart just isn't in it enough anymore. I got that sense even before he stepped on campus. You could always tell from his body language on the mat. Just didn't want it. I hate to say it but it's kinda similar to what we saw from Thompson last year.

I hate to say it but it's kinda similar to what we saw from Thompson last year.
I could be totally wrong because I didn’t get to watch as many duals as I’d have liked to, but I thought it looked like Thompson was hurting from the cut to 174. Even felt like you could tell the weeks he had an easier time cutting than others (compare his 2 Bedlam matches vs Picklo). I think a redshirt year to train with this staff/roster and coming back at 184 could be great for him.

Hes obviously hurting with the conflict of wrestling is probably all he knows and his heart just isn't in it enough anymore. I got that sense even before he stepped on campus. You could always tell from his body language on the mat. Just didn't want it. I hate to say it but it's kinda similar to what we saw from Thompson last year.
I think Thompson might’ve been overwhelmed by what it takes. At least I hope that’s what it was.

JW seemed to be overwhelmed by not wanting to do what he knows it takes?

I hope the best and that he is DTs Bubba Jenkins.

JW has long had the vibe of “I’m good at this so I should do it but I don’t want to”. If he’s done wrestling that’s fine too. Maybe he’s done, maybe he’ll go somewhere that he can train the way he wants, who knows.

JW has long had the vibe of “I’m good at this so I should do it but I don’t want to”. If he’s done wrestling that’s fine too. Maybe he’s done, maybe he’ll go somewhere that he can train the way he wants, who knows.
Perfectly said. There's a lot of pressure being a big time recruit and delivering. Some guys can't handle it or don't want it.

Reactions: gyppoke and Tarem
I could be totally wrong because I didn’t get to watch as many duals as I’d have liked to, but I thought it looked like Thompson was hurting from the cut to 174. Even felt like you could tell the weeks he had an easier time cutting than others (compare his 2 Bedlam matches vs Picklo). I think a redshirt year to train with this staff/roster and coming back at 184 could be great for him.
We'll see, whatever it was, he needs to be a lot better than what we saw from him last year. Hopefully he gains some offense redshirting.

Reactions: bwel9339
I think Thompson might’ve been overwhelmed by what it takes. At least I hope that’s what it was.

JW seemed to be overwhelmed by not wanting to do what he knows it takes?

I hope the best and that he is DTs Bubba Jenkins.
With Thompson body size 174 really shouldn’t have been a brutal cut (as I sit here 15 pounds overweight). It seems it was more how he cut down based on what was said.

With Thompson body size 174 really shouldn’t have been a brutal cut (as I sit here 15 pounds overweight). It seems it was more how he cut down based on what was said.
Yeah, that is kind of what I was saying as far as being overwhelmed with how to do the things it takes. Wrestling at a blue blood is tons different than dominating everyone in high school.

-Scholastics
-Nutrition
-Intense training
-Freedom
-Enhanced competition
-Girls
-Expectations

That is quite a bit to navigate for a young person and I doubt he has had to keep a decent cut for very long in his entire life. HS coaches, etc. don't really know how to coach the nutrition part. Its still more of a, "here, put these trash bags on and go run. If you get thirsty, rinse your mouth out, but don't swallow the water. Go home tonight and eat a spoonful of peanut butter."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT