ADVERTISEMENT

2024-2025 Schedule

CowboyTanker

Starter
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2001
Looks like we will have Virginia Tech in Stillwater
this coming season.

We were always about the latest putting out our schedule and the reason given was it had to be approved by the basketball coaches first due to possible scheduling conflicts at GIA. Let's see if Taylor can get it out any quicker. I waited many times to schedule trips to either Reno or Chattanooga due to the lateness and I would not expect it to be out until November. The other problem was that you might schedule Reno or the Scuffle and find that we were only sending backups to one or the other. I hope we continue going to the Scuffle as it is a really well run tournament and I prefer
Chattanooga over Reno by a long shot. (Obviously I am not much of a gambler). Scenery is also much better unless you can break away and go to Tahoe.

We were always about the latest putting out our schedule and the reason given was it had to be approved by the basketball coaches first due to possible scheduling conflicts at GIA. Let's see if Taylor can get it out any quicker. I waited many times to schedule trips to either Reno or Chattanooga due to the lateness and I would not expect it to be out until November. The other problem was that you might schedule Reno or the Scuffle and find that we were only sending backups to one or the other. I hope we continue going to the Scuffle as it is a really well run tournament and I prefer
Chattanooga over Reno by a long shot. (Obviously I am not much of a gambler). Scenery is also much better unless you can break away and go to Tahoe. Competition also usually better at the Scuffle.

Chattanooga over Reno by a long shot. (Obviously I am not much of a gambler). Scenery is also much better unless you can break away and go to Tahoe.
I'd love to meet you in Chattanooga. It's only a 4 hour drive for me. It is a very well run tourney. I just wish Cael would go back but the B1G schedule starts so early in January and that is why we haven't been back. I wish the Scuffle would move the tournament to mid December.

Edit to add that I'm not into gambling either.

I'd love to meet you in Chattanooga. It's only a 4 hour drive for me. It is a very well run tourney. I just wish Cael would go back but the B1G schedule starts so early in January and that is why we haven't been back. I wish the Scuffle would move the tournament to mid December.

I could be wrong, but I doubt we go to the Scuffle anytime in the near future and it isn’t because of the Big10 schedule. The possible exception would be sending a handful of freshman or redshirts.

I could be wrong, but I doubt we go to the Scuffle anytime in the near future and it isn’t because of the Big10 schedule. The possible exception would be sending a handful of freshman or redshirts.
I can't see how the conference schedule doesn't affect the Scuffle most years. Scuffle is New Year's and conference commonly begins around 1/5 or 1/6. I'm sure there are more reasons. It's sad. I'd love more high level wrestling events in the south. Can't grow the sport if we shun one region of the country.

Mr. Earl and I have been to the Scuffle several times and if we send our starters to Chattanooga I would love to meet with you. I guess we will have to see how our schedule shakes out. I know we went to the Las Vegas open last year and Earl and I and KC Scott were there. We suffered two injuries early on which definitely hurt our standings. ( Surber and Doucet).

I can't see how the conference schedule doesn't affect the Scuffle most years. Scuffle is New Year's and conference commonly begins around 1/5 or 1/6. I'm sure there are more reasons. It's sad. I'd love more high level wrestling events in the south. Can't grow the sport if we shun one region of the country.
My point is they don't do mid-season grueling tournaments anymore. Even if the Big10 schedule did not start until Sunday the 12th or Friday the 17th they are not going to the Scuffle.

As I said though, there is a possibility they send a few redshirts or freshmen.

BTW for those who do not subscribe to Flo they did a breakdown of their team recently. VA Tech was 7th in NCAA last year and return a formidable lineup.
125 Eddie Ventresca
133 #13 Connor McGonagle
141 #18 Sam Latona
149 #1 Caleb Henson
157 Rafael Hipolito
165#15 Connor Brady
174 #7 Lenox Wolak
184 #7 TJ Stewart
197 #11 Andy Smith or Sonny Sasso
285 #12 Hunter Catka or Jimmy Mullen

Reactions: bwel9339
My point is they don't do mid-season grueling tournaments anymore. Even if the Big10 schedule did not start until Sunday the 12th or Friday the 17th they are not going to the Scuffle.

As I said though, there is a possibility they send a few redshirts or freshmen.
That's why I've advocated for a mid December Scuffle. Holiday tournaments really aren't that grueling imo. 3-4 bouts over two days, and a chance for coaches to see their guys hold weight for two days. I just think Cael has a secret recipe that he has developed that only involves 20-25 max bouts a year per wrestler. The conference tourney and Nationals is 8-9 bouts, so regular season is about 11-15 matches. I think in Cael's mind, 30 bouts in a season is too many.

Aaron Brooks wrestled 92 times over 5 years(incl Covid). 76 times over the last 4 years. That's 19 bouts a year average.

Carter Starocci wrestled 97 times over 5 years(incl Covid). 81 times over the last 4 years. That's 20 bouts a year average.

In Cael's 4 years, he wrestled 159 times. Double what he has his guys doing now. It will be interesting to see how much of the secret recipe DT keeps, and what he does differently. I will say that as a fan, I'd love to see more wrestling, but I can't fault the success in having healthy guys in March.

Mr. Earl and I have been to the Scuffle several times and if we send our starters to Chattanooga I would love to meet with you. I guess we will have to see how our schedule shakes out. I know we went to the Las Vegas open last year and Earl and I and KC Scott were there. We suffered two injuries early on which definitely hurt our standings. ( Surber and Doucet).
I loved the CKLV and will definitely be returning if they do it again.

That's why I've advocated for a mid December Scuffle. Holiday tournaments really aren't that grueling imo. 3-4 bouts over two days, and a chance for coaches to see their guys hold weight for two days. I just think Cael has a secret recipe that he has developed that only involves 20-25 max bouts a year per wrestler. The conference tourney and Nationals is 8-9 bouts, so regular season is about 11-15 matches. I think in Cael's mind, 30 bouts in a season is too many.

Aaron Brooks wrestled 92 times over 5 years(incl Covid). 76 times over the last 4 years. That's 19 bouts a year average.

Carter Starocci wrestled 97 times over 5 years(incl Covid). 81 times over the last 4 years. That's 20 bouts a year average.

In Cael's 4 years, he wrestled 159 times. Double what he has his guys doing now. It will be interesting to see how much of the secret recipe DT keeps, and what he does differently. I will say that as a fan, I'd love to see more wrestling, but I can't fault the success in having healthy guys in March.
There is something to it! It's also how I know we get Bo and Jax...Magic Man has secret sauce to trump Cael's secret recipe.

Jax and Bo are coming to StillVegas to do something never been done before...both of them.

Jax is going to be the 1st ever, undefeated 4 x'er to never win a regular season match. He is only going to Wrestle opens and move into the lineup for conference and NCAA's.

Bo is going to be the 1st ever, undefeated 4 x'er at 4 different weights using the same method.

• Love
Reactions: AtownPoke
There is something to it! It's also how I know we get Bo and Jax...Magic Man has secret sauce to trump Cael's secret recipe.

Jax and Bo are coming to StillVegas to do something never been done before...both of them.

Jax is going to be the 1st ever, undefeated 4 x'er to never win a regular season match. He is only going to Wrestle opens and move into the lineup for conference and NCAA's.

Bo is going to be the 1st ever, undefeated 4 x'er at 4 different weights using the same method.
I'm sure if we end up coming to Stillwater for a dual in the next six years, you will get Bo and Jax in GIA. I promise you that. There is a ton of history in Stillwater that we wouldn't want any of our team to miss it, especially two of our best. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: AtownPoke

You don’t happen to have inside info on this, do you?

You don’t happen to have inside info on this, do you?
Not really, I’ve got a few tidbits from talking to people, but I’m pretty sure we’re mostly guys that just love the sport.

I don’t think Bo knows much yet. Not sure how much a bidding war matters or if he tries to start one.

I think Jax was a heavy OSU lean, but all the changes may have created an opening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT