ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Line-Up predictions

I think AJ's style matches up well against guys like Warner #5, Woodley etc. Not so sure he can get thru Adams and can't recall Sloan's. Also think AJ will get better against the top 5 guys every time he wrestles them, but limited opportunity for that this year.

I agree I wish he faced more top guys heading into nationals because I really feel like he is one of those talented young guys who you won’t beat twice.

Has there been or will there be a montalvo/ plott ranking match at 174?

Has there been or will there be a montalvo/ plott ranking match at 174?

I don’t think Taco is anywhere close to Plott right now. That could change come the challenge of course but Plott is doing very well and Taco has struggled since his return.

I don’t think Taco is anywhere close to Plott right now. That could change come the challenge of course but Plott is doing very well and Taco has struggled since his return.

plots bottom wrestling is a big concern. Maybe by the time montalvo settles into the weight he could be ready.

Reactions: osu2082
By what measure/data are you suggesting that, he has only had one match, correct?

plots bottom wrestling is a big concern. Maybe by the time montalvo settles into the weight he could be ready.
I don’t think it’s a big concern based on him getting rode one period at Air Force. Montalvo is working himself back in to shape and getting his weight settled . Coach Smith was very smart scheduling the cowboy open let the best man win.

I don’t think it’s a big concern based on him getting rode one period at Air Force. Montalvo is working himself back in to shape and getting his weight settled . Coach Smith was very smart scheduling the cowboy open let the best man win.

Maybe the guy at Air Force is a hammer on top or maybe the elevation took a toll but I’m sure there are better top wrestlers out there so that’s the concern I see. An yes I agree may the best man win.

By what measure/data are you suggesting that, he has only had one match, correct?

The only small data points we have... He has been out for awhile and when he returned to the mat he struggled. That’s all. He hopefully can round into shape and form as both guys being at or near their best this year will be good for whoever wins the spot.

Last edited:
John talked about Montalvo the other day, said he is one of the toughest guys he has ever been around. He also seemed pretty pleased with his effort at Air Force. Said he missed a lot of time, then made 174 for the first time and wrestled at altitude.

Reactions: tom_v31
I agree I wish he faced more top guys heading into nationals because I really feel like he is one of those talented young guys who you won’t beat twice.
It is likely AJ will get a chance at Adams in the Cowboy challenge. He also might get a chance to wrestle Elam from Missouri at the Cowboy challenge.

Last edited:
The only small date points we have... He has been out for awhile and when he returned to the mat he struggled. That’s all. He hopefully can round into shape and form as both guys being at or near their best this year will be good for whoever wins the spot.
Montalvo beat some very good wrestlers at 184 last year, Plott is getting better but still hasn't beat anyone. We've seen some very good wrestlers lose mid season at altitude, have you every competed at altitude? This was first match of the year, first time down to weight and was a single match at altitude. I still expect Montalvo to be the guy but its a free year so we just want the best guy at tournament time.

Montalvo beat some very good wrestlers at 184 last year, Plott is getting better but still hasn't beat anyone. We've seen some very good wrestlers lose mid season at altitude, have you every competed at altitude? This was first match of the year, first time down to weight and was a single match at altitude. I still expect Montalvo to be the guy but its a free year so we just want the best guy at tournament time.

Im a big fan of Taco and think he would of made noise at nationals last year so don’t take some message board discussion for more than what it is.

I just don’t think he is suited for 174 as it’s a really tough cut for him. I also think Plott has a higher ceiling but would love to see Taco be in our lineup somewhere. He has missed a lot of time, struggled with the cut and in a shortened season that is really tough making it less likely for him to overtaken extremely talented FR who is going to improve every time he takes the mat. It’s just one fans opinio.

Reactions: tom_v31
It is likely AJ will get a chance at Adams in the Cowboy challenge. He also might get a chance to wrestle Elam from Missouri at the Big 12 challenge.

That's a good point. 197 will be a tough mini tournament. You also have Wyoming's Stephen Buchanan (ranked slightly ahead of AJ in WrestleStat) and Dalton Abney of UCO. Abney caught my eye a couple of years ago when he beat Andrew Marsden.

Reactions: tom_v31 and osu2082
The only small data points we have... He has been out for awhile and when he returned to the mat he struggled. That’s all. He hopefully can round into shape and form as both guys being at or near their best this year will be good for whoever wins the spot.
I remember my senior year in high school, I broke my hand the second practice and got my cast of January 1st. It took me until the semi finals of state to start getting back into form. What he has going for him is everyone else has also had very few matches.

No I don't know for sure. Willie has him at 197 in his rankings, but a couple others have him at 184. Guess we'll have to wait until Michigan can wrestle to see where he's at.

Amine wrestled 197 last night.

Reactions: DPJ
Amine wrestled 197 last night.
I wonder if Surber who is a 197 will grow into a HWT next year naturally. In 2018 he was a 138, 2019 he was a 160, 2020 he was 182 and this year he is a 197. Also noticed Montalvo is not wrestling in the Cowboy Challenge.

I wonder if Surber who is a 197 will grow into a HWT next year naturally. In 2018 he was a 138, 2019 he was a 160, 2020 he was 182 and this year he is a 197. Also noticed Montalvo is not wrestling in the Cowboy Challenge.

Think so. We need Surber backing up 197 in this crazy year (covid/injuries), but he probably starts his bulk job the day after Nationals. Montalvo probably goes back to 184 unless Geer returns (would like to see that).

Daniel Jezik is in the 184 bracket.

Think so. We need Surber backing up 197 in this crazy year (covid/injuries), but he probably starts his bulk job the day after Nationals. Montalvo probably goes back to 184 unless Geer returns (would like to see that).

Daniel Jezik is in the 184 bracket.
Interested to see how Jezik does, I really liked him coming out of high school

Reactions: Wrassler17
I listened to Coach Smith talk to the media after the Cowboy Challenge. He indicated he is okay with Sheets in that he gave the message to take it easy, and don't risk further injury ( knee). At conference he will let him loose and knock on wood everything goes okay. It will be interesting who wrestles at Bedlam at 141 and he is hoping Hone will be ready by conference. He also said he thought AJ was going to get the winning takedown in the last 10 seconds but stopped moving his feet. He thought Geer and Plott got sloppy and lost focus. No mention of shoulder concerns just that Plott spaced out in the 2nd period and let his opponent back in the match and gave him confidence. Daton of course was great. Coach thought Boo not doing anything in the 2nd period cost him. He hopes Mastro learns from being upset. Lastly he said there are 2 Wittlake's the unaggressive 1 from the semi's and the aggressive scoring Wittlake in the finals.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I listened to Coach Smith talk to the media after the Cowboy Challenge. He indicated he is okay with Sheets in that he gave the message to take it easy, and don't risk further injury ( knee). At conference he will let him loose and knock on wood everything goes okay. It will be interesting who wrestles at Bedlam at 141 and he is hoping Hone will be ready by conference. He also said he thought AJ was going to get the winning takedown in the last 10 seconds but stopped moving his feet. He thought Geer and Plott got sloppy and lost focus. No mention of shoulder concerns just that Plott spaced out in the 2nd period and let his opponent back in the match and gave him confidence. Daton of course was great. Coach thought Boo not doing anything in the 2nd period cost him. He hopes Mastro learns from being upset. Lastly he said there are 2 Wittlake's the unaggressive 1 from the semi's and the aggressive scoring Wittlake in the finals.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know Hone should be back this year. Would love to have him this weekend. He has the ability to keep it to a regular decision with Demas. Anyone else we throw out there might be get pinned.

Who would go 141 for Bedlam if Hone is out? Would they bump Witcraft (since 125 looks decided)? Newton hasn't been wrestling lately and Nieman struggled at 133.

Reactions: alex2fly
It seems like the only options are an undersized wrestler: Neiman or Newton.
The options are slim to none and will no doubt be ugly vs Demas.

Wild thought. Bump up Fix and let Whitcraft cover 133. Not sure that Fix could beat Demas at 141 and he would get a TF at 133. Fun to discuss, but I wouldn't do it.

I think Fix would beat Demas and then you win 133 & 141. But as you said, I don't think it would ever happen because of the injury risk, especially so close to Nationals and the OTTs. Fun to think about though.

I think Fix would beat Demas and then you win 133 & 141. But as you said, I don't think it would ever happen because of the injury risk, especially so close to Nationals and the OTTs. Fun to think about though.

Agreed won’t happen but for the record I think Fix would major Demas. Different class of wrestlers and I think Demas is really talented.

My thought also at first but now that I think about it again I don't think Demas will hurt Fix. Demas likes to throw guys. Can't see him having any upper body success on Fix. Whitcraft should win 133 again (and weigh him in at 133). 133 would be no challenge for Fix. Fix needs a challenging match to get him ready for a NCAA championship. He will face tougher guys more likely to hurt him at the NCAA tournament. I say bump him up for Demas.

Agreed won’t happen but for the record I think Fix would major Demas. Different class of wrestlers and I think Demas is really talented.
I agree in the importance of making the Big 12 stronger which will help the Cowboys. The Missouri Wrestling Program would right away be the second strongest team in the Big 12. This year they would be the strongest team, probably. Next year we should be much stronger, I hope.

My thought also at first but now that I think about it again I don't think Demas will hurt Fix. Demas likes to throw guys. Can't see him having any upper body success on Fix. Whitcraft should win 133 again (and weigh him in at 133). 133 would be no challenge for Fix. Fix needs a challenging match to get him ready for a NCAA championship. He will face tougher guys more likely to hurt him at the NCAA tournament. I say bump him up for Demas.

I wouldn't do it personally. You know Demas would try something crazy and the Olympic Trials are only 6 weeks out. But even discounting the injury factor, I don't think someone like Demas helps prepare you for Nationals because he's too unconventional. Same with Eierman. If it was someone like Nick Lee then maybe. Probably not, but I'd consider it.

We beat them two weeks ago without Fix . Fix will bonus. John in his media scrum said he expected Hone to wrestle. We shouldn’t bump anyone around could end up like Michigan vs penn state losing both . I love Whitcraft but he isn’t super consistent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT