ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 Roster is UP on OKState Website

Never know how accurate this is but several notable and interesting weights....

Balmeceda at 141 (that can’t be correct can it?)

Geer at 184 (all signs point to bumping to 197)

G at 141 (he is a very high AA candidate at this weight)

Smith at 174 (I think probably the best weight for him)

Witlake at 165 (glad to see them committing to this cut early)

Reactions: JAY45

Several interesting things in the roster.

Pup Simmons isn’t showing ... which means we’ll probably have to burn a red shirt.

Did I miss Gowolenski’s transfer? Love Tuttle kids

Surely Balmeceda is a typo

Geer has to be 97.

Harris listed at 97, but undergoing a (hopefully) bulk job. Surely he can’t make that cut.

Bear has amazing hair.

Surprised to see Shomers at 57. Was led to believe it was an arduous cut last year.

I think 65 is a very tough cut for Witlake. Hope he’s got enough horsepower at the weight.

Lots of interesting freshman that are either here as walk ons or very limited money. Some could be intriguing.

We have some redshirts, with not much fanfare coming in, that I hear good things about. We are taking some athletes lately that are not celebrated wrestlers in hopes they can blossom in a real room with real strength and conditioning.

Putnam has some skill. Hopefully he really dedicated himself to getting bigger and stronger over the off season.

This is going to be a weird, but potentially interesting year.

Several interesting things in the roster.

Pup Simmons isn’t showing ... which means we’ll probably have to burn a red shirt.

Did I miss Gowolenski’s transfer? Love Tuttle kids

Surely Balmeceda is a typo

Geer has to be 97.

Harris listed at 97, but undergoing a (hopefully) bulk job. Surely he can’t make that cut.

Bear has amazing hair.

Surprised to see Shomers at 57. Was led to believe it was an arduous cut last year.

I think 65 is a very tough cut for Witlake. Hope he’s got enough horsepower at the weight.

Lots of interesting freshman that are either here as walk ons or very limited money. Some could be intriguing.

We have some redshirts, with not much fanfare coming in, that I hear good things about. We are taking some athletes lately that are not celebrated wrestlers in hopes they can blossom in a real room with real strength and conditioning.

Putnam has some skill. Hopefully he really dedicated himself to getting bigger and stronger over the off season.

This is going to be a weird, but potentially interesting year.
Balmeceda isn’t a typo came in super light.

Wow. Good for him. It would be great to have him as an option at 149 in the event Boo just can’t stay healthy (really hope he can!)
For Balmeceda it does not make sense to me that he is going to cut to 41 with G there. I watched matches of him wrestling in the last 2 years and his picture does not look anything like him when he wrestled especially his neck. 49 makes sense but I would not want to be cutting all kinds of weight unless I was starting. If he redshirts he shouldn't cut much weight and then can just work on improving his redshirt year instead of being focused on cutting weight and being tired. I do like the 149 option if Boo can't stay healthy this year and for the future. Also we really need to get Ferrari with Amos going to Wisconsin.

For Balmeceda it does not make sense to me that he is going to cut to 41 with G there. I watched matches of him wrestling in the last 2 years and his picture does not look anything like him when he wrestled especially his neck. 49 makes sense but I would not want to be cutting all kinds of weight unless I was starting. If he redshirts he shouldn't cut much weight and then can just work on improving his redshirt year instead of being focused on cutting weight and being tired. I do like the 149 option if Boo can't stay healthy this year and for the future. Also we really need to get Ferrari with Amos going to Wisconsin.
Yeah I was wondering what merit there’s be to him cutting that much. I thought he could barley make 145 as a high school junior.

Yeah I was wondering what merit there’s be to him cutting that much. I thought he could barley make 145 as a high school junior.
He was rather muscular in high school be interesting to see his build now.He was a bully and used his strength to push guys around.My opinion on him coming in was his attacks aren't the greatest but he's a brawler.If he's a 141 he's gonna have a tough time scoring on his feet

I’m sure he and the coaches have a pretty good plan for him. I don’t know that he is making some massive cut. He obviously has the ability to certify for 141 and 149. He was a likely RS candidate and will have a whole year for all to figure out where he feels best and helps the team the most weight wise.

When I see true freshman come in lower than expected it usually signals positive signs. Usually means kids jumped up their level of nutrition and off-season work in preparation for the college level.

Saw a team photo a couple of weeks back. Balmeceda and G were standing next to each other and looked to be about the same size.

I think Balmeceda @ 149 is potentially very good news, especially if nutrition changes help his conditioning. He could be a monster from the top position in college. Also, lineup wise it helps because guys like Travis Mastro, Surber, and Voinovich all appear to be 157 & up.

Reactions: osu2082
updated the spreadsheet for the changes. one of these days I will figure out how to put a link in without the whole sheet copying.

Balmeceda came in really light because spent a good amount of time recovery from an injury and just lost a lot of muscle/size. He wasn’t projected a 141 until he showed up on campus much smaller.

Marsden is still listed on Trackwrestling, maybe his absence on the roster is an oversight.

Can he beat Kaid? It's a tough lower weight as you already have a 2x All-American who's had to bump up a weight, and that hurt him last year (nice problem to have though, with Piccininni and Fix making him bump up) . Surely, he's been working on getting bigger this summer and fall to handle the work load.

Can he beat Kaid? It's a tough lower weight as you already have a 2x All-American who's had to bump up a weight, and that hurt him last year (nice problem to have though, with Piccininni and Fix making him bump up) . Surely, he's been working on getting bigger this summer and fall to handle the work load.
Kaid won't wrestle at least the first semester.

Balmeceda came in really light because spent a good amount of time recovery from an injury and just lost a lot of muscle/size. He wasn’t projected a 141 until he showed up on campus much smaller.

I think a smaller Balmeceda is a good thing. He has natural power, strength and aggression. His issue often times were gas tank and going against size and length.

It’s just opinion but yea I do think G at his natural weight beats Kaid at a weight that is very tough for him to manage. G pinned Lee of PSU at this weight and looks like a great fit size wise for 141. It doesn’t matter as Kaid is going to miss the entire season due to a torn ACL so G will get the opportunity to go at his natural weight.

Really looking forward to watching G and Demas a few times this year.

It’s just opinion but yea I do think G at his natural weight beats Kaid at a weight that is very tough for him to manage. G pinned Lee of PSU at this weight and looks like a great fit size wise for 141. It doesn’t matter as Kaid is going to miss the entire season due to a torn ACL so G will get the opportunity to go at his natural weight.

Really looking forward to watching G and Demas a few times this year.
Man, I hate to hear that about Kaid.

Here's to him recovering and bouncing back better than ever.

Reactions: osu2082
What’s the best guess for Lineups as of right now?
To open the season and by Tournament time?

125: Piccininni
133: Witcraft/Newton
141: Gfeller
149: Lewallen
157: Sheets/Shomers
165: Smith or Wittlake
174: Smith or Wittlake
184: Geer or Montalvo
197: Geer or Montalvo
HWT: Putnam?

Only comments- at 133, wouldn't surprise me to see Conner Wilson at least to open the season, to try to possibly save redshirts. Wittlake at 165, Joe at 174.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
Almost positive it will be Geer at 197 and Montalvo at 184. Travis and Joe will be at the weights CU61 posted above.

Balmeceda could be an option at 149 if Boo has any issues health wise.

125, 141, 149 and 174 all have high end AA to finalist potential. Here at 197 is also a good bet to be in the AA mix. I think we could be a pretty good tournament team based off 4-5 high finishes.

It’s a eligibility thing with his transfer. He’s on campus attending school and training. Just can’t compete until the second semester.

That's good news at this point. I had thought he was a no go. Not a world beater by any means but should let us RS Witcraft.

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
That's good news at this point. I had thought he was a no go. Not a world beater by any means but should let us RS Witcraft.
If Witcraft is our best 33 he should wrestle. With who we have coming in a redshirt down the road for Witcraft may prove beneficial for him and the cowboys. If healthy I would pick him to wrestle 33 this year.

If Witcraft is our best 33 he should wrestle. With who we have coming in a redshirt down the road for Witcraft may prove beneficial for him and the cowboys. If healthy I would pick him to wrestle 33 this year.

If he is better than Simmons sure. Not sure that is a given.

Some quick hits from the coach's show...

- 197, Geer might go up, nothing decided yet, will see how he looks over the next month
- 141, could be G if he gets his weight under control, if not will be Hone or maybe Balmeceda (John said he's tough)
- Said Witcraft practiced with the team today, so he doesn't have a skin issue. Said the Lehigh coach was not responsible for the disqualification controversy. Also said Conner Wilson did not weigh in because Witcraft was healthy and a go
- Very happy with the 2020 recruiting class. Gave a shoutout to Tyler Caldwell. Said still trying to get 1 more guy in the 2021 recruiting class

Some quick hits from the coach's show...

- 197, Geer might go up, nothing decided yet, will see how he looks over the next month
- 141, could be G if he gets his weight under control, if not will be Hone or maybe Balmeceda (John said he's tough)
- Said Witcraft practiced with the team today, so he doesn't have a skin issue. Said the Lehigh coach was not responsible for the disqualification controversy. Also said Conner Wilson did not weigh in because Witcraft was healthy and a go
- Very happy with the 2020 recruiting class. Gave a shoutout to Tyler Caldwell. Said still trying to get 1 more guy in the 2021 recruiting class
Geer might go up to heavyweight?

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Is Voinivich the final piece to the 2021 Class?

Is Voinivich the final piece to the 2021 Class?

It sure looks that way. He is at a needed weight, is a top tier national talent and we have some tie ins and have been in on him for awhile.

Geer might go up to heavyweight?

I guessing you were joking, but I think the best lineup (for now & next year) might actually be...

Montalvo/Geer/Harris/Putnam at 174-heavy. Then next year go Montalvo/Geer/Harris/Doucet (and redshirt Ferrari & Plott).

Montalvo is too good to sit this year, Geer could be a finalist @ 184, and Harris is a fighter, but just too light for heavy.

Of course if Montalvo & Harris didn't certify at 174/197 respectively, then just forget this whole thing.

I guessing you were joking, but I think the best lineup (for now & next year) might actually be...

Montalvo/Geer/Harris/Putnam at 174-heavy. Then next year go Montalvo/Geer/Harris/Doucet (and redshirt Ferrari & Plott).

Montalvo is too good to sit this year, Geer could be a finalist @ 184, and Harris is a fighter, but just too light for heavy.

Of course if Montalvo & Harris didn't certify at 174/197 respectively, then just forget this whole thing.
No I was legitimately confused. I thought you were saying Geer would move from 197 to HWT.

No I was legitimately confused. I thought you were saying Geer would move from 197 to HWT.

He was discussing Johns comments on Geer bumping up. The original plan was Geer at 184 but this weekend he wrestled at 197.

There is a question as to if he will stay at 184 or bump up to 197 for the rest of the season.

Yeah, I guess I could have worded that a little better.

One more tidbit from the show...John was praising the 2020 recruits and called Surber a "darkhorse".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT