ADVERTISEMENT

2016 world Cup this weekend

Ringer got ripped at the end IMO.
Agree with that Azchief32. The knee was down but since it was not called during the match the judges had to have indisputable proof that it was which even in slow motion you could not say for certain one way or another. In any event he should have not been behind 4-4 on criteria. He was not as aggressive and I really think he had to make a huge weight cut to get there. He has been known to be up above 190 and when Burroughs pulled out due to the baby I do not think he had enough time to pull down with any strength left. In any event that was the only loss for the US as Dennis got a forfeit at 56kg, Ramos won 3-3 on Criteria, Molinaro won 5-0, James Green had a 10-0 tech fall, J'den Cox had a 13-2 tech fall and Kyle Snyder had a 10-0 tech fall. India did not have a heavyweight.

Oberebo, hasn't he known for quite some time that he was on the team? He surely wouldn't have been that high this close. But think you are right, something was wrong and slowed him down.

Oberebo, hasn't he known for quite some time that he was on the team? He surely wouldn't have been that high this close. But think you are right, something was wrong and slowed him down.

He may not have been quite that high but he wouldn't have been in a normal cut mode which would have begun a week or two out but was likely shrunk down to a handful of days.

In any result he appeared to win with the winning TD at the end but lost a tough challenge.

I wonder if his first match was just nerves? Big stage, wasn't really expected to go, etc. Back to the same animal against AZE. Of course, could still be recovery time.

If I remember correctly, it was about a month ago when the team was announced. But, he probably didn't actually expect to wrestle, so cut may not have been made in the same way.

Last edited:
I wonder if his first match was just nerves? Big stage, wasn't really expected to go, etc. Back to the same animal against AZE. Of course, could still be recovery time.

If I remember correctly, it was about a month ago when the team was announced. But, he probably didn't actually expect to wrestle, so cut may not have been made in the same way.[/QUOTE
He did look much different this second match. The US shut out Azerbaijan. We wrestled Jake Varner at Heavy weight and he had a 10-0 tech fall so 8 matches to 0. Azerbaijan lost to Iran today 5 matches to 3 matches and it came down to heavy weight so looks good for our match against Iran tomorrow.

If I remember correctly, it was about a month ago when the team was announced. But, he probably didn't actually expect to wrestle, so cut may not have been made in the same way.

No excuses...it was a tough match and he left some on the table. Should have won. What impressed me more was he seemed to take it to heart and opened up in his second match...was up 8-0 and didn't stop wrestling and shooting until the whistle...If he had a few more seconds, he would have TF'd the guy who was broken and just trying to slap him at this point.

No excuses...it was a tough match and he left some on the table. Should have won. What impressed me more was he seemed to take it to heart and opened up in his second match...was up 8-0 and didn't stop wrestling and shooting until the whistle...If he had a few more seconds, he would have TF'd the guy who was broken and just trying to slap him at this point.
http://www.flowrestling.org/result/8848-uww-world-cup we will have to wrestle our best to win against Iran at 2PM tomorrow Oklahoma time. Iran has a ranked wrestler at every weight and we are ranked #5 at 70kg and #2 at 97kg.

http://www.flowrestling.org/result/8848-uww-world-cup we will have to wrestle our best to win against Iran at 2PM tomorrow Oklahoma time. Iran has a ranked wrestler at every weight and we are ranked #5 at 70kg and #2 at 97kg.
We lose to Iran 4 matches to 4 matches on criteria which was most likely the tech fall of Alex. Alex could not get any offense going and gave up several takedowns including a four pointer and lost 10-0.Frank Molinaro, James Green, J'den Cox and Kyle Snyder had wins for the U.S. team. We will wrestle Georgia for third place.

That bugs me. Georgia, who we wrestle for 3rd place, also is ranked at every weight. Is there a bias against the USA? We split 4-4 against Iran, so either we are underrated or some of their guys were overrated. Anyone that tells me Cox isn't worthy of a solid ranking needs to watch more of his matches.

That bugs me. Georgia, who we wrestle for 3rd place, also is ranked at every weight. Is there a bias against the USA? We split 4-4 against Iran, so either we are underrated or some of their guys were overrated. Anyone that tells me Cox isn't worthy of a solid ranking needs to watch more of his matches.
Iran defeated Russia for first place. We wrestled Georgia and Iran to a standstill and lost only on criteria points. Proud of Alex for his 2-2 showing but I strongly believe if Burroughs had been there we would be World cup champions. I am sure all the teams were missing one or two of their starters but this weekend proved that we are more than holding our own against the world's best.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Iran defeated Russia for first place. We wrestled Georgia and Iran to a standstill and lost only on criteria points. Proud of Alex for his 2-2 showing but I strongly believe if Burroughs had been there we would be World cup champions. I am sure all the teams were missing one or two of their starters but this weekend proved that we are more than holding our own against the world's best.
We need to remember that the Russians sent their 'B' squad to LA, if that. Out of the 8 weights in the finals against Iran, four were manned by the second best guy in Russia, one third best, another 4th best, and two were 6th best. None of their guys were Russian #1's at their weights. I like how we performed this weekend, and should medal at a few weights in Rio, but we should be cautious about extrapolating the USA/Iran results to the Iran/Russia results and then on to Rio.

We need to remember that the Russians sent their 'B' squad to LA, if that. Out of the 8 weights in the finals against Iran, four were manned by the second best guy in Russia, one third best, another 4th best, and two were 6th best. None of their guys were Russian #1's at their weights. I like how we performed this weekend, and should medal at a few weights in Rio, but we should be cautious about extrapolating the USA/Iran results to the Iran/Russia results and then on to Rio.
That may be true but I am hearing that the Russians have a huge doping scandal affecting several of their best wrestlers and this may be another reason they did not send their "A team".

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Iran really tries to win the World Cup. Last Olympic year they won then had only three medalist, 1 silver 2 bronze.

That may be true but I am hearing that the Russians have a huge doping scandal affecting several of their best wrestlers and this may be another reason they did not send their "A team".
I would never doubt that the Russians cheat. Never!!

In addition to Oberebo, pretty much every tournament the top level Russians and Iranians wrestle in is international while our guys may go to one or two in a year and wrestle one or two domestic tournaments.

In addition to Oberebo, pretty much every tournament the top level Russians and Iranians wrestle in is international while our guys may go to one or two in a year and wrestle one or two domestic tournaments.
so it's a funding issue since many of the tourneys are half a world away?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT