ADVERTISEMENT

2015 recruiting

april racer

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2011
I am very curious to see how this class pans out. There are a lot of kids in the junior (senior to be) class that have verballed(1) or that has ties to the school(that are ranked by Flo).

126: Brock

132:
Moore
Lewallen

138:
Moore
Sheets
Moran moved to Stillwater to be a poke it seems

152: Smith

182: Dierenger

220: Marsden

It should be fun.

Moran could be Arizona bound with new coach there, still hope he stays here. Andrew Marsden will be a 197 pounder in college, for the ones who haven't seen much of him on the mat, you better hope he comes to OSU because he could be that kind of a recruit.

What happens with the Moores? I hear they will stay together and the lower rated one may be the better one, he's just been hurt a lot. How are the Monday kids doing?

Originally posted by mike tognetti:
Moran could be Arizona bound with new coach there, still hope he stays here. Andrew Marsden will be a 197 pounder in college, for the ones who haven't seen much of him on the mat, you better hope he comes to OSU because he could be that kind of a recruit.
I am not disagreeing with Tognetti on Andrew Marsden. I think the jury is still out. He is not highly regarded in most polls but could have a banner senior year and jump higher. He is ranked at #11 at 220 in latest flo rankings but as Mike says he plans to wrestle at 195. The plan in the past was that he would be a heavyweight like his brother but apparently his major growth spurt has stopped. He is very talented as a wrestler but needs to stabilize his weight and become stronger. We have a very good recruit in Preston Weigel at 195 and he is ranked #7 at this time and we have Austin Schafer who will have 3 years of eligibility at 195 if he can hold the weight and he proved recently that he can be very good at 195. I am not sure with Weigel and Schafer that we have any desperate need for another 195 pounder but of course if he has a great year we will definitely be looking at him.

As far as the Moore twins go they may be in the same boat as we already have several very talented wrestlers at their weight. Kaid Brock is the star recruit we need in this class as he could definitely fill a need immediately at 125 and he is one of the top recruits in the country. I also think we need a heavyweight in the 2015 class for two reasons and 1. is to provide better competition for Marsden in the room and 2. We will need him when Austin graduates.

I would say that the two most needed weights to recruit for 2015 are the bookend weights of 125 and heavyweight. This is just my opinion only and I have no idea of what the coaches are thinking at this time. My opinions above are strictly my own and I would not want any recruit to feel that they have any bearing on who we recruit and why.

My opinion is oberebo's opinions are solid. By need, 125 and 285 seem most important. Still, I would hate for legacy wrestlers like K Moore, Z Moore, Dieringer, J. Smith (as if I need to mention him) and Marsden wrestler anywhere but Ok St.

I would never suggest that we do not take wrestlers like the Moores, Jordan Dierenger or Joe Smith and/or Andrew Marsden but we can not take everyone we want to have as we do not have the budget tor that. I am like everyone else in my assumption that Joe Smith is a lock and that dad will pick up his college expenses so that helps. The others may come for less since they are somewhat legacies although the Moore twins are the nephews of Hardell and not his sons. I also like Tristan Moran but since he came here from Arizona and now that Zeke Jones is the new coach he may choose to wrestle for him. At this point even the supposed locks like Brock and Smith are just speculation. It may be that Joe does not want to wrestle for his dad but I have not heard anything to back that up and Brock will have a lot of offers besides Oklahoma State.

hey guys hows the summer going for everyone. well it took me long enough to get back to the board but i do have a little information regarding our potential recruits and commits. i have heard from a good source that the day boo lewaleen commited all of the other guys (kaid, joe, moran) also committed on that same day but they did not make headlines because they were going to release it later. i'm sure everyone knew they were locks but not sure why they didn't want it to go to the media. if i'm not mistaken we had zach beard committed to okstate as well during his recruitment in the summer of his senior year and he didn't make the headlines during the summer and he eventually ended up going to wyoming.

i also went to the weight room last week to look at the guys lift and it was a great sight to see. they were really hitting the weight room hard. collica weighed in at about 170 and he will be at 41 next year, crutchmer was working out with caldwell and both looked supper jacked. also austin shaffer looked huge and mean. i can believe he wrestled 97. boyd and rogers were doing well. diringer was not in the room i think because he was at a camp and i did not see martseller who was out of town to receive a reward. i also did not see kilmara. i talked with kindig and the strength coach and they said marsteller was a little shorter than kindig so he would be about 5'5 or 5'6. the strength coach said it is a good chance he will start out at 65.... i saw two of the new recruits working together, wiegle will probably wrestle 84 starting out but has the frame to grow into a 97. he weighed in at 195 when he first got to the room a couple of weeks ago. and the younger rogers was working with him and he looked like a great leader. but the strength coach said he loved marsteller and bless but he seemed extra excited about blees and his mentality. i didn't get a chance to go watch live practice because i went to a little kids football camp osu was having but i'm sure other wrestler i missed were there. super excited about the season and this years recruiting class. so many questions for a new team and so many good young recruits at the same weight. who will it be.

30 pound cut for Collica seems like a lot.

I was really hoping that Marsteller could go at 157. My guess is Blees outgrows him. Austin is going to be a big 97.

Looks like a lower weight log jam to come with the kids committed. I hope that doesn't negatively impact Daton Fix's recruiting. That kid is a stud.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

i can remember oliver during the summer would blow up to about 165 to 167 and then wrestle 133 for the year so yes it maybe a huge cut but it's manageable with the correct nutrition plan. collicas main focus during the summer is getting stronger. i heard one of the trainers say he was the weakest 41 pounder in the country so with added strength he can be a force. fix is a freshman or soph so he will have a few years for those other guys to move out.

This post was edited on 6/24 7:54 AM by thompsonja

thompson great post, Kaid Brock made headlines in the Oklahoman paper announcing his decision on coming to OSU. Great pickup with another stud from Oklahoma staying home and wrestling for OSU. Next up will be Moran and then Joe. 2015 recruiting class is going to follow 2014 class with just as much quality of recruits. I feel we will have 6 or 7 recruits (2 from out of state) from the top 100 and 3 from the top 11. Another great recruiting class from John and coaches, I'm getting alittle ahead of myself but that is what this board is all about.
This post was edited on 6/25 6:53 AM by mike tognetti

The Oklahoman article also had Jonce Blaylock joining his old teammate Davey Dolan in Stillwater.

I know that we have had reports on here from the paper and some inside info, but on flo they have added both Joe Smith and Kaid Brock as commitments. That gives us 3 in the top 39 so far.

I am assuming we get all the guys listed in this thread. I also would assume Jordan Dierenger comes here since his family moved to Stillwater; I assume they moved so they could see all of their kids wrestle. Sounds like Mike thinks we will get one of the other top guys, I am thinking he is thinking Hayes. I would also really like to see Marsden join his brother.

Has anyone heard anything about Tyler Mann? I think he is a 2014 recruit, on his schools website it says that he signed a letter of intent last November. This past weekend he went 7-1 with 7 TFs, his only loss was to Logan Massa(Who is an absolute beast, he's has recently beaten both Blees and Brill, both highly rated 2014 commitments)

After this weekend, I am a big believer in Jacobe Smith. He only wrestled three times, but I witnessed two of them. Like Ed Ruth, he can pull in a single leg without fully committing to a shot just using his reach. He is another from the 2014 class rumored but not confirmed to being at OSU.

Tyler Mann is already in the room at OSU. He looked really good over the weekend. There is two more in the top 11 looking at OSU. Both are the real deal. Joe and Kaid was Cowboys when they we're born! Tristan is going to move up the rankings by the end of summer (this is Tristan very first season wrestling freestyle). Next up for him is Fargo. Another big recruit that really showed alot of talent is Jacobe Smith which destroyed everybody he faced is going to take a year off to take care of somethings. He said he is still going to come to OSU next year and loves the group of recruits coming in to OSU. Two weeks ago Jacobe weighted 182 and that is one of the reasons he didn't make weight for Greco.

This post was edited on 7/1 2:26 PM by mike tognetti

This post was edited on 7/1 2:29 PM by mike tognetti

A future update on Mark Hall (170 Jr) which loves the Cowboys has grown some and I believe he is going to be a 184 guy in college.

"collicas main focus during the summer is getting stronger. i heard one of the trainers say he was the weakest 41 pounder in the country so with added strength he can be a force."

I am constanly amazed at how well Collica stays with opponents that clearly look to be superior in strength; yet it does not seem to be a problem. I think experience will make a huge difference this year in how he performs; of course, getting stronger won't hurt him.

I have seen a lot of wrestlers that are weak on the weights but absolutely freaks of nurture on the mat. Think about it: come down on your head at a real slow rate with a 20lb hammer and you will barely feel it. Take a 1 lb hammer and come down 20 times faster and your head will explode. Those fast twitch muscles will fool you into under estimating wrestling strength.

I am dissapointed the strength coach does not understand fast twitch vs slow twitch muscles.

Hey there Okie. I think your missing the just of the statement concerning collica. The strength coach for okstate is a great strength coach an a certified master strength coach. (Only a handful of those in college sports) the s tatemeant suggest added strength for collica not about slow or fast twitch muscle. Those guys do Olympic lifts in there work outs to accolade the fast twitch muscles that u are talking about . Good technique which collica has is what kept him in a lot of his matches against stronger opponets. with added strength as they said would take his wrestling to the next level. The strength coach an john work hand and hand and if john didnt trust him he wouldnt be coaching his wrestlers.

I hear Jacobe might be the best of all the guys coming up in these classes, other than Fix. More natural ability that will explode with better coaching. I also hear Lewellyn may be backtracking. I see Moore is ranked higher, but the Moores are a package. However I also hear the lower rated Moore might be better but has just had injury problems. Where was White from Edmond North for this last weekends wrestling?

Northmarion 2001 appreciate your reply. Personally, I would recruit those fast twitch guys. They are so much fun to watch. What makes wrestling such a great sport is that if offers opportunities for a variety of strength, technique, balance, speed, and mental abilities to compete successfully. No matter how good your physical talent, you need a little bit of brain power. The more combination of abilities one can hone, the more successfull one should be.

On reflection: I am still not sure that a fast twitch guy needs to spend much time in the weight room, but that is just my opinion.

Originally posted by mike tognetti:

A future update on Mark Hall (170 Jr) which loves the Cowboys has grown some and I believe he is going to be a 184 guy in college.
Mark Hall will likely either be a cowboy or a gopher but I just don't see him being big enough for 184. He is an undersized 170 right now against high school kids and can get away with it because he is that much better than most. Against top college kids it is going to be a lot tougher to give away a lot of size. He honestly looks like a 165 to me

1stplacehawk have you seen him lately? It seem that he has had a growth spurt lately. The last time i saw him was last summer, he is alot taller now.

If he had the growth spurt it has been in the last week as he was wrestling at 170 last weekend. I take it that Hall is a rising Senior in high school. Wow, we would be very deep at the174 and 184 weights if we get Hall.

Hall is just a rising Jr. As you probably already know, he is arguably the top P4P HS wrestler in the country now that we can't consider Pico a HS wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT