ADVERTISEMENT

2014 US World team trials FS

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
Today they have the matches at 57 kg, 97 kg and 125 kg. Oklahoma State has two entrants at 97 kg. Cayle Byers scored a 12-2 tf over Cam Simaz in his first round matchup and will have a tough battle in his second round with J.D. Bergman of NYAC/Ohio. Jack Jensen lost an 0-8 decision to J'Den Cox.

Byers just defeated Bergman 6-4. He has Kilgore next.

This post was edited on 5/31 11:05 AM by april racer

Anybody have an info about Dierenger? I figured we would see him at some of these FS tournaments.

Byers beating Bergman is a big surprise, no? Pretty sure Deringer isn't wrestling freestyle this summer....

Originally posted by april racer:
Anybody have an info about Dierenger? I figured we would see him at some of these FS tournaments.
In a recent interview AD mentioned he was going to lay off some of the tournaments and focus on working on his technique and overall skillset. Also said he would focus on his strength and weight. He will be a beast at 165.

The other three freestyle brackets are today. At 86kg Clayton Foster is on the top of the bracket and received a bye into the Qtrs and will wrestle the winner of Austin Trotman and Enock Francois. Chris Perry will wrestle Jon Reader in a quarter final match. Quentin Wright will wrestle Phillip Keddy and Ed Ruth will wrestle the winner between Robert Hamlin and Pat Downey.
At 74kg Tyler Caldwell wrestles Lucas Smith of Central Michigan. Other bouts include David Taylor vs. the winner of Quinton Godley and Moza Fay and Andrew Howe vs. the Caldwell/ Smith match.
At 654kg Jordan Oliver will wrestle Nick Dardanes and Coleman Scott will wrestle Frank Molinaro. Jason Chamberlain will wrestle Reece Humphrey and the top seed Kellen Russell will wrestle Nick Fanthorpe.

The weight class changes are stupid to me. So what about the Olympic decision, wrestle the rest of the matches with some sanity.

Coleman probably will be more comfortable up, but now he's got the potential of facing JO. Perry is having to wrestle at what is essentially 190.

Just feels wrong.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Anyone have any information on the free style tournament in Dodge City, KS? Joe Smith and several other "Cowboys to be" are in the tournament. I cannot find anything.

If you go to trackwrestling and go to tournaments, hit the search function above all the tournaments listed and enter kansas in the state field it pops up first. I will try to update later, but I can't now. I did see that Tristan Moran won and Fredy Stoker is in Joe Smiths weight.

Foster tf 10-0 over Reader. Chris Perry pins Enock Francois and Andrew Howe dec. Caldwell 6-3. Coleman Scott forfeited to Nick Fanthorpe.

Ruth wins 7-3. Another close match. Ruth got 2 at the end. I think these 2 will have many close ones in the future.

Perry beats reader by pin. It was a defensive pin. I am not sure if he still wrestles foster for true third. Do they do it no matter what? I know many times if you lost to the second place finisher you don't wrestle him again. Not sure what happens when the guy you lost to lost to the guy who got second.

Congrats to all of them! We have a great team representing the US, I wish there were more weights so we could distribute the talent. We have some guys who lost the last few days who would do a great job representing the US.

In case everyone hasn't heard the world team is:
57 kg Tony Ramos
65 kg Brent Metcalfe
74 kg Jordon Burroughs
86 kg Ed Ruth
97 kg Jake Varner
125 kg Tervel Dlagnev

With 2 weights (61 and 70? the non-Olympic weights) to be wrestled at a later date. Interesting to see if anyone who wrestled this weekend shows up at those weights to take another run at it.

We saw Oliver trying to do that one year and it was not pretty. That is 134.5 pounds or just about two weights below where he was wrestling as a senior in college. I do not believe he can be effective even if he could make the weight. His best bet is to remain where he is. He is getting beat by Metcalf now just as Metcalf had to take his licks coming out of college. Oliver is farther along the Olympic and world team ladder now than Metcalf was when he first entered International wrestling. I am not knocking Metcalf as I think he has shown he can be a force at this weight internationally but in 2-3 years he may want to retire or may be forced to retire by Oliver or maybe not. For now Oliver's course is to wrestle and get better at the higher weight.

2010-2014 Metcalf has been 1,2,2,1,1. Not sure it can be said JO is further along at the same point in their careers. Not knocking JO either they will have many battles to come.

Originally posted by oberebo:
We saw Oliver trying to do that one year and it was not pretty. That is 134.5 pounds or just about two weights below where he was wrestling as a senior in college. I do not believe he can be effective even if he could make the weight. His best bet is to remain where he is. He is getting beat by Metcalf now just as Metcalf had to take his licks coming out of college. Oliver is farther along the Olympic and world team ladder now than Metcalf was when he first entered International wrestling. I am not knocking Metcalf as I think he has shown he can be a force at this weight internationally but in 2-3 years he may want to retire or may be forced to retire by Oliver or maybe not. For now Oliver's course is to wrestle and get better at the higher weight.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was that far down. I always mess up the international weights. As for Oliver, it seems a lot of his problems are more mental at this point. Although he lost to Metcalf I would say the tourney overall was a step in the right direction especially beating Russell. I wouldn't say he's even in his prime yet so when he puts it all together he's going to be a force imo.

I know everyone says this about mean-faced wrestlers, but I would love to see what Metcalf could do in MMA.

I don't think we'll see Brent in MMA. Ramos, on the other hand, implied in an interview during the season, that MMA was something on his mind and was a bit of a distraction in the first half of the season. There was some pause after the NCAAs whether he was going to continue in freestyle, but we know what he ultimately decided. I believe the Team Ramos brand will be a part of MMA eventually.

Originally posted by moug:
I don't think we'll see Brent in MMA. Ramos, on the other hand, implied in an interview during the season, that MMA was something on his mind and was a bit of a distraction in the first half of the season. There was some pause after the NCAAs whether he was going to continue in freestyle, but we know what he ultimately decided. I believe the Team Ramos brand will be a part of MMA eventually.
Was he training other disciplines during the season? The work ethic of the D1 wrestler, is, IMO, the wild card. Eventually MMA will be dominated by guys that have been training everything their entire lives instead of being a wrestler, kick boxer, etc that catch up as much as they can to other disciplines. But the D1 wrestler....that work ethic....the experience cutting weight....that eventual domination may be a while off.

I always cheer for the wrestler in almost any MMA fight. Ramos may challenge that.
tongue.r191677.gif

Nah, IIRC it was a Flo interview that seemed to be a Skype conversation from Ramos' living room. I no longer have a Flo subscription or I'd try to find the interview. My impression was that the opportunities that a NCAA championship could provide were somewhat clouding his focus a bit, certainly not that he was actually training in anything other than folkstyle. Again, if I recall correctly the lead-in question was about his future in freestyle or MMA after graduation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT