ADVERTISEMENT

“The Smiths” is must listen

tom_v31

2nd Team
Jan 24, 2020
Bartlesville
I have seen a couple of comments on other threads but I haven’t seen a specific thread about. On the podcast “wrestling changed my life,” there is a 7 or 8 part series on the The smith brothers and their wrestling success. It is awesome.

I have seen a couple of comments on other threads but I haven’t seen a specific thread about. On the podcast “wrestling changed my life,” there is a 7 or 8 part series on the The smith brothers and their wrestling success. It is awesome.
I just finished the 9th episode and I really enjoyed it. I remember Pat Smith's senior year where it was obvious that he had rib problems at the Big 12's I think. It seemed to slow him down of course which caused concern because I really wanted that 4th title for Pat Smith. To win the team championship and for Pat to get his 4th and for Allan Fried after losing a year to get a National Championship was a special day. Oh and also for Branch to win after a losing record added a lot to the day. I was at the Big 12 Championship that day because I now remember in the semi's Mark Branch was beating the number 1 seeded Sooner handily and then Mark got pinned. But I could see that Mark had jumped a level and then jumped maybe another level during the 12 days to the Nationals. My memory is Mark Could take the Oklahoma wrestler down at will but made a mistake and got put on his back. Painful but more that made up for at Nationals.

Mark got beat by the kid from Perry at the Big 12's. I remember his Dad was on the same plane to North Carolina. That was a really great tournament. We were at a bar on Saturday before the finals and this crazy Irishman stood on his head and chugged a beer with two former Iowa wrestlers (National Championship Brothers) holding the table while he did it.

2 Episodes In.
This will (rightly) create an entire new generation of animosity toward Dan Gable.
My 10 year old is furious!
😆🤣

I listened to the 1st episode last night, it's terrific.

Didn't know the details about the Smith/Lewis controversy, so I looked up some old articles. Wow. Had no idea what Gable did and that he was censured by USAW.

I used to love Gable, but then I moved to Oklahoma and now I mysteriously don’t like him now, but I can’t believe he would have an ulterior motive in the matter. I wasn’t there but I think we could give him the benefit of the doubt....Don’t hate on me.

I used to love Gable, but then I moved to Oklahoma and now I mysteriously don’t like him now, but I can’t believe he would have an ulterior motive in the matter. I wasn’t there but I think we could give him the benefit of the doubt....Don’t hate on me.
He really did wrong because he was the Olympic Coach and he was not to be biased and he took this case for Lewis to court. Clear powerful bias for Lewis over Smith. I don't hate Gable but he really did wrong in this situation and likely never coached an Olympic or World team again.

Google "Lee Roy Smith, Randy Lewis" and look for a PDF titled "Lewis_Smith_AWN.pdf".

He really did wrong because he was the Olympic Coach and he was not to be biased and he took this case for Lewis to court. Clear powerful bias for Lewis over Smith. I don't hate Gable but he really did wrong in this situation and likely never coached an Olympic or World team again.
Ouch!

I listen to all of the episodes through last Tuesday and I seem to remember that they said that Gable was coaching John in one of the events he wrestled and this would have tp be after the fact. Although I may be wrong.

I'm still only through episode 1, but John was on the 1986 Goodwill Games team coached by Gable. Maybe that is what they referenced. Also, is it true Gable was never head coach of another World/Olympic team? (I know he wasn't in '88,'92,'96).

Here's John's match from that 1986 Goodwill Games. John beats Khaysar Isayev of the Soviet Union. Isayev would then go on to win the 1986 Worlds over Joe McFarland. John didn't compete at Worlds in 1986 because it was during October of his junior year. John then won an NCAA title in 1987 and beat Isayev a few months later for the 1987 World title.

If John had wrestled in 1986 we would be calling him a 7 timer now.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
I'm still only through episode 1, but John was on the 1986 Goodwill Games team coached by Gable. Maybe that is what they referenced. Also, is it true Gable was never head coach of another World/Olympic team? (I know he wasn't in '88,'92,'96).

Here's John's match from that 1986 Goodwill Games. John beats Khaysar Isayev of the Soviet Union. Isayev would then go on to win the 1986 Worlds over Joe McFarland. John didn't compete at Worlds in 1986 because it was during October of his junior year. John then won an NCAA title in 1987 and beat Isayev a few months later for the 1987 World title.

If John had wrestled in 1986 we would be calling him a 7 timer now.

Was that unbelievable defense when the Russian did not get a takedown with John just not quite letting the Russian get around him for control. Refs gave the Russian 1 point anyway but then John got more aggressive shooting and took over the match.

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT