ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube TV

ExileOnPerkinsSt.

Heisman Candidate
Jan 22, 2009
Stillwater
I'm cutting the cord. Sick of paying Dish over $100 a month and not have any Fox channels. Normally I could overlook it, but this is the second or third time they have done this so I'm done with them. Signed up for a YouTube TV trial last night. Like it so far. I'm not a huge TV watcher, mostly just sports, most of my TV watching is movies or Netflix. Anybody have any experience with YouTube TV? Thoughts? Prayers?

YouTube tv is better because it has all the locals and unlimited dvr.

It also will have you covered for sports.

Ps vue is close 2nd but I had some technical issues and only had 3/4 of the locals I think.

Don’t go to sling or others, sub par IMO and lack the features mentioned above

YouTube tv is better because it has all the locals and unlimited dvr.

It also will have you covered for sports.

Ps vue is close 2nd but I had some technical issues and only had 3/4 of the locals I think.

Don’t go to sling or others, sub par IMO and lack the features mentioned above

Good stuff. Thanks for the info. I thought about going the PS Vue route but heard similar things to what you just said.

MLB is what keeps me from going youtubetv. Having Houston, Texas, Kansas city and St Louis home games blacked out (even on mlb package) sucks! If Youtube would ever get ATT Sports SW, I would cut the cord immediately.

So I didn’t see FSOK as part of the regionals? Am I missing that? So far directv now looks to be aboust same price but with more channels

So on the website when I type in my zip it brings up a lot of the fox channels but not fox sports OK. Shows fox sports southwest

PS Vue has been great. It took my market a good long while to get locals (north-central Indiana). But, it is good. Youtube TV is suppose to be great, too.

Looks like only 3 simultaneous streams at a time. What do you do on CFB Saturday? I will have 7 TVs going some days, with 5 different games going.

So I didn’t see FSOK as part of the regionals? Am I missing that? So far directv now looks to be aboust same price but with more channels

Do a trail for both, you'll see that YTTV's UI and DVR are superior to DTV Now.

But everyone should do a trial for all of the streaming services to see what fits you/your family the most.

Reactions: The Duke
Looks like only 3 simultaneous streams at a time. What do you do on CFB Saturday? I will have 7 TVs going some days, with 5 different games going.

You can log into the providers streaming apps as well.... so if you have 3 streams with YTTV you can log into ESPN / Fox on your other TV's and use your log in to watch the other games.

Reactions: squeak

You can log into the providers streaming apps as well.... so if you have 3 streams with YTTV you can log into ESPN / Fox on your other TV's and use your log in to watch the other games.

What @OSUIvan said...

Reactions: OSUIvan and squeak
Been playing with YTTV for a few weeks now and love it. Bought a fire stick last weekend so that i don't have to keep casting my phone to my TV, and the two make a good pair. The YTTV app on firestick gives you a full program guide that you can scroll several hours forward on, where the phone app only shows whats on right now. I think the web site only goes out 2 hours.

What kind of internet speed do you need to make this work well?

What kind of internet speed do you need to make this work well?
For full-time streaming services and several devices probably connected all the time...I would say at a MINIMUM 100mbps download speeds. I would go higher if available. Also, be aware of data caps that your ISP may have in place (which is bullshit)...

For full-time streaming services and several devices probably connected all the time...I would say at a MINIMUM 100mbps download speeds. I would go higher if available. Also, be aware of data caps that your ISP may have in place (which is bullshit)...

I disagree, it depends how many streams you have going at the same time. But here is the rule of thumb for Youtube, I assume YTTV is going to be similar if not the exact same...
  • 2.5 Mb/s to stream 720p HD content.
  • 4 Mb/s to stream 1080p HD content.
  • 15 Mb/s to stream 4K Ultra HD content.
When I was on vaction at gulf shores the internet was topping out at 2mbs and we were able to stream netflix, yttv, hulu with a few hiccups every now and then.

So it really depends how many people are in your house and if they're all going to be watching TV at the same time. My bigger worry is data caps than speed.

here are the recommendations for some other services...

NETFLIX
  • 0.5 Mb/s to view standard definition movies on a laptop computer. While you can stream Netflix at speeds of 0.5 Mb/s, the quality is grainy on a large screen, much like watching an old VHS movie. Netflix recommends at least 1.5 Mb/s.
  • 3 Mb/s to view standard definition video (480p) on a TV.
  • 4 Mb/s to view high definition video (720p, 1080p).
  • 5 Mb/s or more for the best 1080p experience.
  • 15 Mb/s to stream 4K (but 25 Mb/s is preferred). Also recommended is a 4K Ultra TV with an HEVC decoder.
HULU
  • 1.5 Mb/s to stream standard definition content.
  • 3 Mb/s for 720p high definition videos.
  • 6 Mb/s to stream 1080p HD content.
  • 13 Mb/s for 4K Ultra HD videos.

AMAZON VIDEO
  • 1 Mb/s to stream standard definition content.
  • 3.5 Mb/s to stream HD content (720p and 1080p).
  • 15 Mb/s for 4K Ultra HD videos.

I disagree, it depends how many streams you have going at the same time. But here is the rule of thumb for Youtube, I assume YTTV is going to be similar if not the exact same...
  • 2.5 Mb/s to stream 720p HD content.
  • 4 Mb/s to stream 1080p HD content.
  • 15 Mb/s to stream 4K Ultra HD content.
When I was on vaction at gulf shores the internet was topping out at 2mbs and we were able to stream netflix, yttv, hulu with a few hiccups every now and then.

So it really depends how many people are in your house and if they're all going to be watching TV at the same time. My bigger worry is data caps than speed.

here are the recommendations for some other services...

NETFLIX
  • 0.5 Mb/s to view standard definition movies on a laptop computer. While you can stream Netflix at speeds of 0.5 Mb/s, the quality is grainy on a large screen, much like watching an old VHS movie. Netflix recommends at least 1.5 Mb/s.
  • 3 Mb/s to view standard definition video (480p) on a TV.
  • 4 Mb/s to view high definition video (720p, 1080p).
  • 5 Mb/s or more for the best 1080p experience.
  • 15 Mb/s to stream 4K (but 25 Mb/s is preferred). Also recommended is a 4K Ultra TV with an HEVC decoder.
HULU
  • 1.5 Mb/s to stream standard definition content.
  • 3 Mb/s for 720p high definition videos.
  • 6 Mb/s to stream 1080p HD content.
  • 13 Mb/s for 4K Ultra HD videos.

AMAZON VIDEO
  • 1 Mb/s to stream standard definition content.
  • 3.5 Mb/s to stream HD content (720p and 1080p).
  • 15 Mb/s for 4K Ultra HD videos.

This. 100mbs is not needed in any way. I max out at 5mbs and can stream YTTV in HD perfectly fine.

Granted, thats 1080p, no 4k, and only 1 device, but still.

Pics please, sounds epic
Nothing special. Just a wet bar with sink and fridge, another high bar with seating for viewing. Couch and recliner in front of bar. 5 TVs in front of you, all on different channel. And up the stairs from that is the pool room with bar and TV.

More like a dive bar.

AT&T just does not want me as a customer. Signed up right at a year ago for 55 channels and $40 per month.

Around April they reconfigured and upped it to $50 per month while reducing my channels to 40.

Just now got an email raising it to $65. That's a 62.5% increase in a year.

I'll be re investigating youtubeTV

AT&T just does not want me as a customer. Signed up right at a year ago for 55 channels and $40 per month.

Around April they reconfigured and upped it to $50 per month while reducing my channels to 40.

Just now got an email raising it to $65. That's a 62.5% increase in a year.

I'll be re investigating youtubeTV

AT&T is one of the worst companies in history.

YouTubeTV is legit. No contract either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT